Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mac sales down in 2019
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 14, 2020 09:07PM
[9to5mac.com]

Makes sense, not a lot of compelling machines in the first 9 months of 2019.

We purchased one Mac in 2019, a 'refurb' 12" Macbook from our sponsor to replace a 10 year old- laptop.

Otherwise, keeping our stable of pre-USBC machines and one quad core 13"MBP for business stuff.

At work, Macs continue to be deprecated. Only die-hards use them. Two life-long Apple users I know gave into the pressure and went Windows, though I think they are as much iPad as anything.

Will be interesting to see whether the 16" MBPR (and the presumably downstream 14" MBPR and MBA made using the Magic Keyboard) and the Mac Pro move the needle for 2020.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2020 09:07PM by sekker.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mac sales down in 2019
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 14, 2020 09:15PM
I didn't help. I'm hoping to skip the butterfly era entirely and jump to a 16" MBP in a couple years.
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 14, 2020 09:15PM
Let's see............

Overpriced hardware that no longer "JUST WORKS".....

and ANYBODY wonders why sales are down??????? dunno smiley

Waaaaaay too many MORE AFFORDABLE options to be had these days.

I would upgrade from my 15.6" Chromebook in a heartbeat if a 17" Chromebook were available. boink smiley
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 14, 2020 09:19PM
On one hand, it surprises me that apple would be down when the rest of the industry is up. On the other I have a 10 year old imac as my personal machine. Its due for an upgrade but the treadmill is slowing down considerably.

Posted by: jdc
Date: January 14, 2020 09:21PM
Im assuming PC sales were up because of Windows 7 support ending?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 14, 2020 09:23PM
testcase
Waaaaaay too many MORE AFFORDABLE options to be had these days.

I would upgrade from my 15.6" Chromebook in a heartbeat if a 17" Chromebook were available. boink smiley

Anything a Chromebook can do, and iPad could probably do better. The big question is what can a Mac Do that an iPad cannot? That circle is getting smaller and smaller.

My MacBook might be my last Mac. I think Apple will make a full line of 10, 12, and 14 iPads and 11,13, and 15 iPads Pro soon.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 14, 2020 09:32PM
Beleaguered.

Best sell your stock while it's still worth something.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: January 14, 2020 09:59PM
RAMd®d
Beleaguered.

Best sell your stock while it's still worth something.

Nothing about stock here, Macs are a small part of Apple's bottom line.

I think Macs are going to become a status/mindshare for Apple.
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 14, 2020 10:21PM
They'll make up the profits in monitor stand sales.
Date: January 14, 2020 10:34PM
GGD
They'll make up the profits in monitor stand sales.

smiley-laughing001

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 14, 2020 10:47PM
Their profitability first really took off when they brought iPod Socks to the world. Everything else has been gravy.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 14, 2020 11:44PM
Apple computers might be turning into a halo product, but they only moved into 4th place a couple of years ago so it's not much to worry about unless the iMac gets ignored and no updates for four years like the mini.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: January 15, 2020 12:32AM
Truth be told my older Macs just keep on chugging. I’m working on a 2010 machine now.with El Capitan. I think it’s still supported by security updates and such(?).
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 15, 2020 01:07AM
....machines too expensive......and with the keyboard issues......have hung on to my older machine for longer......haven't upgrade for almost 6-8 years now......don't think I will in the near future....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 15, 2020 02:32AM
NewtonMP2100
....machines too expensive......and with the keyboard issues......have hung on to my older machine for longer......haven't upgrade for almost 6-8 years now......don't think I will in the near future....

The 16-inch MBP is a delight.

Posted by: vision63
Date: January 15, 2020 03:04AM
Sarcany
NewtonMP2100

Typing on that keyboard is a particular delight.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: January 15, 2020 06:29AM
Sarcany
NewtonMP2100

Is it upgradeable? If not, it's not a delight.

Not that my 2015 iMac is easy to upgrade (RAM is, though); nor my 2015 MBA. My 2010 MBP is, though, and I did. Tempted to replace the failed optical drive on the MBP, but bought an external, and that works.

The 2009 iMac I gave to my wife still runs fine (with an SSD).

We have a Dell Win7 desktop in the house, still; grandkids use it when their Virginia cousins come, for Minecraft sessions.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: January 15, 2020 08:01AM
I made up for at least one of you, as I bought a new MBAir and a new mini in 2019.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 15, 2020 08:40AM
There's also the aftermarket, uh, market. Our sponsor here has a great New & Refurb'd Mac Lot: [eshop.macsales.com]

I've pointed more than a handful of people there. Nice customization options.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: January 15, 2020 12:31PM
Carnos Jax
Truth be told my older Macs just keep on chugging. I’m working on a 2010 machine now.with El Capitan. I think it’s still supported by security updates and such(?).

El Cap (10.11.x) hasn't received security updates for a year and a half, July 9, 2018 was the last update. Apple only supports the current OS and 2 previous, 10.15.x, 10.14.6, and 10.13.6 currently.
Date: January 15, 2020 12:47PM
mrlynn
Sarcany

/Mr Lynn

old fogey smiley

Sorry, but it just doesnt work that way anymore... cause it doesnt *need* to.

----

Posted by: mrlynn
Date: January 15, 2020 01:07PM
Lew Zealand
Carnos Jax

El Cap (10.11.x) hasn't received security updates for a year and a half, July 9, 2018 was the last update. Apple only supports the current OS and 2 previous, 10.15.x, 10.14.6, and 10.13.6 currently.

Not 10.12.6? That's what I'm running on our two iMacs and my MBP ('09 iMac and '10 MBP won't run anything later, I think). Seems to me I got updates in 2019—but time flies, so I could be mistaken.

/Mr Lynn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 01:10PM by mrlynn.
Date: January 15, 2020 01:22PM
jdc
mrlynn
Sarcany

/Mr Lynn

old fogey smiley

Yes, now externally extendable with the TB3 ports. A new hardware paradigm - that goes back all the way to the Duo.
Posted by: numbered
Date: January 15, 2020 01:43PM
mr lynn
Not 10.12.6? That's what I'm running on our two iMacs and my MBP ('09 iMac and '10 MBP won't run anything later, I think). Seems to me I got updates in 2019—but time flies, so I could be mistaken.

What Lew Zealand said. You are right that there was an update. The last Sierra 10.12 update was just before they launched Catalina. So now, Sierra will see no more security updates.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 15, 2020 02:39PM
Rolando
The big question is what can a Mac Do that an iPad cannot? That circle is getting smaller and smaller.

You've got to be kidding. I get that iPads are great for consuming information, but for creating content and doing any kind of analytical work a laptop (either mac or PC...I prefer mac) is critical. The multitasking on iOS though improved, still sucks bigtime.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: January 15, 2020 09:51PM
davester
Rolando
The big question is what can a Mac Do that an iPad cannot? That circle is getting smaller and smaller.

You've got to be kidding. I get that iPads are great for consuming information, but for creating content and doing any kind of analytical work a laptop (either mac or PC...I prefer mac) is critical. The multitasking on iOS though improved, still sucks bigtime.

Exactly my point. BTW, there are many iPad only (with a keyboard) journalists nowadays. What kind of analytical work?
I crunch numbers in excel all day, on two screens. That's a pretty small slice of computing left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 10:04PM by Rolando.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 16, 2020 10:16AM
sekker
jdc
mrlynn
Sarcany

/Mr Lynn

old fogey smiley

Yes, now externally extendable with the TB3 ports. A new hardware paradigm - that goes back all the way to the Duo.

How much RAM can be added via the TB3 ports?

It is what it is.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 16, 2020 11:52AM
N-OS X-tasy!
sekker
jdc
mrlynn
Sarcany

/Mr Lynn

old fogey smiley

How much PCI RAM do you have to spare?

Date: January 16, 2020 01:00PM
N-OS X-tasy!

How much do most *normal* users need?

8? 16? 32?

After 32 GB, which only a few macs can take anyway... its $$$, even 3rd party.

In the olden days 30 MB/s HDDs sucked as a "ram disk". Now wer have 3000 MB/s flash drives. So different.

----

Date: January 16, 2020 03:24PM
One can add : flash storage and GPU externally via TB3.

And flash is SO fast now that it CAN be functional as RAM in some situations.

I'm not wanting Apple to make terminally expanded machines, but TB3 DOES offer some cool features.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 16, 2020 05:48PM
.....reverse flash is just as fast.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 197
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020