advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re: MLB serious about sign stealing. Wow.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 14, 2020 11:19AM
beagledave
sekker

I think they need to make invisible signs - maybe a ring for the pitcher and a Headsup display for the catcher’s helmet.

Sure, a hacker could try to ‘steal’, but they could recode the encryption between each inning if they like.

It's the CATCHER that calls the pitch (the pitcher can shake it off, but the catcher initiates the process). I don't see how a heads up display on a pitcher would work.

Nothing wrong with "stealing" the signs. That's part of the game so i believe something like that would interfere with the nature of the sport. You just shouldn't be allowed to use technology to gather information during the competition. "Solving" your opponent is a thing.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 14, 2020 11:53AM
vision63
beagledave
sekker

I think they need to make invisible signs - maybe a ring for the pitcher and a Headsup display for the catcher’s helmet.

Sure, a hacker could try to ‘steal’, but they could recode the encryption between each inning if they like.

It's the CATCHER that calls the pitch (the pitcher can shake it off, but the catcher initiates the process). I don't see how a heads up display on a pitcher would work.

Nothing wrong with "stealing" the signs. That's part of the game so i believe something like that would interfere with the nature of the sport. You just shouldn't be allowed to use technology to gather information during the competition. "Solving" your opponent is a thing.

Agreed. If you want to win, you will try to win - within the rules, if you're smart. Going right up to the limit is what everyone should strive for, otherwise you're not really trying (because the other side is doing the same, and folks who think otherwise are naive).
Posted by: Dazed & Confused
Date: January 14, 2020 07:37PM
The memes are starting:

D & C
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 14, 2020 09:23PM
beagledave
sekker

Yes, but that's because of the way light info is transmitted. No reason the pitcher can't call the pitches...
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 14, 2020 09:48PM
Yes, but that's because of the way light info is transmitted. No reason the pitcher can't call the pitches...

The catcher is a daily player and all around field general, while the pitcher is on the mound every 5th or 6th game, if that. Relief pitchers have no working knowledge inventory of opposing hitter weaknesses; at least not like catchers have.

There is just no way it's feasible or desirable to have pitchers calling signals.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 14, 2020 10:03PM
RgrF

The catcher is a daily player and all around field general, while the pitcher is on the mound every 5th or 6th game, if that. Relief pitchers have no working knowledge inventory of opposing hitter weaknesses; at least not like catchers have.

There is just no way it's feasible or desirable to have pitchers calling signals.

Top pitchers effectively call their own games by calling off catchers until they get the pitch they want. The best pitchers like Greg Maddux called their games for years.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 14, 2020 10:14PM
Top pitchers effectively call their own games by calling off catchers until they get the pitch they want. The best pitchers like Greg Maddux called their games for years.

True and then their are HoF pitchers who brag they never ever shook off a call. By and large pitchers trust catchers to make the right call.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 15, 2020 07:59AM
Pitchers and catchers are dance partners. They can't both lead, and a great pair is a delight to watch.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 15, 2020 11:45AM
Speedy
At least they didn’t deflate the ball.

MLB knows how to punish cheaters and those that can't behave. NFL not so much.

I wonder if the MLB's action might force the NFL's hands the next time someone gets caught cheating.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 15, 2020 01:05PM
....so there was a catcher......in the rye....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: raz
Date: January 15, 2020 02:06PM
RgrF
True and then there are HoF pitchers who brag they never ever shook off a call. By and large pitchers trust catchers to make the right call.

Don't think, Meat. Just throw.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 366
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018