Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
anyone use a robot vac? pros/cons?
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 09, 2020 03:11PM
just a gimmick? awsome?

these basic eufy are $150... good ratings. We have hardwood with some areas rugs and seem to do a lot of sweeping and vacuuming... this could run throughout the day...

[www.amazon.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: anyone use a robot vac? pros/cons?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 09, 2020 03:35PM
I still haven't finished setting mine up. It ran once in the middle of the night unexpectedly (I think a cat pressed the button), and it was LOUD, so probably not something you want humming along while you're there all the time.

Also, a BIG CON, if you're not aware, and have pets, is what happens if your pet has an accident on the floor and your robo-vac runs through it... and then it's everywhere...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 09, 2020 03:45PM
......they will take over....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 09, 2020 03:51PM
We had a Roomba, it constantly got stuck or hung up. I found it to be more bother than it was worth and finally gave it to my mother - she loved it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 09, 2020 03:52PM
We got a Roomba years ago and found that it got snagged on rug fringes, caught under cabinet fronts and had a very small dust basin. I eventually changed the battery but when it needed it again we donated it.

The one you linked to might be low enough to not get caught under counters; it looks like it has a bigger bin and perhaps the technology has beaten the fringe problem.

We bought a Dyson 8 a year ago to go along with our built in vacuum system. We like the Dyson a lot. It really just takes minutes to hit the dusty spots.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: January 09, 2020 04:04PM
Wife bought a Deebot DN622.11 a year or so ago (that's model number on sticker of machine), but her Amazon order shows it as being N79s.

I always thought these robot things were kind of a gimmick. But with all our furkids, it is super convenient and makes a nice cleanup when time is short. Easy to empty the dust chamber and it DOES pick up an impressive amount of dirt, dust, fur, etc.

I'd recommend this without reservation. She paid about $165 shipped...interesting now same product is $200. She also bought this accessory kit, I imagine the mfr makes these for other brands, too.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 09, 2020 04:10PM
Here is wurm's infamous "The Roomba was lost and is now found" thread from 2011.

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 09, 2020 04:11PM
Gareth

Also, a BIG CON, if you're not aware, and have pets, is what happens if your pet has an accident on the floor and your robo-vac runs through it... and then it's everywhere...

I remember that one, someone posted on facebook years ago and I think someone reposted the image here. I POMTL
Date: January 09, 2020 04:11PM
Just read the other replies...ours doesn't get stuck much. Occasionally under a kitchen chair slat, but not often. It is not overly quiet, so I run it when I'm leaving. We have all hardwoods and tile, so a few throw rugs and room rugs. No fringe here but it will turn over small door entry rugs. Usually does not get stuck on those but it has happened a few times.

The bin does need emptying every time or every other time. Takes about 45 seconds start to finish, so not a biggie here.

We vac with the Dyson every 4-5 days or so now instead of every day, so this is a nice break/timesaver from running the big vac daily.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 09, 2020 04:13PM
The really cool ones have a laser which scans the room and makes a 3D map and can avoid obstacles, stairs, etc. Also it knows where it is in the room and can make sure it covers the entire room, not just go at random like the Roomba I had about 12 years ago. Those also have Apps and you and schedule/start/monitor remotely.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: January 09, 2020 04:52PM
We have the $150 Eufy, it’s pretty worthless. Unlike more expensive designs it doesn’t learn your room shapes/sizes or any obstacles in the rooms, so it spends a lot of time bouncing off things and covering the same areas while missing others. It was a Black Friday purchase back in 2018, we don’t use it often.

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 09, 2020 04:54PM
Our EUFY gets clogged with corgi hair halfway through its run. We also end up have a charger cord someplace that it sucks up and gets stuck on...

If we didn't have dogs, maybe.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: January 09, 2020 05:17PM
Thanks so far.

No dog hair, and only some random cat hair -- mosly just dust bunnies and general whatever.

We have been eyeing a new house, the lower floor is all hardwood -- but 5 big rooms -- living, dining, entry, study and kitchen/great room, so thinking about an easier way to keep it clean. We have hardwood in our current house, but 1/3 the size of the new place -- its pretty easy to maintain with a broom and a dyson stick.

The "not learning" part sounds important. I did see there is a slightly more expensive eufy @180 that has some more features... maybe its got it. Really dont want to spend a ton. $200 and I could just get a second vaccuum for both floors.

Place is plumbed for a whole house vac, but they look $$$$.

----

Posted by: sekker
Date: January 09, 2020 05:32PM
We have a new Deebot, works well.
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 09, 2020 05:49PM
We have a roomba, replaced original we had. From Costco. New pup ate virtual wall. Need to replace them. Stopped it after that because it got stuck on area rug.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 09, 2020 05:57PM
Tried a Roomba a year ago, and returned it when we discovered it was eating our rugs (and they're not cheap, poorly made rugs).

When emptying the Roomba out after a run, we could see all the rug fibers it had dislodged and sucked up.
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 09, 2020 06:55PM
jdc

Already ready to go? I'd absolutely look at buying a central power unit and a hose/attachment set. A quick looks shows a Nutone power unit for a bit over $300. Ours is a Kenmore that I bought and installed in our old house 35 years ago. Thirty years ago I brought it to our current house when we were building. It just chugs along. I've had to replace the hose once, but I also bought an extra hose for upstairs and one for the basement. I buy the ones that are advertised as for the garage on eBay for about $30. It's so nice having the exhaust go outside. I clean out the power unit maybe twice a year. It's amazing how much dirt accumulates in that time.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 09, 2020 08:15PM
Bender keeps drinking all my beer, so I cancelled him.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 09, 2020 08:43PM
....Bender.....Over....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: January 09, 2020 09:40PM
Michael
jdc

Already ready to go? I'd absolutely look at buying a central power unit and a hose/attachment set. .

Yeah, I saw some units for $300, but would need another $300+ in hoses and what not. Maybe if it was a 10,000 SF house... but only 3000. And 2000+ is wood floor.

----

Date: January 10, 2020 08:44AM
EDIT: I guess I haven't been the one to walk in after R2 (my wife's nic for the Deebot) finished the job...yesterday, probably because I posted a nice writeup, I noticed it does not play well with small (2x3) rugs. It got caught up in two of them. So pick those up beforehand and you're good to go if you like this model. And yeah, avoid fringe rugs.
Posted by: JPK
Date: January 10, 2020 12:01PM
Just picked up one of those Anker Eufy ones.

Set it up, it run, it vacuums, it collects, but it never re-docks. I think you have to have a pretty large semi circle of space for it to properly dock. My room doesn't have that, so every other night we have to look for it and put back in the dock after it ran out of battery.

Make sure you have all you cords safely tucked Y protected.

We use it in the basement, jury is still out, but for $150 it was worth a shot.

John P. Kelly
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: January 14, 2020 12:14PM
There's a Chinese outfit, iLife, that builds and sells a whole line of these things on Amazon for around $100-$200. I bought an A4 model that I use on my hardwood floors. It lasted about 2 years before I replaced it with another one. Basically the bearings wore out in the first unit because of all the construction dust created during my home renovation. The unit is slightly undersized for my house so it sometimes runs out of energy before getting back to the charge station, but overall it does an amazing job. It does sometimes get tangled up in a throw rug and there are two chairs it is very fond of where it can get itself hung up on. What surprises me is the amount of dust and crap it finds and I don't currently have any dogs, cats or kids in the house. I'd say it was worth the cost for me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020