advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Yippee-ki-yay, mother Forker?!.....Sears sells 'DieHard' brand.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 24, 2019 08:34AM
.......to 'Advanced Auto Parts' for $200 million....so this will now be 'DieHard 2'.....????

......Advanced Auto Parts has a deal with Walmart..................

......this continues the slow death spiral of Sears......as it begins to sell off its brand names (as it has done in the past)......

DieHard brand will give Advance Auto Parts sales at Walmart a jolt

.....Buying the popular battery brand Die Hard will drive growth for Advance Auto Parts Inc., including sales through its partnership with Walmart Inc., analysts say.

Sears holding company Transform Holdco LLC announced Monday that it had sold DieHard, the popular battery brand, to Advance Auto Parts for $200 million.

Advance Auto Parts AAP, +1.17% and Walmart WMT, -1.05% announced in October 2018 that the two companies had partnered in an automotive store that launched earlier this year. The launch began on the Walmart e-commerce site and was intended to roll out in phases.

Wedbush analysts say sales have accelerated since the launch in the second quarter. Moreover, many customers coming to Advance Auto Parts through the Walmart site are new to the automotive retailer.

“In the second phase of the partnership (goal of completion by 2021), Advance Auto Parts plans to enable additional customer fulfillment options including buying online at Walmart.com and picking up in-store at Advance Auto locations,” Wedbush analysts led by Seth Basham wrote.

“Given that customers often prefer to pick up batteries in stores, prospective customers will be able to utilize Advance Auto Parts’ in-store solutions and parking lot services (e.g., free battery installation, parts diagnostics) to purchase the right products necessary for their respective vehicles with the possibility of driving incremental add-on sales at the store.”

Stifel rates Advance Auto Parts stock outperform with a $180 price target.

Analysts also say the deal will benefit Advance Auto Parts’ do-it-yourself (DIY) business.

“While Advance Auto Parts’ business today focuses more on ‘do-it-for-me’ (DIFM) customers (58% of sales), we view DieHard more of a DIY brand, and an attempt to help drive incremental sales in the higher margin DIY segment,” wrote Wells Fargo analysts led by Zachary Fadem.

However, Wells Fargo said Advance Auto Parts and investors should be prepared for the DieHard brand to lose some of its strength, even at Walmart.

“Advance Auto Parts’ battery sales grew double-digit percentage in Q3 and we believe the DieHard brand could be additive despite likely losing value over the years from historically only being available at Sears,” analysts wrote.

“Today some DieHard products are available on Amazon (Prime eligible) AMZN, +0.36% and Walmart (via third parties), but we believe these products could cease to be available on Amazon going forward. With Walmart already offering DieHard products, it is unclear how much incremental sales Advance Auto Parts will generate from DieHard with its new Walmart partnership.”

Wells Fargo rates Advance Auto Parts stock equal weight.

Advance Auto Parts stock has rallied 7.4% over the past year while the S&P 500 index SPX, +0.09% is up 37.1% for the period.

Sears......continues to die.......a slow death.......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2019 08:36AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Yippee-ki-yay, mother Forker?!.....Sears sells 'DieHard' brand.....
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 24, 2019 08:44AM

'tis the season
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 24, 2019 10:40AM
Presumably these are still JCI (Johnson Controls, now Clarios made?

I've always wondered how much cost is wrapped up in the marketing of car batteries. Betting it's not a little. They're literally selling a plastic box of lead and electrolyte ... to all of us.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 24, 2019 11:41AM
deckeda
I've always wondered how much cost is wrapped up in the marketing of car batteries. Betting it's not a little. They're literally selling a plastic box of lead and electrolyte ... to all of us.

DieHard batteries (like Craftsman tools) used to sell themselves.

How many car battery ads are you seeing?

It is what it is.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: December 24, 2019 02:21PM
Die Hard............. Solid as Sears
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 24, 2019 02:29PM
I've never owned a 'Christmas sweater' and normally would never hope to.

But I'd love to have a an actual sweater that's designed with the Ho Ho Ho line and not just a 'poster' on the front.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 24, 2019 08:50PM
N-OS X-tasy!
deckeda

DieHard batteries (like Craftsman tools) used to sell themselves.

How many car battery ads are you seeing?

Every major battery retailer has their own house brand or something else not made by the retailer. Point being, they are all made by either the same company or one or maybe two others. All of that branding does cost money, and if it didn’t exist people would price shop better. They are a commodity item. Even the gel batteries.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 151
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018