advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Could it be that power supply that is wrong with this mac mini server?
Posted by: hal
Date: January 13, 2020 04:14PM
I've had a 2011 server around that has been driving me crazy. I bought it several months ago, checked it out when it arrived and then put it on the shelf. MONTHS later, I go to set it up for sale. That means putting in 16GB, new drives and and a new OS install.

I do all that, install the OS, restart and then get the updater download going and something goes wrong. Video glitches, freezing, simply shut down and restart. I can't remember exactly because I took out components and rearranged it so many times and got several different kinds of messiness in the end.

After trying new RAM, pulling the SSD, reapplying some thermal stuff and still getting problems I gave up. Tossed it aside and decided to just sell it for parts. I had other work to do, so I did that for a week or two.

But now I'm staring at this server again - all other work is done.

I suddenly remember that I had recently ID'd a video cable problem in my work area. The cable had been replaced. maybe THAT was the problem (doubtful) so I set it up AGAIN and ran it for a while and walked away from the table.

From across the room, I heard a loud clicking sound coming from the computer and see that the video was wrecked and I forced it to shut down.

That clicking noise.... I hadn't heard that before. It wasn't a hard drive and it wasn't the fan. What else could make a clicking noise?

Power supply??? Don't know, but I have an extra here and replaced it. An hour later the youtube video is still playing on the machine. Maybe that was it... (looks over shoulder and sees that the video is still playing...)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Could it be that power supply that is wrong with this mac mini server?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 13, 2020 05:12PM
It wouldn't be my top choice to fix the problem, but I gave up wondering how some things were possible and just roll with it now. If it doesn't glitch for a few days, call it good.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: January 13, 2020 07:31PM
nope - after a couple of hours, it restarted, but did the 3beep routine instead of booting. THAT'S IT - I'M DONE!

what a confounding machine...
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 13, 2020 07:53PM
hal
nope - after a couple of hours, it restarted, but did the 3beep routine instead of booting. THAT'S IT - I'M DONE!

3 beeps is bad RAM.

And since the 2011 shares RAM with the GPU, that would explain video glitches.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 13, 2020 08:23PM
hal

what a confounding machine...

Try using only one slot and one stick of ram. Then alternate the stick to the other slot. Then try another stick in each slot one at a time. Could be bad ram or a bad slot...or both. To be save find some known good ram and swap that in and do the same test.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: January 13, 2020 08:26PM
I've tried a variety of ram - one slot at a time too.

thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 240
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018