advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Amazon delivery truck damage
Posted by: Mr645
Date: January 02, 2020 06:28AM
So several weeks ago an Amazon delivery truck, Mercedes Sprinter van, used my lawn to make a U turn. The truck got stuck, tore up the grass, had to be towed out.

Anyway, I called the Amazon delivery franchisee, sent photos, spoke to the owner on the phone who said he would pay for the damage and as soon as I hung up with him, called the driver, still dealing with the tow truck and told her he was taking the cost for the damage and tow truck out of her pay.

Anyway, now it's been a couple of weeks since I sent the bill for $700 for dirt, sod and labor to clean up damage.

So now the owner of the delivery company operating under the Amazon franchise refuses to pay the invoice and tells me to go after the driver.

This could get fun
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Amazon delivery truck damage
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 02, 2020 06:30AM
can you file a small court claim?
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 02, 2020 07:19AM
I would try to get in touch with Amazon corporate and make them handle it. I know this might be hard.
Twitter shaming is your best bet, if being nice fails.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 02, 2020 07:41AM
Hey Amazon! Get off my lawn!

Date: January 02, 2020 07:47AM
the sad reality is that the driver probably gets about $20/hours or less, and $700 net is about $1000 gross which is more than their weekly wages.

Did they give you the name and contact info for the driver when you called? Did you call the police when this happened? Do have a police report?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 02, 2020 08:46AM
This should absolutely be covered by someone's corporate insurance, and should NOT affect the driver's take-home pay. Make a scene.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 02, 2020 09:03AM
On this incident, I'm guessing that it will boil down to nailing the driver; there's really no such thing as the "corporate" office now whwn it comes to these things. A relative's husband was delivering for Amazon when he was struck by a car as a ped, and he's only supported as far as the immediate medical bills (that he knows, could be different once they all come in). Everything is set up now as an independent contractor with the relationship to the driver and the company.

I'd inquire directly with the driver to see if they can get it taken care of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2020 09:03AM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 02, 2020 09:41AM
Who owns the delivery van? I’m guessing this should be a claim on the van’s insurance. Did you get proof of insurance for the van, or a plate number? Perhaps your homeowner's insurance can help you track down the insurer of the van and/or file a claim with them. When the delivery company gets notified of the claim, hopefully they’d opt to pay it out of pocket.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 02, 2020 10:30AM
Consider having your homeowner's insurance agent get involved. They might be able to find out the delivery companies insurance, and then you can serve them with small claims suit if they aren't interested in that small a case. Don't bother with small claims if you aren't 100% willing to show up for the case.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: January 02, 2020 10:44AM
Inappropriate U-turns must be the hallmark of Amazon drivers. I often see their trucks attempting the maneuver in the worst possible/most dangerous spot you could pick. They need better training.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 02, 2020 11:09AM
Can your homeowner insurance handle that ? The fact that Amazon claims to make the driver pay for it is.... disgusting. The driver's COMPANY pays for it. Welcome to the BS of the "gig economy" where liability rolls downhill and money only trickles downhill...
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 02, 2020 11:25AM
IANAL, but I agree the company who employs the driver should pay. That is exactly what the company's insurance is for. (If the company considers the driver a contractor, then the company is probably breaking labor law. No way that driver has the control over the job the way a true contractor does.) If the company wants its pound of flesh then it should be limited to firing the driver.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 02, 2020 12:07PM
cbelt3
The fact that Amazon claims to make the driver pay for it is.... disgusting.

Just for clarification, Amazon has made no claims one way or the other. The delivery company (despite being branded as Amazon), is an independent company and sub-contractor. So, in this case, it's the owner of that delivery company that wants to make the driver pay for the damages.

Now, if you want to say that Amazon is disgusting for the way they've set up a network of independent delivery companies that Amazon claims are separate from them and that they are not responsible for their actions, despite the fact that 90-100% of their deliveries might come from Amazon, well, that's a whole separate statement that I wouldn't argue.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: January 02, 2020 12:10PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Consider having your homeowner's insurance agent get involved. They might be able to find out the delivery companies insurance, and then you can serve them with small claims suit if they aren't interested in that small a case. Don't bother with small claims if you aren't 100% willing to show up for the case.

Another vote for this. That’s what they do. If it needs to go to some kind of court, let them handle it.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 02, 2020 12:16PM
Do you have pictures of the damage? Maybe post to social media and tag Amazon?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 02, 2020 12:57PM
This should absolutely be covered by someone's corporate insurance, and should NOT affect the driver's take-home pay. Make a scene.

One way or another, AMZ will pay.

Their van, their employee.

I shouldn't affect the employees pay, but that's AMZ responsibility.

Using someone's lawn to execute a turn isn't Kosher (or is that kosher), but neither is the boss calling up to threaten the employee's pay. That sounds like Playhouse 90 ploy to placate Mr645.

And the boss telling him his beef is with the driver? BS, unless the driver is a contract employee. Then AMZ might have some wiggle room. Still, the boss is a piece of work.

I would definitely do some social media shaming mention the A/H's name and Bezobub's in the same breath.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 02, 2020 05:51PM
Call your homeowner's insurance. Even if thy don't come through, they can probably bring things into focus. Even if you win in small claims court, you will probably have to hunt down the loser and squeeze the money out.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 02, 2020 07:27PM
Tell the Contractor you will have your insurance handle this. Your insurance company will have lawyers and a court case will be much more costly to the the contractor. Yours is almost certainly not the first case the insurance co has had to deal with Amazon contractors and will be eager to set a precedent for future contractor damages.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Re: Amazon delivery truck damage: UPDATE
Date: January 03, 2020 07:13AM
To be clear, the Amazon branded delivery services are actually franchises. In my case a company called Aura Logistics in Sunrise Florida.

I called Amazon and they have a Logistics department and within, a department that handles liability claims. After uploading the photos and invoices for repairs on the online form, I am told by an actual Amazon rep that it will take about two weeks to get paid. They apologized and said the delay is due to a backlog from the holidays where the department was closed.

The rep also pulled up Aura Logistics and noticed that the companies main trucking function is movement of large construction equipment. She said that Amazon delivery franchises are supposed to be dedicated Amazon delivery companies, not trucking and delivery companies handling various types of delivery that often is in conflict with Amazon. She will pass this information on to the proper department. I was told that they get applications for franchises from many companies already delivering for FedEx ground and other local carriers and delivery companies. They do not allow for that.

Anyone interested can see a couple of photos here
[www.dropbox.com]
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 03, 2020 10:15AM
THAT is $700 worth of grass damage?
Come on, now...
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 03, 2020 02:23PM
Can you cash the check and fix it yourself? Because that is not $700 worth of damage. And why bring dirt in? The dirt is all there.
Re: Amazon delivery truck damage: UPDATE
Date: January 03, 2020 04:29PM
I see a sign with PROSECUTE in the upper right corner of #2. Why did they trespass on your property in the first place?
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 04, 2020 12:15AM
3d
Come on, now...
If that’s what his gardener charges and he didn’t get a couple of quotes.
And he needed it fixed ASAP, that’s what he pays.

FWIW: I’ve been in a similar situation, having to get something done quickly. No time to comparison shop. Paid way more than I had to and they guy knew I was in a hurry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2020 12:17AM by Carm.
Date: January 04, 2020 06:36AM
3d
Come on, now...

After the vehicle was owed out repairs included some dirt, 1/2 pallet of sod and repairs to 3 sprinkler heads and some associated water lines for the irrigation system
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 04, 2020 01:18PM
I have no problem believing that's $700 in damage, probably more in certain parts of the country. My comment above has to do with the insurance company and Amazon eating the cost - which they assuredly will not do. So, if the driver hired the crew to fix it, and if it is done to the owner's satisfaction, it would probably save the driver's job.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018