advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Fry’s closes its original Atlanta store
Posted by: stephen
Date: December 29, 2019 07:04PM
And the rumor mill says the entire chain is endangered.

[www.tonetoatl.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Fry’s closes its original Atlanta store
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 29, 2019 07:05PM
....so burnt.....??

....too bad....they had good sales.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 29, 2019 07:39PM
I hope they stay in business. Fry's last update of deals emails and sales flyers seems like a big flop. If they fail it would be a short term boost for BestBuy.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 29, 2019 07:51PM
If they fail in the Bay Area I do hope that Microcenter might return, when I visit their store in NY it reminds me a lot of they of selection of products that Fry's had in the past.
Date: December 29, 2019 07:58PM
......there was an article about how they have stopped keeping these in 'stock'/restocking......so this may have been inevitable.....

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 29, 2019 08:02PM
I've been to Fry's many times but have only shopped there a few, and those have been my least favorite shopping experiences, ever.

Under much better management, that would be a different story.

As is, I wouldn't miss them if they left.

There used to be a MicroCenter a bit of a drive from me, and given some of the sales I've seen posted here, I wouldn't mind seeing them come back.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 29, 2019 09:34PM
I have always called them the Walmart of electronics.

Their inventory is/was pretty awesome. BB can never replace them or even come close.

If u needed it right now they were the best place to have it.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 29, 2019 09:59PM
jdc

Their inventory is/was pretty awesome. BB can never replace them or even come close.

They were a local internet shopping experience. I went to the one in Manhattan Beach, CA recently and it felt sparse. No Christmas line at all.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 29, 2019 10:23PM
vision63
jdc

They were a local internet shopping experience. I went to the one in Manhattan Beach, CA recently and it felt sparse. No Christmas line at all.

Do they still inspect your receipt and bags when you leave their store?
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 29, 2019 10:25PM
freeradical
vision63
jdc

Do they still inspect your receipt and bags when you leave their store?

There was a person there doing just that. There were more clerks there than they needed.
Posted by: bfd
Date: December 29, 2019 10:50PM
Just wave your receipt as you walk past. They're not really allowed to stop you from leaving unless you volunteer by stopping and opening your bag … easy enough to just keep walking while waving your receipt. Then if they do stop you - and you haven't done anything wrong - they're going to be in trouble.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: December 29, 2019 11:01PM
Too bad. I haven't been to that particular store in a very long time, but it's on the other side of the metro from where I live (and the main Atlanta area Microcenter is literally walking distance for me).

Hope the other store can hang on, they do have a much bigger selection than MC, particularly for electronic parts.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 30, 2019 12:12AM
I have 1 about 2 minutes away, and another 15 -- havent been in either in years.

I always just walked out, never showed the receipt.

pre internet days (well, Im assuming they still do) it was the only place to find specific computer items. They had entire aisles of keyboards and mice. dozens of mouse pads. tons of ethernet cables. Power supplies. Dozens of bare drives. Extensive RAM offerings. Mac Software. 40 PC cases, 30 Mboards. A thousand batteries. it was great.

Prices were great too. but the store closest to me looked like a warehouse inside. Black shelving that needed painting. Poor displays. Giant empty sections. workers knew next to nothing and were impossible to find.

maybe I should stop in and take some photos...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 30, 2019 02:17AM
jdc
I have 1 about 2 minutes away, and another 15 -- havent been in either in years.

I always just walked out, never showed the receipt.

pre internet days (well, Im assuming they still do) it was the only place to find specific computer items. They had entire aisles of keyboards and mice. dozens of mouse pads. tons of ethernet cables. Power supplies. Dozens of bare drives. Extensive RAM offerings. Mac Software. 40 PC cases, 30 Mboards. A thousand batteries. it was great.

Prices were great too. but the store closest to me looked like a warehouse inside. Black shelving that needed painting. Poor displays. Giant empty sections. workers knew next to nothing and were impossible to find.

maybe I should stop in and take some photos...

and soon we'll be telling the youngsters about those good ol days...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 30, 2019 02:49AM
Just wave your receipt as you walk past.

Why.

I just walked out.

Nobody ever said anything.

Same with Best Buy and CompUSA, I think it was.

I'm not really sure that that guy's job is at Best Buy.

The best thing about shopping at CUSA was the In-n-Out across the parking lot.

I'd park in the middle, hit CUSA then In-n-Out.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Cary
Date: December 30, 2019 05:16AM
I hadn't been to Fry's in many years, was in L. A. for Thanksgiving, and had a little time to kill, so stopped at Fry's in Woodland Hills.

The parking lot was empty. The shelves were empty.. There were 2 of 3 customers. It was like a ghost town.

Really sad.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 30, 2019 07:49AM
I moved to the ATL as Circuit City was about to shut down and Incredible Universe already had. Fry’s was a throwback even then, weirdly large for what was inside. Being over in Cherokee County, trekking to either location wiped out a chunk of the day but I did make it to Milton a few times for something only they had.

MicroCenter will be the bigger loss if-and-when.
Date: December 30, 2019 07:58AM
.....there was a recent article about Fry's about how the shelves are empty, because they don't restock items......the writing is on the wall....empty shelves....empty stores, etc.....

Posted by: rgG
Date: December 30, 2019 08:04AM
We lived very close to the other Frys, the Milton one.
I didn’t like shopping there, but I did a fair bit, for stuff I needed right then.
That area where the Duluth store is, has been going downhill for some time, so I suspect that’s what caused the closing.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: December 30, 2019 08:22AM
The one in Arlington, Texas, is a ghost town. Lots of bare shelves; hardly any customers.
Posted by: Finney
Date: December 30, 2019 09:14AM
The ones here in Sunnyvale and Campbell are both ghost towns as well. Their inventory is a small fraction of what it used to be, and each time I visit there seems to be even less.

I can't imagine they'll last another few months (although I remember saying that a few months ago as well). It's a shame, I always loved going to Fry's, as they seemed to carry so much that no other brick and mortar would.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: December 30, 2019 10:17AM
With the frequent comparison to Microcenter, I thought it important to advise that Microcenter has downsized their St. David's store by 1/3. They've installed taller racks to accommodate more product - so not sure if they've reduced inventory.
Date: December 30, 2019 10:19AM
....so Microcenter is becoming......more micro.....???

Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: December 30, 2019 10:38AM
In the summer of 1996 I had just returned to the US after living in France and Germany for six years and was staying with a friend in Mountainview, California. Copies of MacWorld were four times the cover price in both countries, but I would grudgingly pay out the francs or marks each month to read the magazine cover to cover.

The morning after I landed in Silicon Valley the headline in the "San Jose Mercury News" was that a large software company had announced massive layoffs of programmers. My memory is that hundreds of folks were being laid off.

After breakfast, I went to the local Fry's to get a fairly-priced copy of MacWorld. While browsing through the other Mac-oriented magazines, I was head-hunted by a stranger who saw I was interested in the Macintosh. He asked if I would like to apply for a job at the same company that had been in the featured story.

I mentioned the layoffs to him. His response was something like, "Oh, that's just that one division. This other part of the company is hiring."

He even shrugged off my background of being a recent juggling teacher at some circus schools in Europe with no formal background in programming or technology.

It was only later, when the woman I was staying with asked if I wanted to apply for a job at the same software company where she was working, that I realized companies were offering bonuses to folks who could bring in new candidates.

Ended up going to graduate school in Vancouver, BC, but still fondly remember the time that Fry's had a strong enough tech image that merely shopping in one could seemingly result in strangers making it past the first cull for a potential job.

Todd's other-path keyboard
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: December 30, 2019 12:09PM
Forrest
With the frequent comparison to Microcenter, I thought it important to advise that Microcenter has downsized their St. David's store by 1/3. They've installed taller racks to accommodate more product - so not sure if they've reduced inventory.

Going strong here at the Marietta GA location. Shelves are stocked, parking lot is full and it's usually crowded, particularly on the weekends. Great service people there, too.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: December 30, 2019 12:33PM
I work 1-2 days/week around the corner from the Duluth Fry's location that just closed. No Going out of Business sale or other notice that they were closing. I wonder how much notice the employees got.

This does not surprise me, however. Every time I went there, usually just to get one item or browse during lunch, the store was empty - only a few customers and even fewer employees. The service was always marginal. The Gwinnett Place Mall area is always very congested, except for the actual mall, which Fry's is next to. Every other big-box store already has a presence nearby, so I'm not sure what is going to happen to that behemoth of a location.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 30, 2019 01:03PM
I am a little surprised Fry's opened the Roseville location. I wouldn't have thought there was support in the area for it. Maybe it was popular with all the people further up the I-80 corridor? It's not that much closer to Yuba City than the Sacramento store, same thing for Folsom.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 30, 2019 03:16PM
NewtonMP2100
....so Microcenter is becoming......more micro.....???

.....self fulfilling moniker....evidently.....???
==
Posted by: timg
Date: December 30, 2019 06:12PM
They just closed their Palo Alto store as well, but they claimed it was because they lost their lease.

The last time I went into the Sunnyvale store, it was like a ghost town with a whole lot of empty shelves.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 31, 2019 02:57AM
timg
They just closed their Palo Alto store as well, but they claimed it was because they lost their lease.

The last time I went into the Sunnyvale store, it was like a ghost town with a whole lot of empty shelves.

There is a lot of history and politics related to the land the Fry's Palo Alto store is on, so it's not a total surprise that the PA store is closing. Here's a good article and the comments from local residents cover a bit of the history of that site.

[www.paloaltoonline.com]

My experience at the Sunnyvale store a few months ago was similar.

Many years ago, after 9/11, I used to use visits to Fry's as a rough way to measure the economy recovery based on how far away from the entrance I needed to park when I went to the store.

I also used visits to Frys as a way to measure how well Apple was doing after Steve Jobs returned. The Fry's Palo Alto store didn't have a "stock room", they used to have stacked boxes of their inventory along the walls. I used to count how many boxes of iMacs they had in stock each visit to get some idea of how well they were selling.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 338
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018