advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mac Mini 2012 wake from sleep mystery
Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 13, 2020 11:00PM
Hi everyone, trying to diagnose my mom's new (used) Mac Mini 2012 running Mojave.

Diagnosing things from a distance (I'm no longer at home) is always a challenge ...

From what I can understand, when the machine has idled for awhile, she comes to it and discovers that it's unresponsive and cannot be used unless she does a hard power cycle. (Not clear to me if she is finding it with a blank screen or a screen saver, see below.)

I'd set Energy Saver in Sys Preferences to never sleep the hard drive, to never sleep the display, and for the Screen Saver to activate after an hour. So, this is a mystery as to how the machine is apparently sleeping and then refusing to wake from sleep.

I'm having her do NVRAM and PMU resets, any other ideas?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mac Mini 2012 wake from sleep mystery
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 13, 2020 11:10PM
Seen some glitches in Mojave where a Mac gets stuck on the screensaver and doesn't seem to see input from the mouse or keyboard. I've even screenshared with a Mac in that state and found that it didn't recognize the clicks sent remotely.

Fix is the same each time: Press the power button on the Mac briefly to sleep it, then press again to wake it.

Re: Mac Mini 2012 wake from sleep mystery
Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 13, 2020 11:18PM
Sarcany
Seen some glitches in Mojave where a Mac gets stuck on the screensaver and doesn't seem to see input from the mouse or keyboard. I've even screenshared with a Mac in that state and found that it didn't recognize the clicks sent remotely.

Fix is the same each time: Press the power button on the Mac briefly to sleep it, then press again to wake it.

Interesting. I'm not clear yet on whether this is indeed what she's been doing, or a true hard power cycle.

Also, in the time since I posted, I just did some quick Googling and found this:

[discussions.apple.com]

... even though she's running Mojave and not 10.8.x, I wonder if that could be the issue.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 255
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018