advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best Solid State "drive" manufacturers?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 13, 2020 03:48AM
I'll be getting at least 2 before too long @250GB and maybe a 500 or 1TB. Anyway Crucial BX or better yet MX, Samsung EVO and Seagate. Anything else?

Is the Samsung EVO Pro that much better (for the big one, boot drive in a MacPro 3.1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 04:03AM by Racer X.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best Solid State "drive" manufacturers?
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 13, 2020 04:15AM
"best" is subjective. 250 GB SSDs are pretty much disposable.

Unless you have a PCI SATA card, getting the "fastest" wont really matter.

MX or EVO get the best ratings... adnd 5 year warranty. Of course, if they die doesnt matter the warranty, still dead drive. If you are broke the EVO costs more, but like the price of a good cheeseburger more -- so meh.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: January 13, 2020 06:38AM
It's not the manufacturer but the category of drive. They all have consumer grade and enterprise grade drives. The enterprise grade drivers will be more reliable, in the case of SSDs they have more space storage to replace failed sectors as they creep up
Posted by: clay
Date: January 13, 2020 08:52AM
I have had great experience with Samsung drives. I can't say that about any other manufacturer I've tried, and I've tried most of the reputable ones...

You don't need the PRO version of Samsung unless you are running it in a super high end setting with tons of TB of write life. For desktop/laptop use, the regular EVO is more than adequate. I had one Samsung SSD running as a boot drive for about 7 years and it still showed about 90% life span left when I finally passed it on to someone else. Zero issues so far with the couple of dozen Samsungs I've installed in the past 7-8 years. I can't say that about the other manufacturers I've used. I'm sure I'll eventually get an issue with a Samsung, but for now that who I'm sticking with.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 13, 2020 09:07AM
I trust what I get from OWC: [eshop.macsales.com]

Been buying & recommending for years without issue.

It's spelled " y'all "

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 13, 2020 09:33AM
I'd just go for the longest warranty. Backup, backup, backup. SSDs are much harder to do data recovery on than a HDD.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: January 13, 2020 09:55AM
C(-)ris
I'd just go for the longest warranty.

I used to think this way, for something like a drive, it doesnt matter if it has a 90 day or 90 year "warranty" -- when it dies its dead and gone.

I bought nothing but WD Black drives way back when because of this... but they are the only drives that have ever failed on me... and after short time periods.

----

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 13, 2020 10:11AM
"best" is subjective.
Agreed!

Often overlooked are Mushkin's offerings. They're part of Avant Technology based in Austin, TX.
Much of their product line is US mfd. & they're an OEM for several major brands.

I've got an Extreme Reactor 1TB that's been in service for 4+ years,

Mushkin Website

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 10:16AM by MrNoBody.
Date: January 13, 2020 10:12AM
jdc
C(-)ris

I used to think this way, for something like a drive, it doesnt matter if it has a 90 day or 90 year "warranty" -- when it dies its dead and gone.

I bought nothing but WD Black drives way back when because of this... but they are the only drives that have ever failed on me... and after short time periods.

Double this. I would never send a drive (HDD or SSD) back on a warranty return/exchange. I've got data on there; my own and my client's. They assume I won't let their data go anywhere beyond my office.

I buy based on reputation and past experience, and for critical things it's always backed up or in a mirror RAID setup.

It's spelled " y'all "

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: January 13, 2020 11:04AM
OK here's what I have:

2x Samsung Evo, 2-3 yrs old
5x WD (Black NVMe, 3x Blue 3D, 1x Blue), 0-3 yrs old
4x Sandisk (2x Plus, Ultra Plus, Extreme), 3-8 yrs old
2x OWC (Electra 3G) 5+ yrs old, 1 failure replaced under warranty
2x Crucial (M500, MX300, MX500) 2-4 yrs old
2x Kingston V300, 5+ yrs old, not used much now
1x MyDigitalSSD BP5e, 3 yrs old
1x Adata SU630 *QLC*, a few months old
1x Silicon Power S60, ~3 yrs old, not used much now

One failure total, replaced under warranty.

Just buy an SSD.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: January 13, 2020 11:19AM
Zoidberg
I trust what I get from OWC: [eshop.macsales.com]

Been buying & recommending for years without issue.

Agreed! They just work, and OWC is good with replacing broken/faulty drives. 100% recommend.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 13, 2020 11:37AM
jdc
C(-)ris

I don't do it because I think it will last longer or not die, I do it so that I will get a replacement when it dies and not have to shell out for a new drive.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 13, 2020 12:02PM
One thing that runs through my mind when thinking about this is to lean towards manufacturers that also manufacture the Flash memory chips. They will likely use there own chips, have a lot of knowledge about how to design an SSD using them, and will likely have more consistent reliability and performance because they're not using Flash from multiple suppliers.

Off the top of my head that would include

Samsung
Crucial/Micron
Intel
Date: January 13, 2020 12:24PM
C(-)ris
I don't do it because I think it will last longer or not die, I do it so that I will get a replacement when it dies and not have to shell out for a new drive.

Valid plan. However... at least in my case they have been replaced with refurbed drives... not new ones. =(

Anytime a clients drive dies or needs "repair" -- I dont even bother with warranty replacements, or keep using the same drive.

It just gets replaced.

*especially* these days when I can get 5 TB for $100.

----

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 13, 2020 01:23PM
.....does it come with or without.....Solid Gold dancers......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: January 13, 2020 01:43PM
jdc

I think this discussion drifted away from SSDs or you're getting some amazing deals.
Date: January 13, 2020 02:16PM
GGD
jdc

I think this discussion drifted away from SSDs or you're getting some amazing deals.

Agreed. The thread took a lean toward "best" & "warranty" rather than SSD.

----

Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 13, 2020 02:31PM
Seems gimmicky, but not a big premium over the very popular T5. I'll likely get one just because.

[www.theverge.com]

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 13, 2020 03:21PM
The price of the Samsung EVO 860 1TB has jumped up from $109.99 to $129.99 over the last 3 weeks.

any reason?
Posted by: timg
Date: January 13, 2020 05:34PM
Flash prices are not going down soon. Kioxia (formerly Toshiba) had a fire in their fab last week. affected production, which will in turn affect prices.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 14, 2020 01:19AM
If one doesn't want to roll there own, a small but pricey CalDigit Tuff Nano looks to be an interesting external.

Smaller than the T5 in size and unfortunately in capacity at 512G, it's front pants pocket compact.

Rubber bumper
IP67
USB-C 3.2 Gen 2
m.2NVME SSD
$129

The T5 with the fingerprint reader is gimmicky, unless it fills a need, assuming it can't be bypassed if the case is opened and the drive removed.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 14, 2020 11:40AM
Mt experience with SSD drives other than two MBA's.

One OWC 256Gb 3G failed within a year, replaced under warranty no questions asked.

I do have to wonder if the he sensor coming off the drive had anything to do with it. They sent me a new sticky pad to reattach the sensor to the new one. The performance of the SSD compared to the old failing platter drive is amazing.

Grateful11
Date: January 14, 2020 02:56PM
timg
Flash prices are not going down soon. Kioxia (formerly Toshiba) had a fire in their fab last week. affected production, which will in turn affect prices.

Seems like there's always only one place that makes a crucial component, and it's always on fire.

It's spelled " y'all "

Date: January 14, 2020 07:54PM
Zoidberg
timg

Seems like there's always only one place that makes a crucial component, and it's always on fire.

Or under water....

Thailand is the world's second-largest producer of hard disk drives, supplying approximately 25 percent of the world's production.[76] Many of the factories that made hard disk drives were flooded, including Western Digital's, leading some industry analysts to predict future worldwide shortages of hard disk drives.[77][78] Western Digital was able to get one of their plants, flooded on 15 October 2011, restored and operating on 30 November 2011. Western Digital's flood-related costs were estimated at between US$225–275 million, however, an insurance claim of US$50 million for property damage, and another claim for business interruption would help lower the net impact.[79] As a result, most hard disk drive prices almost doubled globally, which took approximately two years to recover.[77][80]

[en.wikipedia.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 269
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018