advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help with Final Cut Pro- a question
Posted by: celliott
Date: December 17, 2019 09:59AM
I've been using iMovie like many people but bought the Final Cut Pro package when Apple offered it under a good educational deal. I have a couple of title special effects that I like to use in iMovie that I can't find in FCP. Anyone know how to get this effects from iM to FCP?

If I have both apps running I can copy a title with that effect in iMovie and then paste it into FCP and have all editing options for it- so it's compatible and works fine. I'd just like to find a way to move it into the FCP library and have it always available. I'm really new to FCP and will likely not need all of it's firepower, but there is a lot that I can use and I really like it. Just trying to catch on to it. I've done some internet searches and there are a lot of YouTube tutorials (some too old) but I can't find anything that answers this specific question.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Help with Final Cut Pro- a question
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 17, 2019 10:57AM
Without being a current user of either program I would bet there is an effects folder buried somewhere in the Finder that you should be able to find and then copy items over to the comparable folder for FCPX.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 17, 2019 11:23AM
No answer for you about the plugins.

...But I don't think you need to copy-paste. Haven't checked lately, but iMovie used to have a "Send Movie to Final Cut Pro." option for anything on the timeline. You could apply the filter to a clip and then have it accessible almost immediately in FCP.

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 17, 2019 12:12PM
You should also take a look at Motion. Very powerful and well integrated with FCPX.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: December 17, 2019 12:16PM
Article Accelerator
You should also take a look at Motion. Very powerful and well integrated with FCPX.

^^^THIS

I'll admit that I have yet to learn/use Motion (it's on my list for things to do in 2019 2020), but it should have been included in that edu package you mentioned. This would be a great tool for what you are trying to do.
Posted by: celliott
Date: December 17, 2019 01:33PM
I'll admit, I'm still finding my way around the pro apps. Motion was included in the bundle I bought- but I'll also have to admit that I haven't looked at any of the apps other than FCP. I need to research Motion to find out what it even does. facepalm
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 17, 2019 01:43PM
Apple's Motion is basically what AfterEffects is from Adobe. Not really about video editing, although you can do that, but more about motion graphics- animation text and imagery. I used Motion back in the FCP7 days, along with FCP7 and Final Cut Server, but then Apple sunset that tech and we moved to all Adobe apps.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 18, 2019 06:42AM
[www.blackmagicdesign.com]

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 154
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020