advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Would like three new Smoke Detectors... (Battery Operated).
Posted by: spacescape
Date: January 13, 2020 12:47PM
My smoke detectors are about 10+ years old so looking to replace them. I have First Alert smoke detectors and the price seems a little low and hard to find locally so thinking might be a better brand I should consider.

[www.homedepot.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Would like three new Smoke Detectors... (Battery Operated).
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 13, 2020 12:55PM
costco? I bought a half dozen of these as replacements last year -- comes with 10 year battery. $25 for 2? I cant remember.

What I really like was how thin they were. Old ones were a huge bump on the cieling.

[www.costco.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 13, 2020 01:02PM
jdc
costco? I bought a half dozen of these as replacements last year -- comes with 10 year battery. $25 for 2? I cant remember.

What I really like was how thin they were. Old ones were a huge bump on the cieling.

[www.costco.com]

Those do look very nice when installed. Problem I had though was after 1 year one started giving false alarms, and eventually it would not allow me to silence it. No battery to pull so I wound up smashing it with a hammer, then returning it to Costco. I explained and they refunded me. After some research it seems you need to be diligent about cleaning them (vacuuming) or the same could happen another time.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 13, 2020 01:03PM
Mine are all wired together with 120VAC. I like the 10 year battery units --- basically swap the whole unit out, done. That reminds me.. I have a couple to install in the house.

I'm also thinking about changing to combined CO / Smoke alarms.
Date: January 13, 2020 01:26PM
I like the idea of a 10 year battery (set it and forget it)... Forces you to change every 10 years.

As far as the Fire / CO Detectors. CO detectors really should be low.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 13, 2020 02:18PM
mikebw
jdc

[www.costco.com]

Those do look very nice when installed. Problem I had though was after 1 year one started giving false alarms, and eventually it would not allow me to silence it. No battery to pull so I wound up smashing it with a hammer, then returning it to Costco. I explained and they refunded me. After some research it seems you need to be diligent about cleaning them (vacuuming) or the same could happen another time.

Good to know. No problems yet. Not a lot of 'dust' here.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 13, 2020 02:23PM
I did a lot of research on this and ended up going with the rather expensive Nest detectors. The early versions had false alarm problems but the newer ones don't appear to have those problems. What I really like these is that they self-test periodically, they include CO alarms, network together wirelessly, and will notify my phone that the house is on-fire and which smoke detector is sensing smoke.

Costco sells discounted two-packs.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 13, 2020 02:24PM
spacescape

I have to ask what you are basing that on? CO has pretty much the same density as air and does not concentrate low in a room. About the only limitations I have seen in manufacturers directions is that if mounted high on a wall it should be at least 6" below the ceiling, and if mounted on the ceiling the detector should be at least 6" from the wall.

Now if you were thinking of CO2, then you would want the sensor low as it tends to pool near a floor.
Date: January 13, 2020 02:56PM
JoeH
spacescape

I have to ask what you are basing that on? CO has pretty much the same density as air and does not concentrate low in a room. About the only limitations I have seen in manufacturers directions is that if mounted high on a wall it should be at least 6" below the ceiling, and if mounted on the ceiling the detector should be at least 6" from the wall.

Now if you were thinking of CO2, then you would want the sensor low as it tends to pool near a floor.

My bad... I skimmed and misspoke.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 14, 2020 12:57AM
In the last 20 years or so, I had two smoke detectors start giving false alarms and had to pull the battery.

On 'net advice somewhere, I used compressed air to blow out a coil in both.

Lots of dust in one, and a tiny dead spider in another.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: January 14, 2020 05:04AM
Was pretty excited (at first) at the First Alert ZCOMBO...

[www.amazon.com]

Like the idea of them all linking up and letting me know when I'm not home if one of them go off. However, I then saw you needed a Smart Things Hub... But, still pretty neat.
Posted by: norse
Date: January 14, 2020 10:32AM
spacescape
Was pretty excited (at first) at the First Alert ZCOMBO...

[www.amazon.com]

Like the idea of them all linking up and letting me know when I'm not home if one of them go off. However, I then saw you needed a Smart Things Hub... But, still pretty neat.

I used to have these linked to my SmartThings. Now, I have them linked to my Ring System.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 248
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020