advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best USB3 hub/solution to connect 3 HDD's (including TM) to iMac?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 14, 2020 01:33PM
Not enough USB ports on ye olde 2013 iMac. There are three USB HDD's, TM, historical data backup, and VM storage currently associated w/ Mavs internal drive. New USB Sierra SSD will hopefully be put into service soon, and be velcroed to back of iMac, but will not have VM's associated w/ it. Plenty of room on TM, so was planning on just adding new Sierra drive to existing TM, unless that's a Bozo no-no, y/n?

Historical data backup drive does have final TM from prior white intel iMac, along w/ bunch of accumulated data. There's an existing, slightly powered USB3 hub already in the mix, and the iMac has wired KB and mouse, HP inkjet printer, cord for iPad/iPhone syncing/swapping, and another couple of USB goodies (SD card reader, etc.). The three big USB HDD's are all wall wart powered 3.5" drives. There are no more available USB ports, so at a minimum, a larger USB hub is needed to replace the existing one, or perhaps another small USB hub could be used to supplement the existing one?

Looking for best practices/procedures to accomplish aggregating all the USB peripherals.... I'm guessing there ways to spread the bandwidth around to maximize efficiency? That's why I was thinking adding a second small USB hub might be better than going w/ a single bigger one. Maybe use a TB port in some fashion? One of the two TB ports has a FW adapter for occasional access to additional old data (going back to PM7300), but if absolutely needed, that second TB port could be reclaimed.

So what's the best way to organize all the USB stuff ? ? ?
The new Sierra USB SSD will take one USB port, assume KB/mouse another, so gotta divide the remaining two USB ports (and maybe TB port) to most efficiently connect everything else.
Thanks, and that's why I prefer having a tower (or few) to use personally. cool smiley
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best USB3 hub/solution to connect 3 HDD's (including TM) to iMac?
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 14, 2020 01:44PM
Got mine for $20. Keyboard, iPhone and portable Drive -- no problems. Does the keyboard have extra ports to plug the mouse into?

Any chance of consolidation on those drives? Or can the printer hookup via ethernet or wireless?

TM drive doesnt care about whatever else is on the drive... is its own self contained folder.

[www.amazon.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: January 14, 2020 02:10PM
I forgot about that, thanks jdc. Actually, the KB they're using doesn't have have extra ports; friend's wife has 'em using some PC KB that she likes, along w/ a basic Logitech mouse. Printer does have wireless, but USB needed for some config stuff, seems to be OK from hub, and it's a low bandwidth item, so not worried about it, it'll go anywhere w/o interfering. Most worried about higher bandwidth goodies.

As noted, could probably consolidate TB/FW drive onto the USB drives, but don't really want to spend the time going thru everything.... it's only hooked up once or twice a year to get at something from the past. W/o editing, it could be spread across the free space on the archive and VM drives to free up the second TB port.
==
Date: January 14, 2020 02:17PM
Wierd... we have 2 wireless printers, one old, one new -- and niether needed any USB cable to config. Plug in, turn on, connect to wifi... done.

Bummer about the KB/Mouse -- thats 2 ports. Even a "wireless" mouse uses a port unless you go BT.

----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2020 02:20PM by jdc.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 14, 2020 02:59PM
A lot of Apple keyboards (I have a few) won't even power a lot of USB thumb drives.

Great for input devices such as trackballs, mice, etc.

That hub jdc mentioned only works on 2017 iMacs and above, or something, so check the fitment.

I'd get that a try if it fit my 2015 27", but it doesn't.

Depending on what you're plugging in, I'd probably want to go with a powered hub.

Some spinners demand more juice than others; SSDs should be less of a problem, if any at all.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: January 14, 2020 03:09PM
Huh.

I checked the Sabrent website and there's now no restriction of fitment other than 'slim-body' iMac.

It does say the current draw can't exceed more than 900Ma at 5V, and it's only for data, not charging.

It uses only one port on the back of the iMac, so it's the combined draw of all for ports.

I might grab one myself.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: January 14, 2020 04:28PM
No problem on my iMac -- 2014 vintage -- snapped right in. 2013 is same design, so figure it will work as well.

Like I mentioned -- kb & iPhone cables plugged in all the time -- use it occasionally for a portable spinner, powers it without any issue. But rarely for anything else. I dont use flash drives.

----

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 14, 2020 05:41PM
I have a preference for powered USB hubs, when that fits the workspace.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: January 14, 2020 06:54PM
jdc
Got mine for $20. Keyboard, iPhone and portable Drive -- no problems. Does the keyboard have extra ports to plug the mouse into?

Any chance of consolidation on those drives? Or can the printer hookup via ethernet or wireless?

TM drive doesnt care about whatever else is on the drive... is its own self contained folder.

[www.amazon.com]

That hub doesn't work for me and my iMac, as I sometimes slide my MS Natural keyboard under, and it gets in the way. Got a Sabrent standalone 4-port hub, but needed to get a Sabrent power supply to make it work for occasional portable USB drive. All ports full; wish I'd gotten more.

/Mr Lynn
Date: January 14, 2020 09:10PM
mrlynn
That hub doesn't work for me and my iMac, as I sometimes slide my MS Natural keyboard under, and it gets in the way. Got a Sabrent standalone 4-port hub, but needed to get a Sabrent power supply to make it work for occasional portable USB drive. All ports full; wish I'd gotten more.

/Mr Lynn

Maybe sell it to Buzz. =)

----

Date: January 14, 2020 10:14PM
Maybe sell it to Buzz. =)

Dang, my friend woulda gone for it, but he ordered from AMZ about 3 and a half hours ago...
(I'da posted a bit sooner, but was dinnering while the talking heads were debating on TV)
==
Date: January 15, 2020 09:49AM
All ports full; wish I'd gotten more.

I always try to buy more ports than I need, and I always end up needing more.

I recently saw a 14-port hub somewhere and might give that a shot if I can find it again, and it has decent reviews.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 15, 2020 12:14PM
I tried a snap-on Sabrent (which was the model for her 2013 iMac) and really wanted it to work, but it caused wake/sleep issues with the Mac. I've used other Sabrent products without problems; only this one for whatever reason was a rabble rouser. smiling smiley

It's spelled " y'all "

Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 15, 2020 05:33PM
[www.imore.com]

[amzn.com]

[kck.st]

kind of like the ones with built in tilt, but they seem rather expensive for what they are.

oops, read it wrong. sorry.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 05:34PM by Fritz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 276
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018