advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to create a simple website
Posted by: davemchine
Date: January 09, 2020 01:00PM
I would like to create a simple non-commercial website and have it listed on google but I don’t know how. I’m sure there are many tools and I’m hoping for a recommendation. I don’t mind paying if it isn’t too much. Thanks for any recommendations.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to create a simple website
Posted by: beagledave
Date: January 09, 2020 01:22PM
[www.squarespace.com]
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 09, 2020 01:35PM
<html>
</html>
Posted by: Harooneneutics
Date: January 09, 2020 01:50PM
Wordpress.com also is an option for a simple free or inexpensive site.
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 09, 2020 01:57PM
The two places mentioned are super easy to create a website at. Very good templates and professional layouts.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 09, 2020 02:20PM
.....Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can
Spins a WEB...........any size, catches thieves just like flies..........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 09, 2020 03:04PM
wix. all in one.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 09, 2020 03:18PM
SEO Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is extremely important. Or as you put it, "have it listed on google".

Wix seems to be leading in this area.
[www.websitebuilderexpert.com]

From the link:
Wix is "perfect for absolute SEO beginners"
No coding required.
SEO is built in.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 09, 2020 05:13PM
What about iWeb?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 09, 2020 05:21PM
DP
What about iWeb?

Wish it was still updated, it was actually pretty great for buildign sites.

But no automatic SEO, and html was a mess.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 09, 2020 05:47PM
Wix is probably the easiest for a simple site.

As far as choosing where to host based on SEO, thats likely a waste of time. The whole SEO thing is just a pitch by web experts to extract money from you.

If you take the time to have good unique content on your site, your SEO will be fine. If you're copying and pasting content from other sites, overdoing keywords, repeating content, using stock images, etc, your SEO will suffer.

So much depends on how unique your page is in content. If you manufacture widgets and there are 1000 companies that also manufacture widgets, it's tough to win that game without paid ads.

If you are running the website for the Church of Pink Dogs, you don't have to worry much about SEO.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 09, 2020 06:14PM
......so something......Wix.......it.....this way....comes......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: August West
Date: January 09, 2020 08:00PM
DP
What about iWeb?

jest smiley

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Don C
Date: January 09, 2020 11:06PM
I used iWeb LONG after it was discontinued ... up to last year, come to think of it.

I have been using the free Weebly site builder over at MacHighway but I am not very happy with it. Might be me learning how to use what is available, but I find it incredibly limiting. Don't know if that is my ignorance or it really is because I am using the free version.

A couple of folks in my dance group are web designers and have made it clear that I need professional help with my site. They have promised to take it on, but that hasn't happened yet. Maybe now that we are in the new year, they will step up.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: January 10, 2020 04:56AM
Does anyone still use applications like Rapidweaver, Sandvox or Freeway Express?
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: January 10, 2020 08:46AM
Hey, don't knock iWeb: it was handy in its day ;)
When it was time for me to create a simple website I checked out all the often-mentioned DIY services and settled on Adobe Portfolio, which is included in my current Adobe subscription. The interface felt the most intuitive to me although your results may vary. I already had hosting set up on GoDaddy.

JTRP
Posted by: davemchine
Date: January 10, 2020 01:22PM
Thank you for all the suggestions. I've been looking them over but haven't picked one yet.

Just for fun I did go looking for iWeb and was able to find a working copy. Still works! I even published a very crude page to the apache server running on my home iMac with a domain I already have. It looks terrible but it did work. :-) I'm running 10.13.6 High Sierra.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2020 03:33PM by davemchine.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 10, 2020 04:10PM
Sam3
Does anyone still use applications like Rapidweaver, Sandvox or Freeway Express?

Most modern web browsers are not going to play well with a site designed in Freeway express. The explanation below is probably not 100% technically correct but it gets the idea across.

Initially, sites were built primarily in HTML. Building anything that looked like more than a Word document meant that you had to resort to using an HTML table to do something as simple as placing a right justified photo. All programs, like Freeway, did at the time was to automate that process and create the code for you.

HTML5 and CSS are the basis for current websites, and they are much more dynamic. So rather than placing your photo in a certain cell in the table, it instead specifires its position relatively.
So it says something more like put that photo in the right 20% of the screen space, 25% of the way down the page.

The huge thing that allows for is responsive programming, where your site looks acceptable on desktops, tablets and phone screens. Standard HTML based sites did not function well on mobile devices unless you also designed a secondary mobile site.

So short story is...you probably need to move on from Freeway and other programs of that era.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 10, 2020 05:52PM
Another possible avenue...
I've been testing EverWeb, which is moderately "iWeb like" in interface.
I'm optimistic that it's going to be my replacement for iWeb for a dirt simple, fairly static, page I use at work (it's a landing page for students with links for the little kids and links to class pages for the bigger kids).

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 166
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018