advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can’t believe I am about to admit this (Star Wars 9 spoiler discussion)
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 08, 2020 09:39AM
The scene where CP3O steps back and says, “I want to take one last look at my friends”.

It drew a response from me that I didn’t expect. I was less affected when Luke and Leia passed. What happened?

This is the closest visual depiction I can find of the feeling.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can’t believe I am about to admit this (Star Wars 9 spoiler discussion)
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 08, 2020 10:20AM
I have to admit, I liked the end scene of the movie... Where, in the light of the twin suns of Tatooine, Rey gets to the old Lars homestead, and when asked her name by the "local", adopts herself as a Skywalker.

I can overlook a lot of things about that movie that annoyed me for that close to a 42 year long saga.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: DP
Date: January 08, 2020 10:22AM
Ha! But, while I have yet to see it and will probably wait till it's on cable, I have seen the scene (!) in the trailers, and my first thought was, "But you're a machine!". As in, something incapable of emotion. Yes, yes, there's all sorts of scenes throughout the series that shows "him" as one of the crew, but still...

Maybe my feeling comes from SW burnout.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 08, 2020 10:33AM
I'm sure if I thought about it, I could find a lot of issues with it.

The only thing that hit me right away was pretty minor.

During the speeder chase, Rey should have picked off all the stormtroopers without effort, because meanwhile, Kylo Ren is pulling off no-look shots right in the chest. And why would the technology for them to fly with jetpacks be a surprise?

Kinda the same gripe about Ep. VIII: Ren & Rey should have made quick work of the red guards after killing Snoke. Especially Ren.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 08, 2020 11:03AM
Yeah, but they had a backup.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 08, 2020 11:18AM
I expected that bit to be crap after it was spoiled in the preview, but it actually wasn't half-bad. 3P0 has always been comic relief, from the very first scenes of the first movie, and the reboot let him get back to that in a fun way (not an awful way, as in Episodes II and VII).

Giving him a backup later was cheesy, though. I rank it second in badness among the four false deaths in that movie (BAD writing).
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 08, 2020 11:55AM
What I wanna know is, how come Rey can fend off shots from that training drone when she's blinded by a helmet covering her eyes, balancing on a rope bridge, but can't hit any of the troopers chasing her through the desert?

Edit.(I see Lux was struck by that also.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2020 11:57AM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 08, 2020 12:21PM
DeusxMac
What I wanna know is, how come Rey can fend off shots from that training drone when she's blinded by a helmet covering her eyes, balancing on a rope bridge, but can't hit any of the troopers chasing her through the desert?

The most obvious differences would be defending versus attacking, and the ranges involved with each.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 08, 2020 01:02PM
As the father of a huge SW fan I'm genetically obligated to see all of these. Thankfully he was born after Episodes I, II, III (but "we" see them, along with the rest, on TV frequently ... )

Agree with Paul, the coda scene was good and proper.

I'd read one review prior, which criticized it for both pandering to the audience (dragging people and voices from the dead) and for not showing legit sacrifices (for not letting the dead stay dead.) I'm sure I missed Cassian Andor and Jyn Erso in there somewhere, somehow still alive after nuclear blast.)
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 08, 2020 01:19PM
It was good, and could have been better without much effort. Checkout "The incomparable" podcast on this for the deets.

[www.theincomparable.com]
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: January 08, 2020 07:09PM
A question: Suppose that I saw the first 3 films starting back in 1976 and so forth. Is this a film I could see and enjoy, or does it require knowledge of the rest of the Star Wars films? I never saw the others, so I guess I don't understand all the rest of the plot lines. I did however once walk Carrie F to her car to shield her from a dozen or so collector types, that kind of drove her crazy.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: January 08, 2020 09:27PM
I saw it New Years Eve. My wife and I both walked out afterward thinking they could have ended the series 3 movies earlier

JoeM
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 09, 2020 06:52AM
Ca Bob
A question: Suppose that I saw the first 3 films starting back in 1976 and so forth. Is this a film I could see and enjoy, or does it require knowledge of the rest of the Star Wars films? I never saw the others, so I guess I don't understand all the rest of the plot lines. I did however once walk Carrie F to her car to shield her from a dozen or so collector types, that kind of drove her crazy.

You probably ought to catch the first sequel ("The Force Awakens") on cable first, it introduces the new characters. You can skip the rest.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: January 09, 2020 08:17AM
mikebw
DeusxMac

The most obvious differences would be defending versus attacking, and the ranges involved with each.

Yeah, this is stuff I don’t even focus on. People don’t aways bring their “A” game. There’s a difference between how they perform ‘in class’ and how they perform under real fire, etc., etc. Experience lessens the lapses, but even Serena still gets her bu++ kicked every once in awhile.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 09, 2020 10:41AM
Blankity Blank
People don’t aways bring their “A” game. There’s a difference between how they perform ‘in class’ and how they perform under real fire, etc., etc.

But in this mythical Star Wars world, Rey isn't "people"; she's a Jedi/Palpatine. The common Star Wars world "people" are getting offed left and right.

And why do the troopers all wear that white armor if it apparently offers absolutely no protection from the handheld blasters?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: January 09, 2020 10:53AM
DeusxMac
And why do the troopers all wear that white armor if it apparently offers absolutely no protection from the handheld blasters?

Protects from nettle stings in rural environments.
Date: January 09, 2020 10:55AM
DeusxMac
Blankity Blank
People don’t aways bring their “A” game. There’s a difference between how they perform ‘in class’ and how they perform under real fire, etc., etc.

But in this mythical Star Wars world, Rey isn't "people"; she's a Jedi/Palpatine. The common Star Wars world "people" are getting offed left and right.

I think they’ve made it pretty clear Jedi are far from infallible too. big grin smiley
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 09, 2020 12:22PM
Dude. It's a movie.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: January 09, 2020 12:34PM
rjmacs
Dude. It's a movie.

You’re a monster. smiley-shocked003
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 09, 2020 01:08PM
rjmacs
Dude. It's a movie.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 276
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018