advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
eBay saga continues from bad to worse
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: December 17, 2019 09:20AM
Follow up from yesterday's post eBay-er wants to meet locally instead of paying for shipping

The winning bidder wants me to ship to Israel. Well, that's not gonna happen. My listing specified shipping to United States. So what happens now? I looked on eBay's Rules and Policies and related links, but couldn't find additional info. No payment has been made. What happens now?

And I'm pretty sure I can't go back to the original, local bidder to arrange a direct exchange outside of eBay. That's in violation of something, right?

THIS is why I don't sell on eBay!

bunny smileyCentral VA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: eBay saga continues from bad to worse
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 17, 2019 09:28AM
There should be something that allows you to request a cancellation if the buyer agrees. Contact eBay and let them know that you aren’t shipping internationally.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: 3d
Date: December 17, 2019 09:36AM
Dear buyer. Shipping (and handling) will cost $182 to Israel. Please pay in full at your earliest convenience. Thank you.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 17, 2019 09:38AM
just calculate shipping cost and provide it to the buyer. let them decide.

Posted by: fmgtech
Date: December 17, 2019 09:40AM
I don't think you have to get the buyer's approval anymore to cancel a transaction.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 17, 2019 09:45AM
fmgtech
I don't think you have to get the buyer's approval anymore to cancel a transaction.

I believe you do once the bidding is over.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Acer
Date: December 17, 2019 09:57AM
(eBay has an international shipping service, where you ship it to a depot for the normal domestic rate and eBay takes it from there. I've had maybe a couple buyers do it. But it's otherwise invisible to me. Apparently that option is not in play.)

I've shipped internationally direct to eBay buyers. Essentially it's just a little longer than usual visit to the Post Office to fill a couple additional forms. (And that was before USPS really had it's online portal up and running, might be able to print the forms at home.)

I would add a suitable handling fee to cover my time and annoyance.
Date: December 17, 2019 10:08AM
My listing specified shipping to United States. I'm not comfortable shipping internationally.
I did see where I can cancel the transaction. I'm not sure of any implications though.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 17, 2019 10:10AM
I changed my sales to USA only ("no international shipping") some time ago after a massive PITA sale of a couple of external HDDs to Europe; Germany, I think. It wasn't a question of costs (the buyer paid for the additional shipping/duty/whatever) it was the hassle. Decided I wasn't going to do that anymore.

I still have occasional trouble with redirect shippers and have even had eBay/PayPal step in and cancel a sale/transaction after I got paid.

If you did not specify no international shipping at the time of the auction set up, or have it set up that way in your general preferences, then technically you would be in the wrong for not going through with the sale.

There's a second-chance offer option if the main bidder defaults (i.e., doesn't pay or cancels after winning) but I don't think that applies in a situation like this.

As far as a local pickup goes, that's allowable on eBay but, I think, only if you specify that at the auction's onset. (I've never done that so I'm a bit cloudy on it.)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 17, 2019 10:11AM
CJsNvrUrly
I'm not sure of any implications though.

What's the worst that can happen, they won't let you sell on eBay? Sounds like you're unlikely to do so anyway!
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 17, 2019 11:47AM
Acer
(eBay has an international shipping service, where you ship it to a depot for the normal domestic rate and eBay takes it from there. I've had maybe a couple buyers do it. But it's otherwise invisible to me. Apparently that option is not in play.)

I would only ship internationally now via eBay's Global Service. It's really easy and if there are any issues past the US depot, eBay takes care of it. I had the depot eff up an order three ways (my item went to the wrong buyer, my buyer got a completely different package that wasn't intended for the buyer that got my item, etc). But eBay refunded the buyers and I kept my money from the sale, and they'll remove any negative feedback that may result from such a mess up, damaged items, late items (assuming you get it to the depot on time and safely), etc.

So, anyway, if you got a good price, you might consider re-listing with a buy-it-now at that price with Global Shipping enabled and sending it to the buyer for their consideration. But they may back out anyway once they see the shipping price.

Or cancel the sale and do a 2nd chance offer to the next buyer, if the auction ended as an auction and not a buy it now.
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 17, 2019 12:04PM
Whenever I sell on ebay, I always choose USA only. NO International shipping. If you stated that in the listing, I'm pretty sure you can cancel the winning bid without implication.
Posted by: rz
Date: December 17, 2019 12:19PM
I've heard tales where a seller specifies US only, and ebay changes it on them. I think if you relist an item, it will default back to allowing international shipping.

I stopped selling on ebay a long time ago... I was a Power Seller at the time. It was just becoming too much of a hassle. Sounds like a nightmare now.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 17, 2019 12:19PM
My listing specified shipping to United States

and

My listing specified shipping to United States.

Did CJ have to also specify No International Shipping, or was that part of the above.

I don't sell on eBay, but I'm pretty sure I've seen stories posted here about people winning an auction and wanting international shipping even though it wasn't offered, that turned out be be a maneuver to scam the seller.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 17, 2019 01:06PM
What you state in the text a listing can't conflict with the terms that you select in the sale.

In the sales form there is an 'International Shipping' option. It needs to be set to 'No international shipping'. That way users based outside of the US CAN NOT bid. The winning bidder's address should be a USA address.

Simply say 'no' to the Israel request and continue to demand payment. After a period of non payment they will be in violation of ebays rules and you can either relist or make a 'second chance offer' to the 2nd, 3rd or 4th place bidder (or any bidder).
Date: December 17, 2019 01:42PM
hal
What you state in the text a listing can't conflict with the terms that you select in the sale.

In the sales form there is an 'International Shipping' option. It needs to be set to 'No international shipping'. That way users based outside of the US CAN NOT bid. The winning bidder's address should be a USA address. .

Yeah; this. You can't just say it in the listing; you have to have this set.

FWIW, I've never had this setting changed on me (the "no intl sales" one). eBay does, routinely, change my selection for "Or Best Offer" (I very very rarely have ever used it). I've had it selected/changed on me countless times.

Date: December 17, 2019 01:49PM
Is this not clear enough? Will it not cover me?

bunny smileyCentral VA
Date: December 17, 2019 01:51PM
CJsNvrUrly

I would say that covers you; yes. Just contact ebay and report it as an issue.

Posted by: hal
Date: December 17, 2019 01:54PM
yes - that covers you

a bidder has no right to expect you to ship to Israel - have you responded to the winning bidder?
Posted by: Cary
Date: December 17, 2019 03:08PM
I ship internationally through the eBay international program. As stated, I ship to a US address, and eBay handles the international portion. I don't worry about any of that.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 17, 2019 03:19PM
I just shipped an item to Japan, through eBay's Erlanger, KY address.

but in 20 years of selling and buying stuff, the only negative I got was this year when I shipped something to Europe and the guy didnt' get it. apparently, he was supposed to pick it up from somewhere, and didn't, and of course, left a negative feedback. eBay cleared me in a claim he filed but didn't remove the negative. I was rip(___) but can't get them to change it. and since I don't sell much, that negative looks like hell as a percentage.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 17, 2019 04:25PM
....even more....worser......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 17, 2019 05:11PM
If they are using the global shipping solution it should be fine. You mail it to an US based distribution center and they handle the rest.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 17, 2019 06:54PM
"I believe you do once the bidding is over."

Not in my recent experience. I won three auctions (same seller) for X-Box One games. AFTER I won, he doesn't have the games and, wants to cancel all three auctions. I notified eBay and specifically said I do NOT agree to the cancellation of these three auctions. I also specifically asked if eBay allowed sellers to list items they do NOT actually have. I've received MULTIPLE requests from both the seller AND eBay asking to agree to cancel. Each and every time, I said NO I do NOT agree to a cancellation and, expect the auction to be honored. As far as I can see, eBay has sided with the seller and, I'm SOL (although the charges HAVE been reversed). As far as I'm concerned, this is simply a SCAM that eBay is facilitating.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 17, 2019 11:17PM
eBay cleared me in a claim he filed but didn't remove the negative.

That's some passive-aggressive BeeEss right there.

How can they pronounce you cleared and still not remove the negative?

I assume there was a tracking number showing a package was shipped to the agreed upon address.

I won three auctions (same seller) for X-Box One games. AFTER I won, he doesn't have the games and, wants to cancel all three auctions.

Geeze. How can eBay let that stand. They have a listing, you have an email saying 'Don't Have, sorry'. And somehow it's ebays' position that you should cancel the sale?

What's the sellers game? Did he sell the items outside of ebay and doesn't want or can't cancel the auction without some blowback?

Not knowing any better, I'd say 'yes'.

To ebay users- is there some other area where that should officially appear?

Simply say 'no' to the Israel request and continue to demand payment. After a period of non payment they will be in violation of ebays rules and you can either relist or make a 'second chance offer' to the 2nd, 3rd or 4th place bidder (or any bidder).

This seems like the easiest way out.

All the above is why I only buy, and don't sell on ebay.

I try to pay attention to who's selling and their bona fides, and fortunately, have never been burned.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: December 18, 2019 08:27AM
I had emailed the buyer back, stating that shipping is United States, and asked if he wanted to cancel the transaction. He replied back, "YES." Case closed! Lesson(s) learned.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 229
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018