Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Christmas toys from the 60s-70s
Posted by: archipirata
Date: December 24, 2019 08:54AM
Christmas nostalgia.
I remember unwrapping every one of these from about 1968-1975.
I put a lot of miles on that Stingray and killed a lot of brain cells with the "non-toxic" fumes from making the Creepy Crawlers.
Ah, the good old days. How many of these did you have?

Athens, OH
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Christmas toys from the 60s-70s
Posted by: neophyte
Date: December 24, 2019 09:25AM
My nostalgia runs about 10-12 years earlier. Cooties and Lincoln Logs.
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 24, 2019 09:35AM
Hot pink Stingray with a three spreed shifter.
All in on the creepy crawlers AND Creepul People. ;)
Also had Lincoln Logs

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 24, 2019 09:40AM
Hot Wheels, Hot Wheels, HOT WHEELS!!!!

I think I bought every type there was back in the day. I was into it from the start, and had all the rare cars in that giant storage wheel. My dang 'ol nephew raided the attic where I had them stashed when I got too old to play with them, and they were lost forever.

Lincoln Logs, Cootie, Banana Bikes, Rockem Sockem Robots, Spirograph, and many others from the 60's were in my wheelhouse.

I remember asking for a 60's era chemistry set. I wonder why Santa never brought me one? smiley-laughing001

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: December 24, 2019 10:00AM
Oooo, also had a lot of Hot Wheels and one of the orange plastic sets, not sure which one.
When we downsized a few years ago, the estate sale guy got $400 for my Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars collection. My daughter said sell it, so I did.
LOVED my Spirograph.

Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: December 24, 2019 10:43AM
How many do I still have?

The Hot Wheels and the Spirograph. Tonka truck is in some room at mom and dad's, having been played with by the nephews.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 24, 2019 10:53AM

What could possibly go wrong? I managed to stick one of these into my brother's back. After I yanked it out, my first statement was "Don't tell mom or dad!"

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: December 24, 2019 11:07AM
I no longer have any of the ones pictured.
The only childhood toy I still have is my first one (at least the first I remember).

His name is Billy Bunny Scoots.

Athens, OH
Posted by: Golfer
Date: December 24, 2019 11:33AM
Had all of those. Still have the dump truck and a working Mattel Football, also a Winnebago camper and Tonka car hauler.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 24, 2019 11:36AM
Rick-o
Hot Wheels, Hot Wheels, HOT WHEELS!!!!

I think I bought every type there was back in the day. I was into it from the start, and had all the rare cars in that giant storage wheel. My dang 'ol nephew raided the attic where I had them stashed when I got too old to play with them, and they were lost forever.

I'll do you one better: My little brother (~1 YO at the time) raided my collection and bent the wire axles on all my Hot Wheels. sad smiley

It is what it is.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 24, 2019 11:43AM
That sears Christmas catalog, man.... I SO wanted that parking garage with an elevator for my toy cars.

Got hiking boots instead, but those led to epic memories in the mountains. So they were much better.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: December 24, 2019 11:44AM
archipirata
I no longer have any of the ones pictured.
The only childhood toy I still have is my first one (at least the first I remember).
His name is Billy Bunny Scoots.[/img]

How old? My first toy was Pengy and he is one month older than I am at 68 years and 3 months. My mother knitted him while pregnant with me.

From the early 1950s onwards my father bought Tri-ang model railway for himself and me, I still have all the rolling stock and locos but not all of the track which was vast.

Paul

Date: December 24, 2019 12:09PM
I think I was given Billy as a first birthday present so 1966.

Athens, OH
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: December 24, 2019 12:25PM
Had 7 of the ones in the OP.

Also had GI Joe's mobile command center which had a radar dish on top that would spin around.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 24, 2019 12:33PM
Yahtzee!

My brother was surprised how much our 32 sections of Hot Wheels track was worth when cleaning out the parents house.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 24, 2019 12:52PM
Wore the buttons off that handheld football game.

The GI Joe figured centrally in my childhood, but not as the complete doll. We disassembled them intentionally and played with the various parts. The parts had distinct personalities. It was like a macabre version of Pokemon. I should probably seek counseling.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: December 24, 2019 01:06PM
This was the greatest toy ever. Circa 1976. I can only wish I still had one:

Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: December 24, 2019 01:15PM
Growing up in the 50s through to the 60s my father did not allow any toys that were weapons or were military based. As someone who went through WWII he believed that it was not a game. Aunts, uncles and family friends thought differently and would often send me a Christmas present of an army based Dinky Toy however when opened my father would remove it carefully explaining his reasons and soon after he would replace it with another Dinky Toy that was not military, usually of higher value. I don't remember ever being upset or annoyed it was just one of those things you were used to. Fast forward to about 15 years ago and I'm helping to clear out the old family home and what do I find? A big box containing all the removed toys that were given to myself and my brothers in mint boxed condition. Many were very collectible and sold for a quite substantial sum.

Thanks Dad!!

Paul

Posted by: SteveO
Date: December 24, 2019 02:12PM
YEP had all those except for the Sit n Spin and GI Joe...but my best friend had those two items. Let us not forget the Six Million Dollar Man "action figure" and all the others of that age...Pulsar (I still recall spying this in my mom's shopping bag in the back of our station wagon [pre-Christmas], man was it cool), the Intruders, etc. And yeah, Evel Knievel FTW!

Had a lot of Star Wars stuff too. And army men. Lots and lots of those little plastic WWII and Vietnam era soldiers, jeeps, cannon. Didn't have a tank, except for a small cheapie one from a gumball machine. Always wanted a tank.

It is interesting what we as a culture give our kids to "play" with. My other buddy and I would have big battles and mix toy genres...the army men fighting against the Death Star, Godzilla, etc.

Lots of fun memories.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 24, 2019 03:36PM
Posted by: 3d
Date: December 24, 2019 03:55PM
archipirata
I remember unwrapping every one of these from about 1968-1975.

I'm curious. Why such a specific year range?
What happened pre-1968 and post-1975?
Date: December 24, 2019 05:30PM
Well, I don’t remember a lot before ‘68 when I was 2 years old and after ‘75 I didn’t get many toys for Christmas. I mostly wanted non-toy thing, microscopes, cheap camera, books, early computers (timex Sinclair), 10 speed bike, etc.

Athens, OH
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: December 24, 2019 07:32PM
I had this exact GI Joe set, wish I still had it. I suspect one of my siblings children got it.

Out of that group I had Lincoln Logs, that exact Cowboy and Indian set(the Indians headdress would never stay together), a similar Hot Wheels set(still have the cars and trucks) and the Tonka Dump Truck. I would say my various electric trains were my most played with toys, which I still have, or my Revell slot track.

I still have the track in the box, the problem with it is it takes a table 4'x12'.

Disclaimer: Not my photos.

Grateful11
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 24, 2019 07:48PM
I had the same GI Joe Space Capsule set, also the Tonka Truck Hauler, and Jarts

and stingray bike (but put a steering wheel on mine and painted it Easy Rider flag motif)
and cooties, and etc, etc..

Also a Lionel Train

Great times and memories

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 24, 2019 07:49PM
3 year old Rick-o with his 1961 Christmas haul. I see Mr. Bim, my 'ol monkey pal sitting there with me!

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: December 25, 2019 01:14AM
still have that!
Will Collier
This was the greatest toy ever. Circa 1976. I can only wish I still had one:

Bryan
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: December 25, 2019 10:40AM
AC Gilbert; chemistry set, erector set, and American Flyer Trains. Lots of trains...

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: neophyte
Date: December 25, 2019 12:05PM
DeusxMac

I had all 3. Played with them often.

All long gone now.

I should have become an engineer as an adult.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 25, 2019 12:58PM
neophyte
DeusxMac

I had all 3. Played with them often.

All long gone now.

I should have become an engineer as an adult.

I or the family had all three as well, plus a few of the others shown so far. The box of plastic bricks was still around the house when my parents sold it to my stepbrother and his wife nearly 20 years ago. The tinker toys kept getting added to later batches, don't know if they stayed.

I have the Erector set acquired in the '60's, plus the one my father got in the '40's. Both sets have the AC powered motor, something they removed from the sets in the '70's or '80's.
Date: December 25, 2019 04:54PM
MrNoBody
AC Gilbert; chemistry set, erector set, and American Flyer Trains. Lots of trains...

That top pic looks like my American Flyer train!
I still had it in the box, but my box was only red and black print.
It was also sold in our downsizing sale about three years ago. Mine would have been circa mid 60's.
My husband's larger Lionel "Pennsylvania" train was also sold then. We had that huge heavy controller and some track and several cars and the locomotive.

Posted by: davester
Date: December 25, 2019 09:28PM
Somebody above mentioned chemistry sets. Since I was living in England at the beginning of the 1960s and not in the lawyered-up US of A, we had really cool chemistry sets, including flammables, fairly strong acids and bases, and other dangerous chemicals, not to mention real glassware, alcohol burners, etc.. Playing with our chemistry sets was probably our favorite thing as 10- and 11-year-olds. Sure, I had my hair and eyebrows singed off a few times, but that was probably what set me on the path I took to becoming a scientist. Sadly, that all ended when I emigrated to the US. Lawyers had already taken control in the mid-1960s and therefore interesting and dangerous stuff was strictly outlawed. For shame.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 26, 2019 12:04AM
davester
Somebody above mentioned chemistry sets. Since I was living in England at the beginning of the 1960s and not in the lawyered-up US of A, we had really cool chemistry sets, including flammables, fairly strong acids and bases, and other dangerous chemicals, not to mention real glassware, alcohol burners, etc.. Playing with our chemistry sets was probably our favorite thing as 10- and 11-year-olds. Sure, I had my hair and eyebrows singed off a few times, but that was probably what set me on the path I took to becoming a scientist. Sadly, that all ended when I emigrated to the US. Lawyers had already taken control in the mid-1960s and therefore interesting and dangerous stuff was strictly outlawed. For shame.

I don’t know — the chemistry set I had in the mid/late ‘70s included most of the items you listed.

It is what it is.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: December 26, 2019 06:06AM
...we had really cool chemistry sets, including flammables, fairly strong acids and
bases, and other dangerous chemicals, not to mention real glassware, alcohol
burners, etc

I recall my AC Gilbert set in 1960-62(?) had the same. I specifically recall making
black powder, a crude battery, some form of silicone glue, and a stink bomb!

iirc, the US. Lawyers (& insurers) did begin spoiling all the fun around 1965.
D@MN Nanny-State angry villagers smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 27, 2019 08:36PM
My 5 speed Sting Ray was orange, and had the tall back rest. Racked my nuts on that shifter several times when I locked up the front brakes and did end-overs.

Had wooden Lincoln Logs, Tinkertoys, and I built a car garage with car lift with my Erector Set, which had an electric geared winch motor I created my Hot Wheels car lift with. Had that monster-themed Easy Bake oven too.

I had a broadsword I played with until my dad took it away as it was a family heirloom short sword-powder measure used in the Civil War to measure loose powder loads in mortars. It has hash marks on the blade. You slide it into the squatty barrel of the mortar, and measure powder depth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 321
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018