advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So ... Netflix' "Marriage Story"
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 12, 2020 06:27PM
Not an easy viewing necessarily. Sorta knew what I was in for going in tho. Really good acting, IMO. And yes the directing was strong. Glad I saw it.

Not without its flaws (why does the son act younger than "8," and why must the observer be so, uh, creepy and uncomfortable?)

Kramer vs. Kramer was 40 years ago (!) ... very different movie but equally powerful. Saw it as a kid in the theater. I have a feeling I'd understand it better today. I have a feeling I don't need to see either again. As a friend of mine would say, "check," as in, checked off the list. That's as much praise as anything else, FYI.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So ... Netflix' "Marriage Story"
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: January 12, 2020 06:52PM
We also found it extraordinary. Loved it. An honest portrayal of a relationship that is no longer working and trying to do the right thing the whole way through. Adam Driver is brilliant.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Date: January 12, 2020 08:50PM
Seemed to settle into a "his perspective" story, but I wonder if women viewing it would feel the opposite.

I think my only other complaint was that I thought their huge fight was ... not in character with what we'd been shown about them.

But when Driver's character says, "What do I do?" it was a strikingly honest question asked ... more than once.
Date: January 12, 2020 09:13PM
That fight scene was stunningly good cinema.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: DavidS
Date: January 13, 2020 08:28AM
My wife watched it this weekend without me. Should I read anything into that (hopefully not)? Personally, I do not like Adam Driver's acting (which she knows), so I expressed a lack of interest in viewing it.
Date: January 13, 2020 08:34AM
Same here, DavidS. For me that was largely based on his Star Wars roles. Once I saw him in The Report on the CIA's torture of citizens, that changed my perception.

The Marriage is emotionally intense, so no light viewing. But criminy, no wonder it won so many awards.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 13, 2020 08:56AM
Just nominated by the Academy for best picture

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: January 13, 2020 09:28AM
I had been looking forward to seeing them both in "other" roles besides Avengers or Star Wars stuff. I'd seen his SNL appearance and her in Lost in Translation and The Prestige. Totally forgot she was in the latter.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 13, 2020 11:07AM
......I also don't like Adam Driver's acting.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 13, 2020 11:11AM
When the reviews say 'best Noah Baumbach movie ever', it makes me wince.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 13, 2020 11:13AM
DavidS
Personally, I do not like Adam Driver's acting (which she knows), so I expressed a lack of interest in viewing it.

He was fun in Logan Lucky. Have you seen that?
Posted by: DavidS
Date: January 13, 2020 11:30AM
DeusxMac
DavidS
Personally, I do not like Adam Driver's acting (which she knows), so I expressed a lack of interest in viewing it.

Never heard of it. Sequel to Logan’s Run?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 13, 2020 11:33AM
DavidS

Never heard of it. Sequel to Logan’s Run?

....'heist' movie by Soderbergh with Channing Tatum.....it was an entertaining movie.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 11:34AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 13, 2020 02:26PM
I liked the fight scene, but thought the rest of the movie was weak sauce. I'm pretty sure that they modelled the fight scene on Elizabeth Taylor's and Richard Burton's scenes from "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf", a much better acted and much more intense film.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: January 13, 2020 03:30PM
I thought the strengths were in the unexplored story aspects, not the “ooh, that’s gonna be a problem!” gotchas. Her drinking wasn’t an issue any more than the coincidental cut he self inflicted. If anything it was comical the way he had to pick up the purse, open the door and so o man while the blood is dripping. I laughed.

No, the legit drama included the nugget where he learned she’d visited so many lawyers, locking him out from them. And how he seemingly wanted them to be together (or some version of it, on his terms) despite not coming clean about his affair.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 13, 2020 09:41PM
DeusxMac
DavidS

I liked him in This Is Where I Leave You. Everyone in it was good, actually — this a great little movie.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 220
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018