advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
North American Box Office Sales Come In About 4% Lower Than Last Year
Posted by: Harooneneutics
Date: January 01, 2020 08:09PM
I heard this NPR story about the modest decline in box office sales in 2019, coincidentally, on the way home after seeing a movie in a theater for the first time in about a year. My daughter and I had some unexpected free time while waiting to pick up some glasses, so we caught a matinee showing of "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" on Monday.

The movie was enjoyable, and it was only $13 for two tickets — but I still think I'd still rather skip all of the ads, previews, and a few chatty audience members. And, yeah, we paid more for snacks than we did for tickets.

How about you? Does the movie theater experience still appeal to you or would you rather watch at home?

It's your world. I'm just paying rent.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: North American Box Office Sales Come In About 4% Lower Than Last Year
Posted by: Forrest
Date: January 01, 2020 08:15PM
I don't mind spending $6 a ticket for movies. However I don't think most movies are worth more - many people have a large screen TV at home.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 01, 2020 08:33PM
Yes, I like the theatre. But, I don't get there very often. If I have the opportunity to get out from my two teenagers and wife, then I will more often than not choose to hear live music. In fact, the only time I went to see a film in a theatre the last year was also when I was trying to kill time (saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood).
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 01, 2020 08:35PM
It's not fun going to the movies anymore.

Prices are no longer in a range where I might casually drop in. Tix for two were $34 last time I went and over $40 for a not-really-IMAX show. Matinees might knock $2 bucks off each.

Reserved seating keeps me from sitting in my favored seats unless I plan a couple of days ahead and order online, which incurs surcharges.

And movies are so formulaic that I leave feeling like it'd have been better to wait for Netflix.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 01, 2020 09:38PM
....tickets are way to expensive.......$6-$8 maybe but $12-$16 is too much.....they got rid of discounted matinee prices.......you can buy the dvd for that price and watch the movie more than one time.....

....and though watching in theater is nicer......people have gotten ruder......so will wait for the movie to come out on dvd......thankfully, nowadays from theater to dvd is not that long of a wait......and most movies are not 'must see'.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 01, 2020 09:47PM
I watched 4% less movies last year, thats why!

Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 01, 2020 10:04PM
Pretty much the only movies I watch will be at an IMAX, like StarWars last week. Otherwise, I'd rather wait. I did see Black Panther at a discount movie, but that more a case of killing time waiting for my wife to get out of work.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 02, 2020 12:48AM
Wife and daughters love the movies... go often. They never seem to have an issue picking seats.

Yeah, its not exactly cheap anymore. $50 easy for 3 of them with snacks... and they love movie popcorn so always get a large pop + soda.

Often can turn into $100 if they hit dinner before or after.

But they do the rewards, and often get free tickets or discoutned snacks.

Really considered the Regal Movie $21/mo deal -- its the only theater they like or even go to.

I doubt if I could get them to stop... inthe last few months -- downton abbey jojo rabitt, zombileand, jumanji, little women, bombshell, kinves out, star wars, ford v ferarri, mr rodgers, charleis angels, marriage story, dark waters.... they still want to see Rchard Jewel and Uncut Gems.

And Im sure I missed some.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: January 02, 2020 04:11AM
Family wanted to see the latest blockbusters, so this week we've seen Star Wars, Frozen 2, Jumanji 2, Spies In Disguise and are venturing out to Cats today, all for matinee $5.00 per ticket price. Evening tickets are $8 with student discount of $7 and senior citizen discount of $6.75.
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 02, 2020 10:40AM
When I owned a "stick & brick", my local public library was a WONDERFUL resource! Videos, music, books, internet and SO much more. Best bang for my tax dollars! boink smiley
Posted by: TLB
Date: January 02, 2020 12:24PM
IMHO there are very few movies that "need" the theater screen experience, so I prefer to stay at home and watch it later, in my jammies if I feel like it.
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 02, 2020 03:38PM
Heh. My daughter who lives in a state where it's legal gave the old gal and I some "edibles" for Xmas.

What are we gonna do with these? I thought, but then came up with a plan.

We're thinking we'll sample some and buy two front-row recliner seat tickets for the Cats movie this weekend.

smoking smiley

woo!
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 02, 2020 11:47PM
We go rarely and always have. It’s usually for a big screen friendly space opera, a Pixar masterpiece, or something we want to see before internet spoilers become unavoidable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 162
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018