advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: House window question-repair
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 14, 2020 02:35PM
My double panes have instead of putty to seal..a plastic piece to imitate putty. After 30+ years these plastic pieces are brittle , full of cracks and in short need replacing.

Can you buy just those plastic pieces and replace or do I have to get Window people involved?

Is it called glazing bead?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2020 02:44PM by samintx.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: House window question-repair
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 14, 2020 03:25PM
Are they name brand windows?

Posted by: Cary
Date: January 14, 2020 04:54PM
To echo Mattkime - If they are name brand - Andersen, Marvin, Pella, for example, spare parts are available, although may e expensive.

If they are generic vinyl windows, and the double pane window inserts are still intact (not leaking), you can remove the old caulking and replace with new 100% silicone caulking.
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 14, 2020 07:30PM
They are name brand but can’t check right now. Also I started doing regular putty but that is Hugh work for me on the whole house.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: January 14, 2020 07:41PM
samintx
They are name brand but can’t check right now. Also I started doing regular putty but that is Hugh work for me on the whole house.

I'm not sure using regular putty is a good idea as the double panes may expand or contract with changes in temperature which would pop regular putty right off the frames.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 14, 2020 11:40PM
It would help to know the brand and have a few pictures showing of how the window was made. If it is a brand that still has a presence in your area, they might be willing to come out and fix it for cheaper than a generic window installer.

If the double pane section is still sealed, it could be all you need is a bead of silicone caulk run around the outside of the window.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 284
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018