advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Upgrade Microsoft Office 2008?
Posted by: h linamen
Date: January 13, 2020 02:14PM
My wife has successfully used the Microsoft Office:2008 for years and is now having problems with EXCEL. What is the most efficient and cheapest way to upgrade? I was looking on Amazon and now they only offer one year apps? Is there another app that could be used in lieu of Excel and would be compatible to transfer data to that new app?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 02:29PM by h linamen.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Upgrade Microsoft Office 2008?
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: January 13, 2020 02:36PM
I would just buy an older, but newer, perpetual license version of Office 2011 or 2016 for Mac. It will still be fine for years to come.

What issues is she having? Just compatibility issues with the .xlsx format?

You could also install the latest version of LibreOffice, and it will work and is compatible: [www.libreoffice.org]

Posted by: samintx
Date: January 13, 2020 02:36PM
Numbers from Apple? I have transferred Excel files to Apples program. Yes Libreoffice is good. Nuts to Adobe and Misc subscriptions smiley-talk034

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 02:38PM by samintx.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 13, 2020 02:44PM
onthedownlow
I would just buy an older, but newer, perpetual license version of Office 2011 or 2016 for Mac. It will still be fine for years to come.

Skip 2011 at this point (won't work in Catalina or any future OS).

You can still buy perpetual licenses on Amazon: [www.amazon.com]
Date: January 13, 2020 02:47PM
True, but not knowing the OS or hardware (though they are using 2008 already), whatever version you want to go with.

If Office, I would stick with 2016, as the prices are much cheaper (instead of $200+ for 2019) - $50-$80 - possibly less shopping around, but that is ballpark.

Posted by: davester
Date: January 13, 2020 02:49PM
I'm still using Office 2004 on my Mac at home and it has no difficulty dealing with files created by my latest version of Office at work with the exception of Excel sheets with large numbers of columns (pre-Office 2007/8 there were only 256 columns allowed in Excel). Have you updated your office installation lately?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: January 13, 2020 02:56PM
onthedownlow
If Office, I would stick with 2016, as the prices are much cheaper (instead of $200+ for 2019) - $50-$80 - possibly less shopping around, but that is ballpark.

That would be of interest to me but I'm not seeing where you can buy that at a reasonable price.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: January 13, 2020 03:00PM
All over Amazon - more Windows versions out there, but Mac is there.

'Office 2016 for Mac'

Also: [www.google.com]

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 13, 2020 03:35PM
Since the 2008 version of Office is having problems with the registration servers being shut down, I would expect the 2011 copy to have similar problems in a year or three.

It would help to know why it has to be M$ Orifice. LibreOffice is usually over 90% compatible but people do end up going down rabbit holes where only M$ products will work (need M$ Works or M$ Publisher compatibility?).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 13, 2020 03:36PM
Go to eBay, search for "Office 2016 Mac", buy an international license for around $20. If you want Office 365, it will be around $10.

You get the full Office suite with a license. It will register and upgrade. You can get Office 2019 for the same price which is what I did last year and have had no issues.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: August West
Date: January 13, 2020 03:58PM
I don't know about lowest-priced, but I've been using Office 365 at a job this past year, and it's probably the most I've used Office, ever. Started using OneDrive, and have been looking to adapt to OneNote also. I believe people have recommended LibreOffice in place of MS, but you'd have to check on that.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: StingMe
Date: January 13, 2020 04:11PM
Apple's Numbers, Google Sheets, and others can import/export Excel files but what she does with Excel will determine if an alternative would be convenient enough to go that route.

$100-150 for Office Home & Student 2019 (1 user license, not a subscription but doesn't include Outlook)
Posted by: decay
Date: January 13, 2020 05:04PM
Got an educational email address?

[onthehub.com]

---
Date: January 13, 2020 05:06PM
or $70 per year, one person
[www.apple.com]

---
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 13, 2020 05:22PM
Ombligo
Go to eBay, search for "Office 2016 Mac", buy an international license for around $20. If you want Office 365, it will be around $10.

You get the full Office suite with a license. It will register and upgrade. You can get Office 2019 for the same price which is what I did last year and have had no issues.

Second this. I was initially skeptical, but it works. Is it playing fast-and-loose with the rules? Maybe - I dunno. But MS is still living off of the tautology of people being largely locked in to Office because everyone uses Office-formatted documents - most of which are more-or-less simple text. And then you get a chance to upgrade for rather large sums of money to keep doing so.

Screw em.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 13, 2020 05:53PM
pdq
Ombligo

Second this. I was initially skeptical, but it works. Is it playing fast-and-loose with the rules? Maybe - I dunno. But MS is still living off of the tautology of people being largely locked in to Office because everyone uses Office-formatted documents - most of which are more-or-less simple text. And then you get a chance to upgrade for rather large sums of money to keep doing so.

Screw em.

Especially since they're killing of Windoze 7 mañana, and expect about a third of the world's PC users to ante up about $140 each to migrate to Win10, or feel the wrath of someone evil.
==
Posted by: SteveO
Date: January 13, 2020 06:51PM
Ombligo

So...you can get Office 2016 for Mac -- international license --for around $20? That's it...not a scam? Really? I'm in same boat with Office '08. No difficulties opening stuff, yet. On Mavs in my case.

OP: you may want to reinstall '08 and see if that solves the issues, before hassling with anything else?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 06:53PM by SteveO.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 13, 2020 07:13PM
SteveO
So...you can get Office 2016 for Mac -- international license --for around $20? That's it...not a scam?

yes, though I got Office 2019 for Mac for $9. I was skeptical but decided I could gamble $9 and won. I've now done the same to my son's MBP and my daughter-in-laws MBA.

These are mostly 2019, but I saw a 2016 in there too
[www.ebay.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 13, 2020 07:30PM
davester
I'm still using Office 2004 on my Mac at home and it has no difficulty dealing with files created by my latest version of Office at work with the exception of Excel sheets with large numbers of columns (pre-Office 2007/8 there were only 256 columns allowed in Excel). Have you updated your office installation lately?

What version of the OS is running on that Mac?

It is what it is.
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 13, 2020 07:43PM
SteveO

So...you can get Office 2016 for Mac -- international license --for around $20? That's it...not a scam?

Nope. Not a scam.

$20 is a little overstated though. Try 4 Pounds Sterling.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: January 13, 2020 07:48PM
Ombligo
SteveO

yes, though I got Office 2019 for Mac for $9. I was skeptical but decided I could gamble $9 and won. I've now done the same to my son's MBP and my daughter-in-laws MBA.

[www.ebay.com]

Thanks!
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 13, 2020 08:12PM
I would guess that these might be either counterfeit codes that work (ala the AppleCare fiasco a while back), or are codes from large employers/institutions that have bulk discounts (and are not meant for the general public).

So while they will work, they may not be entirely "legal".
Date: January 14, 2020 07:56AM
Ombligo
[www.ebay.com]

In for one.

---
Posted by: clay
Date: January 14, 2020 10:05AM
Yeah, these ebay codes work. But I've found they can sometimes require phone activation. And then sometimes after a reinstall a year or so down the line, they may stop activating altogether. Still, though, for $10, that's a great deal, even if you have to rebuy a couple of times over the course of time. Still much cheaper than the retail pricing.

And then the other thing is that these ebay sellers often get shut down (assume by request of MS). I think these licenses are still legit, but may not technically fall under what MS would term acceptable use between them and the license issuer.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 14, 2020 10:55AM
Yikes. Many downloadable versions under $10 from sellers with < 5 transactions. Whether it works or not, and whether it's legal or not, you guys aren't worried about what you may be downloading?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2020 10:56AM by datbeme.
Date: January 14, 2020 11:01AM
N-OS X-tasy!
davester

Sierra on one and Mavericks on the other.

Posted by: GGD
Date: January 14, 2020 12:07PM
datbeme
Yikes. Many downloadable versions under $10 from sellers with < 5 transactions. Whether it works or not, and whether it's legal or not, you guys aren't worried about what you may be downloading?

You shouldn't need to download the apps from the sellers, just the activation/license info. The apps should come from Microsoft's servers.

Here's a good site that has links to the downloads for lots of office versions.

[macadmins.software]
Posted by: Z
Date: January 14, 2020 12:34PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Since the 2008 version of Office is having problems with the registration servers being shut down, I would expect the 2011 copy to have similar problems in a year or three.

It would help to know why it has to be M$ Orifice. LibreOffice is usually over 90% compatible but people do end up going down rabbit holes where only M$ products will work (need M$ Works or M$ Publisher compatibility?).

They've already EOL'd the registration servers for 2011 AFAICT, as we'd tried to set it up on Mrs Z's new MBA but it was no dice.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 14, 2020 12:35PM
davester
N-OS X-tasy!
davester

Sierra on one and Mavericks on the other.

I assume Office 2004 is running on the Mavericks machine.

It is what it is.
Posted by: clay
Date: January 14, 2020 03:06PM
GGD
datbeme

You shouldn't need to download the apps from the sellers, just the activation/license info. The apps should come from Microsoft's servers.

[macadmins.software]

These sellers are just sending you a serial number/registration number. You download the software direct from Microsoft. The sellers have low feedback/transactions because MS keeps shutting them down, so they have to keep setting up new accounts.
Posted by: Cary
Date: January 14, 2020 04:38PM
I bought an Office 365 subscription for $2 on ebay. It's been working for over 2 years - updates and all...
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 14, 2020 11:14PM
clay
GGD
datbeme

[macadmins.software]

These sellers are just sending you a serial number/registration number. You download the software direct from Microsoft. The sellers have low feedback/transactions because MS keeps shutting them down, so they have to keep setting up new accounts.

I'd rather say I'm posting this for a friend, but of course, that would be a lie. After reading some of the comments here last night, I figured why not? If it's a legit license coming through a slightly questionable channel, who is it hurting?

I have no need or desire to use Office to create documents. If I did I would subscribe. But about 3x times a year, I find myself needing to proof, review, modify or react to a MS document someone sends me, and I hate having to explain that the translation I'm using in Pages, Numbers, or Google Docs may be a bit off because I don't actually have Office.

So I took a chance on a copy from one of these sellers…expecting the serial/registration number download process described above. But since I paid less than $10, should I really be surprised that I was sent a link to an installation package downloadable from a Google Drive account? It included instructions to bypass Mac OS's 3rd party software protections. I understand why this step is necessary, but there is no way I'm taking that risk with fishy software coming from who knows where.

What to do from here? At this point, I'll probaby just eat the purchase since it was so inexpensive. I feel stupid enough as it is. Technically, I do have a subscription to the browser-based apps through an organization I volunteer for, but not the desktop apps. Since my use is so minimal, I guess I'll just stick with that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 08:20AM by datbeme.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 251
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018