advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Insurance: umbrella policy?
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 04, 2020 11:34AM
do you have an umbrella policy? what does it cover and what does it cost you?

what is the best place to start looking into such insurance? I think an insurance agent may try to oversell. Should I consult a lawyer or a financial advisor to see how much coverage I should get?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Insurance: umbrella policy?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 04, 2020 11:49AM
I have an umbrella policy that covers $1 million in above and beyond home owners and auto insurance. It costs me $70 a year. I think its worth it.

I found an agent that was personally recommended to me and he hasn't oversold me. I actually like him. I didn't consult anyone regarding how much coverage I should get (maybe I should?) since I thought the policy seemed like a good deal.

but insurance rates can vary significantly across the country and across providers. I have Erie insurance.

Posted by: Forrest
Date: January 04, 2020 11:55AM
Early Retirement forum is a good source of info on umbrella insurance.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 04, 2020 12:05PM
Umbrella coverage tends to be much cheaper than increasing standard policy limits. I lowered my home and auto liability limits and added more umbrella coverage to offset the reduction. Wound up saving several hundred dollars per year. I got my umbrella coverage thru the same carrier as my home and auto to eliminate any gaps in coverage and potential claims issues.
Date: January 04, 2020 12:14PM
interesting. Thanks for your comments.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 04, 2020 12:14PM
bogleheads.org is a good place to get financial advice as well

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 04, 2020 12:15PM
The real test though is - How, when (and will) they actually pay out in response to a valid claim.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 04, 2020 12:19PM
mattkime
I have an umbrella policy that covers $1 million in above and beyond home owners and auto insurance. It costs me $70 a year. I think its worth it.

Wow, for $70 a year, that's definitely worth it. Of course price will vary greatly depending on an individual's particular risks.

As a useless point of comparison, a $2 million policy is $502 a year for me ($287 for $1m), but back when my wife was only covering her house and 1 car, a $1m policy was $140ish/year for her. So you can see there's a great variation.

macphanatic
I lowered my home and auto liability limits and added more umbrella coverage to offset the reduction.

Interesting, the two carriers I've spoken to (State Farm and USAA) both require auto liability to be about 250/500, which might require raising your limits before getting the umbrella policy.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 04, 2020 12:22PM
.....under your umbrella.......ella......eh.....eh......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rz
Date: January 04, 2020 12:48PM
Had one on a rental condo we used to own. Peace of mind in case a tenant tried to sue us.
Date: January 04, 2020 12:54PM
rz
Had one on a rental condo we used to own. Peace of mind in case a tenant tried to sue us.

I don't have a rental, but yeah, I want piece of mind for similar situations.
Posted by: Harooneneutics
Date: January 04, 2020 01:02PM
I have a $1 million umbrella policy that is supposed to cover personal liability beyond auto and homeowner's insurance. The company (Erie) describes it as "Personal Catastrophe Liability Insurance," so basically it's for use in a major crap-hitting-the-fan situation.

It's about $150/year. My agent suggested it to me during an annual review of my policies a couple of years ago. I'm a terrible comparison shopper so there might be better deals out there. Erie has been fine to deal with on a couple of auto claims.

The policy that I have doesn't cover any professional liability.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 04, 2020 01:43PM
Gareth
mattkime

Wow, for $70 a year, that's definitely worth it. Of course price will vary greatly depending on an individual's particular risks.

As a useless point of comparison, a $2 million policy is $502 a year for me ($287 for $1m), but back when my wife was only covering her house and 1 car, a $1m policy was $140ish/year for her. So you can see there's a great variation.

macphanatic
I lowered my home and auto liability limits and added more umbrella coverage to offset the reduction.

Interesting, the two carriers I've spoken to (State Farm and USAA) both require auto liability to be about 250/500, which might require raising your limits before getting the umbrella policy.

Note that I didn't say what I lowered them to. Anyone who buys low limits is not very bright in my opinion. State minimums would bankrupt most Americans with one serious incident. Most people don't realize that they are on the hook for what insurance doesn't cover. In most states, the minimums won't cover replacement of many on the newer vehicles on the road. And they won't cover most medical needs.
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 04, 2020 01:47PM
We have a 2 million policy that costs $320 a year. A 1 million policy was something like $270 a year so we went up for a pretty small increase. It covers us for the normal liability issues that we all know of but also for liability associated with being on a board or doing volunteer work. It also covers us when we're out of the country for liability issues.
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 04, 2020 02:23PM
From what I recall, rates will depend a lot on the number of cars/drivers in the household.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: January 04, 2020 03:04PM
From what I've read, umbrella insurance is different from most insurance because it's basically paying for a high priced lawyer so you don't have to pay a settlement.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 04, 2020 06:10PM
I signed up for my first umbrella last year via State Farm. Seemed reasonable, but it DID require we up our auto insurance a bit. I had a warning from a frivolous lawsuit (that we we able to de-escalate) to get me to sign up. $1M for ~$100/year sounds right.

My employer offers a new, prepaid legal 'insurance' option this year. I signed up with the goal of getting our will and some related documents together - those alone are worth the annual fee.

So I think there are different options to solve this issue of large-scale legal bills, even if you are in the right.
Posted by: Frank
Date: January 04, 2020 07:09PM
Michael
We have a 2 million policy that costs $320 a year.

I just paid mine ... $328 for 2 million with Sate Farm. Think I'll check to see what 3 million would cost.
Posted by: Don C
Date: January 04, 2020 07:41PM
My Auto-Owners policy is for $1M and costs $150 a year (premium is coming up in a week or two).
Date: January 04, 2020 08:00PM
Don C
My Auto-Owners policy is for $1M and costs $150 a year (premium is coming up in a week or two).

is this $1M just the umbrella part, or is this your Auto insurance? I am confused since you mention Auto-Owners. I assume the auto insurance is separate and this $150 is only the umbrella to cover the difference to 1M.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 04, 2020 09:47PM
Yes. About $1 per $10,000 with State Farm.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Don C
Date: January 04, 2020 11:44PM
space-time
is this $1M just the umbrella part, or is this your Auto insurance? I am confused since you mention Auto-Owners. I assume the auto insurance is separate and this $150 is only the umbrella to cover the difference to 1M.

The $150 is only the umbrella policy. Auto and home are separate policies (and premiums).
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: January 05, 2020 11:11AM
Forrest
From what I've read, umbrella insurance is different from most insurance because it's basically paying for a high priced lawyer so you don't have to pay a settlement.

You're paying for the insurance company's lawyers to negotiate a settlement within the policy limits.

The limits usually stack, e.g. if you have $500k in auto insurance (required by my insurer before they'd write an umbrella policy) and $2 million in umbrella your total coverage is $2.5 million.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 148
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018