advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
milk, it does a body good?!.....Borden declares bankruptcy.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 06, 2020 12:18PM
......milk....

Another major US dairy, Borden, seeks bankruptcy protection

Borden is filing for bankruptcy protection, the second major US dairy to do so in as many months

......The U.S. dairy industry, the largest in the world, is under severe pressure as the consumption habits of Americans shift.

Borden Dairy Co. filed for bankruptcy protection, the second major U.S. dairy to do so in as many months. Borden produces nearly 500 million gallons of milk each year for groceries, schools and others. It employs 3,300 people and runs 12 plants across the U.S.

American refrigerators are increasingly stocked with juice, soda and milk substitutes made from soy or almonds. At the same time, protein bars, yogurts and other on-the-go breakfasts have replaced a morning bowl of cereal. That has hammered traditional milk producers like Borden, which was founded in 1857.

The amount of liquid milk consumed per capita in the U.S. has tumbled more than 40% since 1975. Americans drank around 24 gallons a year in 1996, according to government data. That dropped to 17 gallons in 2018.

As milk consumption has fallen, dairy farms have closed their doors. In court filings, Borden says 2,730 U.S. dairy farms have gone out of business in the last 18 months alone. The remaining farms can command higher prices, but that pinches Borden, which can't charge consumers more because of pressure from big competitors like Walmart. Walmart opened its own milk processing plant in Indiana in 2018.

“Despite our numerous achievements during the past 18 months, the company continues to be impacted by the rising cost of raw milk and market challenges facing the dairy industry,” said Borden CEO Tony Sarsam in a prepared statement late Sunday. “These challenges have contributed to making our current level of debt unsustainable."

Borden tried to revive sales last year by relaunching its iconic mascot Elsie, the smiling cow that first appeared on milk cartons in the 1930s. It also released new products like gingerbread-flavored eggnog and Kid Builder, a children's milk with higher levels of protein and calcium designed to compete with Fairlife, a trendy milk brand made by Coca-Cola Co. Borden said sales rose, but not enough to offset broader trends in the industry.

Dean Foods, the nation's largest milk producer, filed for bankruptcy protection in November. Both dairies are based in Dallas. The two companies controlled about 13.5% of U.S. milk sales last year, according to Euromonitor, a consulting firm.

Like Dean, Borden says it will continue to operate during its restructuring. Late last month, a Texas federal bankruptcy court allowed Dean to access $850 million in debtor-in-possession financing.

have you ever milked.......a teet.......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: milk, it does a body good?!.....Borden declares bankruptcy.....
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 06, 2020 12:23PM
We eschewed milk as a household many years ago when we discovered my son couldn't have any dairy at all (not just lactose intolerant); general health of the household improved nicely. Side-effect: everyone's skin cleared up.

Still occasionally have some real ice cream, or cheese, etc. when we go out to eat but milk in the house these days is typically an almond milk variant (unsweetened vanilla comes to mind).

Funny side story: as we were trying various types of "non-milk milk", I got some Soy-based chocolate milk for my son to try. He took a big swig and I asked, "how is it?"; he gave me the one moment sign and then spit it all out in the sink. He then said, "not very good".

It's spelled " y'all "

Posted by: TLB
Date: January 06, 2020 01:13PM
Almond milk here also. Dropped dairy after heart issues.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 06, 2020 01:21PM
Market Summary > Kraft Heinz Co
NASDAQ: KHC

31.44 USD +0.20 (0.66%)
Jan 6, 2:17 PM EST

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 06, 2020 01:31PM
Zoidberg
Funny side story: as we were trying various types of "non-milk milk", I got some Soy-based chocolate milk for my son to try. He took a big swig and I asked, "how is it?"; he gave me the one moment sign and then spit it all out in the sink. He then said, "not very good".

I don't think it's productive to switch all at once. Now that your household has made the transition, have you tried it again?

...I weaned myself off of most dairy using carrot juice and sweetened vanilla soy milk.

My tastebuds adjusted very quickly and in unexpected ways.

After a few months, the carrot juice and sweetened soy milk became too sweet for me and plain soy milk started tasting sweet. At that point, almond milk and cashew milk started tasting like liquid candy.

Skim milk is way too sweet for me now. And whole milk tastes like someone added corn syrup to butter. It's gross.

Oddly, cheese tastes just the same. Which is good. Because I still eat cheese. There's really no veggie substitute that can match the texture or melt like cheese. (My vegan boss swears by cashew cheese, which tastes exactly like watery cashews with some mustard and garlic to me. It's not cheese.)

Posted by: Acer
Date: January 06, 2020 01:46PM
Unimaginative milk drinker here. Come from a long line of long-lived dairy farmers, so it's probably genetic.
But I did switch to skim several years ago to reduce the calorie and cholesterol intake. Some on the cereal, maybe a cup at dinner.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 06, 2020 01:52PM
Sarcany
Zoidberg

I don't think it's productive to switch all at once. Now that your household has made the transition, have you tried it again?

...I weaned myself off of most dairy using carrot juice and sweetened vanilla soy milk.

My tastebuds adjusted very quickly and in unexpected ways.

After a few months, the carrot juice and sweetened soy milk became too sweet for me and plain soy milk started tasting sweet. At that point, almond milk and cashew milk started tasting like liquid candy.

Skim milk is way too sweet for me now. And whole milk tastes like someone added corn syrup to butter. It's gross.

Oddly, cheese tastes just the same. Which is good. Because I still eat cheese. There's really no veggie substitute that can match the texture or melt like cheese. (My vegan boss swears by cashew cheese, which tastes exactly like watery cashews with some mustard and garlic to me. It's not cheese.)

If people can get used to drinking alcohol (which tastes like hell to me) they can get used to eating and drinking anything.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 06, 2020 02:00PM
2% drinker here, average 1 gallon a week. Milk, water, and tomato juice are my mainstays.

But store brand (Publix) rather than a name brand. Why pay more for the exact same thing using a different label

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 06, 2020 02:26PM
Wonder how much money Dean owes to Land O'Lakes for the brand licensing?

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 06, 2020 02:33PM
I'll stick with 100% whole milk from cows.

Love it ice cold.

I drink an 8oz glass 4 out of 5 days, and have cold cereal or oatmeal with milk about as much.

Grew up on skim milk and didn't like it then or now.

Having whole milk back then was like drinking ice cream.

YUM!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 06, 2020 02:46PM
RAMd®d
I'll stick with 100% whole milk from cows.

Love it ice cold.

I drink an 8oz glass 4 out of 5 days, and have cold cereal or oatmeal with milk about as much.

Grew up on skim milk and didn't like it then or now.

Having whole milk back then was like drinking ice cream.

YUM!

RAMd®d taking a pause...

Posted by: vicrock
Date: January 06, 2020 02:58PM
NEVER drink milk - haven't since I was old enough to say no and have my mother respect my words!
Date: January 06, 2020 03:39PM
LOL, vis!

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 06, 2020 04:29PM
If it didn't come from a nipple/@#$%&, it isn't milk.

reall? The nannybot doesn't like the word for a cow's nipple?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2020 04:35PM by Racer X.
Date: January 06, 2020 04:34PM
.....have you ever milked a cat *******??

Date: January 06, 2020 04:36PM
It goes pretty quick, they have 8.
Posted by: stephen
Date: January 06, 2020 07:16PM
I like Fairlife a lot. Big fan. Always looking for it on sale.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: January 06, 2020 08:10PM
Farmers of all types keep boosting production then want to blame everyone else for the problem .
In last 10 years milk went from 190million tons to 220 million tons . Last year there were 77000 less dairy cows than 2018 but production was up 2% because of more per cow . The soy farmers whine about the China trade war but the average per acre production went from 40 bushels an acre to somewhere above 80 . 2 farmers got awards last year for beating 120 per acre . There come a point where production out paces use . I work in agriculture so I am not dissen them . It is just what is happens because of improved farming practices .
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 06, 2020 08:22PM
kefir, buttermilk, almond & skim .... occasionally.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 06, 2020 09:18PM
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 06, 2020 09:27PM
Only genuine whole milk for me.
Posted by: Don C
Date: January 06, 2020 09:51PM
I remember when the dairy delivery guy would open the back door and put milk and eggs on the ledge by the stairs into the house. Come summer time and we would beg him for ice; if he were at the end of the route, which happened sometimes, he would accommodate.

But that is a different thread, I suppose.

1% user here. Mostly it goes on my cold cereal mixture that I have nearly every morning. Got 2% one time by accident (different store, different cap color and I wasn't paying attention) and it seems awfully rich which surprised me because going from whole to 2% and then to 1% took some getting used to.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: January 06, 2020 10:31PM
This, is where milk goes to meet its mooker.

Shiva. My tumbler. A 32 ounce portal to the great beyond.

• A conservative estimation of my lifetime consumption, so far, puts it at 2,340 gallons.
  • Haven’t had whole milk regularly in decades. Restaurants only, when that’s all they have.
  • Non-fat only at home, for more years than I can remember, but if it’s genuine moo juice, I’m good with it.
  • Tried taste testing non-milk milks. No thanks.
  • Big and ice cold. There’s nothing I don’t prefer with milk.

Never, ever understood the ‘milk’s just for kids’ claptrap. More for me. big grin smiley
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 06, 2020 11:17PM
I use 2% milk in my coffee in the morning. Sometimes yogurt for lunch and I love pizza and cheese on sandwiches.

Huge farms trying to run their smaller competitors out of business by overproduction and end up failing themselves.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 06, 2020 11:19PM
Filliam H. Muffman

Huge farms trying to run their smaller competitors out of business by overproduction and end up failing themselves.

Milk is not like silver, oh wait...grinning smiley
Date: January 07, 2020 01:35AM
The nannybot doesn't like the word for a cow's nipple?

That's fine with me.

I've always thought that to be a workaround to using the more common, and my very favorite three-letter variant, four, if one is referring to pairs.

But that word is probably on The List as well.

So I'm happy that we can discuss nipples, which is my second favorite word for the subject.

Milk.

It does a body good.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: Acer
Date: January 07, 2020 12:28PM
nipples!
nipples!
nipples!

It's the MRF equivalent of underlining bad words in the schoolroom dictionary.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 07, 2020 03:09PM
The nanny filter can be easily deceived, you just have to use colorful language

Tit
or Teats if you prefer

The little boy in me finds breaking the rules to be udderly delightful

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: January 07, 2020 03:09PM
.....on the bright side......less cutting the cheese.......???

Date: January 08, 2020 07:40PM
Oh, for the love of God, SAVE THE CHEESE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 291
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018