advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
It's charitable giving time!!!
Posted by: davester
Date: December 28, 2019 08:48PM
Only a couple of days left if you want to be able to write off any charitable giving on your taxes for the year. My policy is to give enough money away at the end of the year that it's a bit painful but won't result in me not being able to pay the bills. For me, this means sending considerably more to charities than what I spend on christmas gifts. It's definitely painful to send each donation out but when I'm done it feels really good! I encourage you all to do the same, or whatever you can afford.

There are so many charitable organizations that it's difficult to say where the best places to send money are. I rely on Charity Navigator quite a bit. Also, this Vox article provides pretty good info for environmental charities: [www.vox.com]. There are other sources of info regarding the quality of charities...do seek them out and use them. Unfortunately, there are a lot of scammers out there masquerading as charities.

I do encourage people to avoid or at least carefully screen the people who phone you and claim to be from police organizations or churches. With few exceptions those groups give only a pittance to the actual causes and primarily use the money for maintaining or growing their own organizations.

This year's donations went to:

Doctors Without Borders
International Rescue Committee
American Civil Liberties Union
The Arc (disabled person enabling group)
Coalition for Rainforest Nations
Climate Emergency Fund

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2019 09:13PM by davester.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: It's charitable giving time!!!
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 28, 2019 09:37PM
I donate to:
my university toward scholarships.
United Way of Desert
Local Wildlife Preserve
San Diego Wild Animal Park

Blood bank, but that doesn’t give me a tax break.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 28, 2019 10:26PM
I will also put in a plug for your local school. The scholarships you contribute toward will help needy, meritorious students attend schools beyond the secondary school.
Date: December 28, 2019 10:42PM
I neglected to say...kudos to anyone who donates anything at all to causes or people in need. My list was intended merely as an example. Far be it for me to suggest what organizations you should give to. Give whatever you can, to whoever or whatever moves you.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2019 10:44PM by davester.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 29, 2019 01:00AM
this year:
greenpeace
camfed
americares
rubicon
himalayan cataract project
Immigrant Legal Resource Center
Charity Navigator

I had a better year this year, as the kids say, pay it forward.
I hadn't in a number of years.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 29, 2019 05:11AM
I've become much more aware of million + dollar salaries for the leaders of charitable organizations. I'm rarely willing to contribute to an organization that pays that much. There are some exceptions--St. Jude's for example--but they are rare. It also means that most of our charitable contributions are for smaller organizations.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 29, 2019 07:40AM
Michael
I've become much more aware of million + dollar salaries for the leaders of charitable organizations. I'm rarely willing to contribute to an organization that pays that much. There are some exceptions--St. Jude's for example--but they are rare. It also means that most of our charitable contributions are for smaller organizations.

very bothersome. Charity Nav helps to find ones that are saner.
Quite a few 4 star are $300k and under. But it does bug me, I don't care how logical the explanation.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: December 29, 2019 07:57AM
We donate to our university - and the rest goes to strictly local charities in our community. Major national charities have a lot of overhead - so we try to stay local.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 29, 2019 08:20AM
Michael
There are some exceptions--St. Jude's for example...

Legal restrictions prevent me from describing an example of their avarice. smiley-talk034

I wouldn’t give them a penny!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2019 08:22AM by DeusxMac.
Date: December 29, 2019 08:36AM
Michael

Thats what Charity Navigator is for. One of their main criteria is percentage of donations that go towards administrative costs (which include salaries). There are plenty of large organizations where salaries are reasonable. Staying with smaller organizations does not assure you of low salaries or that your money goes to the cause. Many small police and church organizations waste much of your money on admin costs and some are downright scams.

Posted by: Harooneneutics
Date: December 29, 2019 09:29AM
The tax benefits never added up to much when I itemized (and not at all anymore with the standard deduction), but here's my list of recurring modest monthly donations:

Undergraduate alma mater
Current employer (a college, for scholarship support)
Local NPR station
Feeding America

And some random other one-time donations throughout the year that I don't keep track of.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 29, 2019 11:01AM
davester
I do encourage people to avoid or at least carefully screen the people who phone you and claim to be from police organizations or churches. With few exceptions those groups give only a pittance to the actual causes and primarily use the money for maintaining or growing their own organizations.

Many of these "charities" that you get phone calls from aren't even registered as such. The current scheme is to register as a PAC, there are even lower reporting and oversight requirements for those. Most of the money goes to the operators, some smalll amount may be spent on lobbying or advertising. None at all goes to the charitable purpose they imply they are for.

So far I have been solicited by several police, emergency services. or cancer "support" organizations that have turned out to be one of these PAC's. Because they are not registered as charities, many of the vetting sites don't track them.

Basically at this point, if any organization calls me for a donation it is an immediate No.
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 29, 2019 11:48AM
JoeH
davester

Many of these "charities" that you get phone calls from aren't even registered as such. The current scheme is to register as a PAC, there are even lower reporting and oversight requirements for those. Most of the money goes to the operators, some smalll amount may be spent on lobbying or advertising. None at all goes to the charitable purpose they imply they are for.

So far I have been solicited by several police, emergency services. or cancer "support" organizations that have turned out to be one of these PAC's. Because they are not registered as charities, many of the vetting sites don't track them.

Basically at this point, if any organization calls me for a donation it is an immediate No.
This is what I do. If you are calling me and I didn’t specifically give you my number to call me, it’s a no. (University students are tasked to call from university asking for donations)
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 29, 2019 12:03PM
I stay mostly local or with organizations I have direct relationships with. Local PBS/NPR, church, local Audubon chapter, a chorale I sing with, direct contributions to some missionary friends. Nobody CEO there is making bank off the largess. Local PBS executive is probably pushing $200K, that's but an expensive operation where the guy in charge has to work hard to keep big money coming in.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 29, 2019 01:15PM
I don't donate to organizations anymore, save for the local food bank, who not only have a long-life pantry but also work with local families for real-time buying of grocery goods.

Beyond that, we try to donate directly through contacts; i.e., we knew a family was down on their luck for Christmas; they were taken care of for gifts for their kids (clothes & toys) via our friend but we were told they didn't have money for Christmas decorations. We raided our own stock and donated a pre-lit tree (that they can use again & again), ornaments, decorations, lights, a few stockings, and wrapping paper.

Everyone needs help from time to time, and sometimes what they need help with isn't obvious.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 164
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018