advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
If you miss your exit DON'T DO THIS
Posted by: hal
Date: January 14, 2020 01:37PM
Yeah, it's worse than you are probably guessing...

video: [twitter.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If you miss your exit DON'T DO THIS
Posted by: numbered
Date: January 14, 2020 01:45PM
It is worse, and yikes. The worst I have witnessed was a lady in a Lexus (cannot resist including that) who went halfway down an offramp off a Bay Area freeway...and then backed up back onto the freeway to proceed. People bailing left and right just like the video, just no trucks so people could avoid her.

I hope the person in that video got a lifetime ban.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 14, 2020 01:47PM
oldy but a goody.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 14, 2020 01:52PM
Why angle into the next lane and then STOP??

Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 14, 2020 01:53PM
The red truck ALMOST saved it.

Posted by: vision63
Date: January 14, 2020 01:54PM
Daaang! It took the red truck a long time to react. That's crazy.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 14, 2020 02:39PM
I think the red truck was attempting to slow down and realized it wasn't going to. could be wrong though.

as for the blue truck - looked like a double overcorrection to me. Was he trying to fishtail?

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 14, 2020 02:53PM
If I was in one of those vehicles that nearly missed the car, I wouldn't have.

I would have tagged- it just a little.

The number of people who've collied while trying to avoid some who caused the collision but drove off without a care would surprise most people.

Sometimes it's just an excuse for the guy who crashed. But sometimes, it's some maroon who while reckless, negligent, or Driving While Unconscious.

Also swerving to avoid a collision isn't all that high on my evasive maneuver repertoire.

I do not want to involve an innocent party in a collision caused by some fool.

So that white car would get dinged.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: raz
Date: January 14, 2020 03:19PM
A buddy of mine was driving the PA Turnpike some decades ago. He crested a hill and ran into a stopped car on the downslope. Cops and insurance said he was at fault for not being able to stop in time.

If that is still the case, the trucks would have been responsible for the damage to the idiot.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 14, 2020 03:24PM
RAMd®d
So that white car would get dinged.

And that would be the proper choice.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 14, 2020 03:31PM
The only thing that saved that driver's life was driving away. Otherwise, the truckers would have beat him to death.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: January 14, 2020 03:36PM
If that is still the case, the trucks would have been responsible for the damage to the idiot.

You can't make blanket assumptions based on an unrelated data point without knowing all the facts.

Your buddy may have been the victim of a cop with little AI knowledge or experience.

Or he may have not given you the full, accurate story and have been going too fast for conditions and therefore been unable to avoid a collision.

But the video clearly shows that if any of those vehicles that had the choice of colliding with each other or that white car, they would have not been culpable.

You don't have an obligation to hit one car to avoid hitting another.

If one has the opportunity of steer clear of any collision, they're legally as well as morally obligated to do so, in most states anyway.

In the circumstances shown I would have tagged her, and she would have been at fault, not me. She would have told her insurance agent it was my fault. One look at that video and the agent says 'You're cancelled'.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: January 14, 2020 04:18PM
A lot of assumptions here.

From the perspective of the red truck driver: the idiot white car could have stopped in order not to hit a pedestrian. If you were in the red truck, you *might* have known, depending on visibility, that there wasn't someone on the freeway in front of the stupid driver. Maybe. So tagging the white car is forgivable if no ped but if the red driver couldn't see, then you avoid the white car if at all possible.

The big rig probably had no way to see if there was a ped on the freeway in front of the white car. You have to do whatever the hell you can to stop and not hit that car.

I'd like to hear Speedy's take on this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2020 04:20PM by Lew Zealand.
Date: January 14, 2020 04:34PM
You have to do whatever the hell you can to stop and not hit that car.

That does not include colliding with another vehicle instead.

Why the car stopped is not anything any other driver needs to consider.

The idea is to avoid a collision, but not to endanger someone else in doing so.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: January 14, 2020 05:21PM
I guess it was implicit that if you're avoiding hitting a car that you'd also want to avoid the other traffic on the freeway but, yeah I didn't specify that at all. It could be that the truck drivers knew they had space in that situation.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 14, 2020 06:40PM
I almost lost four dear friends when one gave “ take this exit “ direction too late, and the idiot driving went for it and rolled the small car like a toddler with a matchbox car. Fortunately only one broken collar bone..
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 14, 2020 06:41PM
The following video of the bus TURNING AROUND on the highway is much better!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 14, 2020 08:49PM
Lew Zealand

From the perspective of the red truck driver: the idiot white car could have stopped in order not to hit a pedestrian. If you were in the red truck, you *might* have known, depending on visibility, that there wasn't someone on the freeway in front of the stupid driver. Maybe. So tagging the white car is forgivable if no ped but if the red driver couldn't see, then you avoid the white car if at all possible.

The big rig probably had no way to see if there was a ped on the freeway in front of the white car. You have to do whatever the hell you can to stop and not hit that car.

You instinctively react to try to not collide. But I prefer self preservation so I think I would do what I could to keep my truck upright including hitting the guardrails. I never outdrove my ability to stop to avoid a collision, always leaving room, even for a stopped car.

But I did avoid killing an old woman who did a u-turn through a concrete median barrier (Jersey barrier) on the interstate, missing her by a hair in my empty flatbed rig, by doing a quick lane change onto the left shoulder as she drove into my lane. When they are coming at you going the wrong way, there is not much to do but react by steering to miss them rather than braking.

I hope they caught that driver in the white car.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 15, 2020 02:13AM
Speedy
Lew Zealand

You instinctively react to try to not collide. But I prefer self preservation so I think I would do what I could to keep my truck upright including hitting the guardrails. I never outdrove my ability to stop to avoid a collision, always leaving room, even for a stopped car.

But I did avoid killing an old woman who did a u-turn through a concrete median barrier (Jersey barrier) on the interstate, missing her by a hair in my empty flatbed rig, by doing a quick lane change onto the left shoulder as she drove into my lane. When they are coming at you going the wrong way, there is not much to do but react by steering to miss them rather than braking.

I hope they caught that driver in the white car.

Me too.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: January 15, 2020 10:32AM
And the @#$%& drove on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 203
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020