advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Rant: Buying mens underwear should NOT be this hard!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 13, 2020 03:09PM
Look, I fully understand that womens underwear (so I'm told) is a giant hassle to get "right". Sizes, builds, make, model, color... all that jazz.

But since when did MEN'S underwear become such a giant hassle?

So, on my "to-do" list for yesterday was "buy underwear"... time to replace some that didn't survive a too-hot dryer run (the elastic is no longer elastic).

So, I happened to be at Target... I figure, they have a menswear section, right? Well, shirts, pants, sweats, jackets, even shorts (in January....).. THOSE I can get. The racks labeled "T-shirts" and "Underwear" is empty. Not "understocked". Empty. Nada. Zip. Zero.

OK, fine... so I head for my next stop. Walmart for kitchen "flour sack" tea towels. They're great for straining cheese, etc. A tighter weave than cheesecloth (especially the garbage they sell now)... THEY have underwear, right?

Well, yeah, they DO... in a locked case with the t-shirts and socks. Yup. Have to buzz for an employee. OK, no problem... short wait, nice lady shows up, and I point to what I need. One package of el-cheapo tighty-whiteys, please.

But that's not the end of it. They have to WALK ME ALL THE WAY THROUGH CHECK OUT!
Yeah, apparently, theft of mens underwear and socks is so out of control that they not only lock 'em up, but put a security guard on you until you're to the actual checker (or self checkout, under the watchful eye of the duty sergeant...).

Seriously? And these folks WONDER why people just order stuff on Amazon?

OK... we now return you to your day...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 03:09PM by Paul F..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Rant: Buying mens underwear should NOT be this hard!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 13, 2020 03:16PM
You know you are shopping in the ‘hood when they secure the undies. Geesh...
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 13, 2020 03:19PM
Paul F.

But that's not the end of it. They have to WALK ME ALL THE WAY THROUGH CHECK OUT!
Yeah, apparently, theft of mens underwear and socks is so out of control that they not only lock 'em up, but put a security guard on you until you're to the actual checker (or self checkout, under the watchful eye of the duty sergeant...).

Still, changing their underwear may be step up for that crowd.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 13, 2020 03:27PM
cbelt3
You know you are shopping in the ‘hood when they secure the undies. Geesh...

I was at the local Dollar Store a few months ago getting some household items and a few things for my elderly Pop. He needed some underwear so I grabbed a pack from the display just a few feet from the checkout stand. The clerk grabbed the underwear and proceeded to remove the security tag. I was somewhat astonished and asked her if people were stealing underwear. She said it was one of the most shoplifted items in the store.

I'm still somewhat astonished by that statement.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 13, 2020 03:30PM
Mens underwear is one of the most stolen items, particularly with higher end brands. It might have something to do with the fact that it can easily be concealed and the unit price tends to be high.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 13, 2020 03:34PM
Yeah.... my workplace is in an area that went downhill FAST in this century... inner ring suburb that white flighted.... There used to be a mall. It is now an Amazon "fulfillment center". There used to be a discount store near the factory. They went out of business, and a KMart moved in. We knew it was going to be bad when EVERY SINGLE SHELF was locked up. Staff walked around with keys and had to unlock everything. They lasted a year.

It's a sign of a local economy that is helpless...
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 13, 2020 03:36PM
Paul F.
Well, yeah, they DO... in a locked case with the t-shirts and socks. Yup. Have to buzz for an employee. OK, no problem... short wait, nice lady shows up, and I point to what I need. One package of el-cheapo tighty-whiteys, please.

Seriously? And these folks WONDER why people just order stuff on Amazon?

It has nothing to do with underwear, it just seems that Walmart has recently gone totally insane, making it virtually impossible to shop for certain products there.

[forums.macresource.com]

"Look, I fully understand that womens underwear (so I'm told) is a giant hassle to get "right". Sizes, builds, make, model, color... all that jazz."

I think VIN number is required too.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: January 13, 2020 03:37PM
I can answer at least part of why they keep the underwear under lock & key: Nowadays people will open at least one bag of every type of underwear available and pull out a pair to, one assumes, feel them and to make sure that what the manufacturer calls a "large" really is large, then they'll put that bag back on the shelf, usually without even putting the pair they inspected back into it. Adding insult to injury, they won't buy the bag they opened to inspect and will instead grab a fresh, unopened bag of the same ones to take to the checkout. As you might imagine, this leads to HUGE losses because opened bags of underwear can't be sold as "new" if they are even sold at all.

The worst and most frustrating experience of my entire retail career was working in the section that included socks and underwear. If you ever want to lose all respect for your fellow man and see first-hand what sort of selfish, entitled, inconsiderate, sociopathic animals we humans really are, just work in that area of a store for a week... Two days would plant the seed, but a whole week would allow it to blossom into full flower.

Resist the Thought Police- George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not a "How To" guide.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 03:38PM by Thrift Store Scott.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 13, 2020 03:59PM
Hand lotion and dental floss are locked up in the WM near me.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: January 13, 2020 04:38PM
So you’re mad poor people are stealing necessities like underwear? You’d prefer they were ripping off jewelry? Interesting...

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.

- Peter Singer
Date: January 13, 2020 04:54PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
So you’re mad poor people are stealing necessities like underwear? You’d prefer they were ripping off jewelry? Interesting...

You didn't read my post, did you? The reason underwear are now kept under lock & key is mainly because people aren't stealing it, they're spoiling it. An opened pack of underwear can not be sold as "new", and therefore must be either heavily discounted to below cost to move or simply thrown away. Manufacturers generally won't give credit for damage to product packaging that occurs in-store.

Resist the Thought Police- George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not a "How To" guide.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 04:55PM by Thrift Store Scott.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 13, 2020 05:14PM
Thrift Store Scott
I can answer at least part of why they keep the underwear under lock & key: Nowadays people will open at least one bag of every type of underwear available and pull out a pair to, one assumes, feel them and to make sure that what the manufacturer calls a "large" really is large, then they'll put that bag back on the shelf, usually without even putting the pair they inspected back into it. Adding insult to injury, they won't buy the bag they opened to inspect and will instead grab a fresh, unopened bag of the same ones to take to the checkout.

ok, i will own up to checking items in this manner but i DO buy the one i opened if it passes muster.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 13, 2020 05:35PM
I just use hanes.com. They have so many discounts & quite often free shipping.
All 1st quality & accurate sizing.

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 13, 2020 05:47PM
.....go commando....saves money.......and let's the boys breathe.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 13, 2020 05:55PM
MrNoBody
I just use hanes.com. They have so many discounts & quite often free shipping.
All 1st quality & accurate sizing.

Now, THERE is a Deal Tip!
Gonna have to do that next time...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: SteveO
Date: January 13, 2020 06:42PM
I've noticed that sometimes Costco has "samples" out for packaged stuff like this these days - they'll attach one pair or shirt or whatever so the curious can paw at it. I agree, there must be serious losses due to this kind of theft. Amazing.
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 13, 2020 07:03PM
You can purchase pretty much anything at a used second hand thrift store for 1-2 dollars EXCEPT UNDERWEAR. It's a health issue. For underwear you have to buy new. Or steal it.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 13, 2020 08:03PM
Most comfortable stuff out there.

Very durable.

Buy a set of the black mesh/fly when it's on sale. (Several styles available. None a really bad choice, but mesh is great.)

They have gold box deals every month or two, going for around $24 for a 3-pack.

You're welcome.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 13, 2020 08:22PM
a lot of info here. I had assumed it would be brief.
Date: January 13, 2020 08:27PM
Sarcany

Very durable.

Buy a set of the black mesh/fly when it's on sale. (Several styles available. None a really bad choice, but mesh is great.)

You're welcome.

Interesting. The problem I've run into with synthetic/non-cotton underwear in the past, both on others as well as myself, is that if you sweat even a little bit you'll come down with a raging case of "stinky dinky". I imagine the mesh variety as opposed to the solid ones might mitigate that effect, but I'd want to test run a pair on a hot day first to be sure.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 13, 2020 08:28PM
Racer X
a lot of info here. I had assumed it would be brief.

Hard for some to be short.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Wags
Date: January 13, 2020 08:34PM
Thrift Store Scott
I can answer at least part of why they keep the underwear under lock & key: Nowadays people will open at least one bag of every type of underwear available and pull out a pair to, one assumes, feel them and to make sure that what the manufacturer calls a "large" really is large, then they'll put that bag back on the shelf, usually without even putting the pair they inspected back into it. Adding insult to injury, they won't buy the bag they opened to inspect and will instead grab a fresh, unopened bag of the same ones to take to the checkout. As you might imagine, this leads to HUGE losses because opened bags of underwear can't be sold as "new" if they are even sold at all.

The worst and most frustrating experience of my entire retail career was working in the section that included socks and underwear. If you ever want to lose all respect for your fellow man and see first-hand what sort of selfish, entitled, inconsiderate, sociopathic animals we humans really are, just work in that area of a store for a week... Two days would plant the seed, but a whole week would allow it to blossom into full flower.

This. And it is really just the tip of the iceberg. Fashion Industry Waste Statistics

Online clothing purchases are even worse.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 14, 2020 07:43AM
The Hanes site had V-neck shirt, six for $17.

If they're on the thick side, that's a good deal.

But they don't have tapered Ts, which are my favorite.

I'll check online more, but hanes.com looks promising.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 14, 2020 08:03AM
Thrift Store Scott
Sarcany

Very durable.

You're welcome.

Interesting. The problem I've run into with synthetic/non-cotton underwear in the past, both on others as well as myself, is that if you sweat even a little bit you'll come down with a raging case of "stinky dinky". I imagine the mesh variety as opposed to the solid ones might mitigate that effect, but I'd want to test run a pair on a hot day first to be sure.

No kidding. It's extremely hard to find any all cotton underwear (elastic band excepted) now. Costco has some that are close. Maybe I'll try online underwear ordering for the first time ever.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 14, 2020 09:25AM
I've started buying Gilden off Amazon. Nice heavy shirts that fit well. I can generally get a package of five for $15 (currently they are $18, but change every few days). These are often used for silkscreening, so they are well made.

[smile.amazon.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: January 14, 2020 09:46AM
ex officio for me ordered online
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 14, 2020 09:47AM
I've been traveling all across the country in my RV and, in the past few months, HAVE bought underwear at various Walmarts (Hanes Value pack V-Neck tee shirts & "tightey whities"). ALL of the Walmarts I've been in were "regular, old time stores" where these items did NOT need to be locked up. I HAVE seen cosmetic type items (referred to as HBA; Health & Beauty Aids) under lock and key. I remember reading decades ago that, even in hard financial times, HBA items always sold well. I believe our current mess is that "petty thieves" are allowed (and therefore emboldened and encouraged) to start with "petty crimes" which then escalates into more serious crimes. "We's poo so we's entitled to steal".

I worked for 50+ years and KNOW that, BECAUSE I worked, I've earned a decent retirement (but, still have to live in a responsible manner within my means). The last three jobs I worked were because I took (and did well) on three open competitive Civil Service jobs. In those jobs, I worked with numerous minorities who did exactly what I had done and therefore, enjoyed the same salary and benefits I had. What WAS disheartening, was watching the Civil Service System degenerate to the point where hiring standards for minorities ONLY were lowered so that they'd "qualify" to be hired. The current generation now must live with these unqualfied / under-qualified slackers who expect a regular paycheck even though they often do NOT do the job they were hired to do. old fogey smiley

Let the Bleeding Heart Libeal wailing begin.......... whine smiley
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 14, 2020 09:53AM
.....sniff......sniff......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 14, 2020 10:51AM
testcase
hiring standards for minorities ONLY were lowered so that they'd "qualify" to be hired. The current generation now must live with these unqualfied / under-qualified slackers who expect a regular paycheck even though they often do NOT do the job they were hired to do.

Well, that was a strange turn, old man.

Posted by: rz
Date: January 14, 2020 11:56AM
testcase
I've been traveling all across the country in my RV and, in the past few months, HAVE bought underwear at various Walmarts (Hanes Value pack V-Neck tee shirts & "tightey whities"). ALL of the Walmarts I've been in were "regular, old time stores" where these items did NOT need to be locked up. I HAVE seen cosmetic type items (referred to as HBA; Health & Beauty Aids) under lock and key. I remember reading decades ago that, even in hard financial times, HBA items always sold well. I believe our current mess is that "petty thieves" are allowed (and therefore emboldened and encouraged) to start with "petty crimes" which then escalates into more serious crimes. "We's poo so we's entitled to steal".

I worked for 50+ years and KNOW that, BECAUSE I worked, I've earned a decent retirement (but, still have to live in a responsible manner within my means). The last three jobs I worked were because I took (and did well) on three open competitive Civil Service jobs. In those jobs, I worked with numerous minorities who did exactly what I had done and therefore, enjoyed the same salary and benefits I had. What WAS disheartening, was watching the Civil Service System degenerate to the point where hiring standards for minorities ONLY were lowered so that they'd "qualify" to be hired. The current generation now must live with these unqualfied / under-qualified slackers who expect a regular paycheck even though they often do NOT do the job they were hired to do. old fogey smiley

Let the Bleeding Heart Libeal wailing begin.......... whine smiley

OK, racist boomer...
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 14, 2020 12:23PM
mattkime
testcase
hiring standards for minorities ONLY were lowered so that they'd "qualify" to be hired. The current generation now must live with these unqualfied / under-qualified slackers who expect a regular paycheck even though they often do NOT do the job they were hired to do.

Well, that was a strange turn, old man.

Getting sort of back on topic, seems like someone has their "Men's Underwear" in a bunch.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 14, 2020 01:13PM
Thrift Store Scott
Sarcany

Very durable.

You're welcome.

I originally started buying David Archy mesh for workouts/jogging, but they're so good that I've been using them for attrition-replacements with the intention of eventually making these the only kind in the drawer.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 14, 2020 01:45PM
Good going testcase. A forum classic.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 14, 2020 04:22PM

I don't know if that's sarcasm or not, but I don't give 'poor people' or anybody else a pass to steal.

Anything.

Shoplifting, aka stealing, larceny (generally petty), is a crime. It can and often does have significant impact on business.

Whether actually desperate or just believing themselves entitled, I don't excuse anybody for stealing. In some instances there's some room for compassion, but not excuses.

There seems to be a lot of sentiment that as long is it's not coming out of 'my' pocket, [other] people need to 'do something' about the plight of the homeless.

There's a lot of interesting stuff going on in my area with homeless shoplifting, squatters taking over a house, and the City Council threatening to take the home from the company who owns it under eminent domain so the squatters have some place to go. Those supporting the action don't own the property and would scream if it was happening to them.

'We all need to fix 'the problem' as long, and by we I mean you'.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: fauch
Date: January 19, 2020 10:40AM
Once I witnessed a brawl in the underwear aisle in Walmart, but I have never ever seen them locked up...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 288
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018