advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MBP mid 2014 battery . . .
Posted by: mspace
Date: January 13, 2020 09:18PM
I need to replace said battery. Fine with doing it myself.

Any recommendations on brand, etc., or what to look for?

Also, do I really need to re-glue in the new one? If it is pre-glued, should I use aluminum foil to cover some of it to make the next replacement easier?

Thanks!
(edited for added questions, always thought of after send)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 09:21PM by mspace.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MBP mid 2014 battery . . .
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 13, 2020 09:29PM
For the glued in batteries...Apple or OWC.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 13, 2020 09:38PM
I second that. OWC may be a wee bit cheaper, and may have a wee bit more capacity FWIW.
Posted by: mspace
Date: January 13, 2020 10:14PM
OK, thanks.

But I saw someone suggesting that you could cover some of the glue on the new one with aluminum foil so that it's easier to remove the next time.

Yea or Nay?

And OWC is selling NewerTech batteries. Good?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 10:16PM by mspace.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 13, 2020 10:42PM
Yeah, I think OWC bought the NewerTech name FWIW. For the early external batteries on the bottom, far less of an issue if one goes bad early.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 13, 2020 10:51PM
No aluminum foil!!

Apple's battery service -- which replaces the whole topcase on a Retina MBP -- costs $129-$199.
[support.apple.com]

A replacement battery for a Retina MBP starts at $90 bucks with some kits topping $150. The surgery involves dealing with nasty solvents and dangerous soft-pack lithium batteries.

I'm pretty clever and handy with tools. Excepting a vintage Mac, I'd still opt for the Apple repair. It's a good value, considering all that they replace along with the battery, and it's less of a fire-hazard than the do-it-yourself option.

Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 14, 2020 01:51AM
Sarcany
No aluminum foil!!

Apple's battery service -- which replaces the whole topcase on a Retina MBP -- costs $129-$199.
[support.apple.com]

A replacement battery for a Retina MBP starts at $90 bucks with some kits topping $150. The surgery involves dealing with nasty solvents and dangerous soft-pack lithium batteries.

I'm pretty clever and handy with tools. Excepting a vintage Mac, I'd still opt for the Apple repair. It's a good value, considering all that they replace along with the battery, and it's less of a fire-hazard than the do-it-yourself option.

^^^THIS^^^

Listen to Sarcany.

I recently went through this with a late 2013 MBPr with a bulging battery. I was fully prepared to buy a battery bundle from iFixit or OWC for $80-100 and give it a whack. In fact, based on some posts here, I was going to use the "prop" method which skipped removing many of the internals in favor of propping up the computer so the adhesive remover would flow downstream so as not to risk contact with the motherboard or any other important connections.

But first I decided to go to the genius bar to get a quote. If they were going to charge me $600 (or even $300) I probably would have taken my chances, but for $199 they would not only replace the battery (with no risk to me of fire, explosion or ruining my computer) but the entire top case including keyboard and trackpad. Apparently, they don't even mess with the adhesive remover. They replace everything the battery is glued to. With a 5 year old computer, it would be foolish not to let Apple do all that for $199. They had to send it out, so I had to be without it for a few days, but they quoted me a week to 10 days, and it was back in 4.
Posted by: roshi
Date: January 14, 2020 07:08AM
When sending your laptop in to have the battery replaced, is it advisable to erase it first?

After making multiple clones and time machine backups, of course.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 14, 2020 07:32AM
roshi
When sending your laptop in to have the battery replaced, is it advisable to erase it first?

After making multiple clones and time machine backups, of course.

good question. In old days I used to erase, but I am not sure if that is still necessary on these new Macs with T2 chip. I know sorcery hates this chip, apparently it encrypts data so well that even Apple cannot recover it if the drive goes bad or (I presume) if you lose the password. T2 is really nasty, IIRC.

So maybe with T2 erasing the drive is no longer necessary but I could not tell for sure.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 14, 2020 01:15PM
Always back up. Apple habitually erases drives. Ideally, make multiple clones.

Erase if you want to, before bringing it in.

...T2 encryption only protects you if you enable FileVault.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 218
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018