advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
An interesting smartlock seen at CES: Level Lock
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 15, 2020 07:35AM

This lock (BT only, apparently) is designed to be installed inside existing deadbolts, replacing the knob-coupling mechanism and dead bolt proper with a motor controlled bolt. The result is a completely self-contained smartlock within one's existing lock. The manufacturer claims it installs 'in minutes'.

It's powered by a CR123 battery that's supposed to provide a year's operation.

There's no integral keypad, a big plus in my book, nor a separate option at this point. I imagine there may be one in the future. Using one's key, the lock functions without power, a 'Phone, or a Watch as if unaltered.

Given the bolt houses the battery, its resistance dynamic entry may be a concern. But few single deadbolts do really well anyway because the strikes are usually secured with short screws that don't reach deep into the door frame.

The diameter of the barrel of the bolt looks to be a little larger than a traditional deadbolt, so I wonder if some drilling might be required. The plate around the face of the bolt may not fit some installations and might require some mortise work as well.

None of that matters to the August lock, which was my front runner choice. It would require little work as my lockset and deadbolt and connected by a fancy raised escutcheon/plate thing and I like its look.

No pricing as yet, and my guess is it will be pricey but it may work better for me than an August lock.

[level.co]

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: An interesting smartlock seen at CES: Level Lock
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 15, 2020 09:40AM
Interesting idea. It looks like the bolt is no larger than a normal bolt, it's just round. I'm curious about battery life and how easy it is to change the battery.

My August lock seems to go thru batteries and it doesn't like rechargeable ones. With the space required for 4 AA batteries, I'm not sure why they didn't use a 9v instead.

The use of short screws in strike plates is an easy fix. I replaced all the strike plate and hinge screws with 3 inch long screws.

Edit: Watched the video. Battery resides in the bolt and looks easy to replace. They show HomeKit control, which IMO is a huge benefit. August implementation of control outside the home requires another module to connect to wi-fi and pressing the wi-fi icon in the app.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 09:43AM by macphanatic.
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 15, 2020 10:35AM
I'll wait for the Lock Picking Lawyer review.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 15, 2020 11:40AM
macphanatic
Battery resides in the bolt and looks easy to replace.

That's pretty smart. It's certainly better than having to find a screwdriver and pulling the lock apart, which certainly isn't hard, but I'm sure many would find it annoying.

Acer
I'll wait for the Lock Picking Lawyer review.

Why wait? Do they do lock hacking reviews also? The ability to pick this lock will be the same as whatever you install it into (i.e. Kwikset, Schlage, Baldwin, etc). smiling smiley
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 15, 2020 12:50PM
CR123 battery for a years operation? Only if your door doesn't change dimensions between winter and summer, and get a little bindy, where the lock will scrape on the strike plate, and use up more power to lock (if it has the torque at all to do it).

Love the concept, though...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: January 15, 2020 01:09PM
Why wait? Do they do lock hacking reviews also? The ability to pick this lock will be the same as whatever you install it into (i.e. Kwikset, Schlage, Baldwin, etc).

To be fair, even the lock hasn't changed, a review of the motor mechanism, BT, etc., is probably prudent.

What I like about this lock:

is it has no keypad
claimed battery life is a year
a key is a small, convenient backup to a dead battery.
HomeKit compatible
Siri can control it
looks like it's could be a direct swap and fit for my current deadbolt

August has updated their lock.

It has the August Connect module built into the new lock, which is 40% smaller than the previous model. It used two CR123 batteries, which might have longer life over four AAs. And for a high drain such like the lock mechanism which gets frequent use, a 9V battery probably doesn't have the capacity of however the AAs are wired.

In reading more of the Level Lock site, it's $199 if you 'reserve' now, to ship later in January. It'll be $249 at the end of January.

I'd like to save $50, but I'll probably wait to see some independent reviews.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: jdc
Date: January 15, 2020 01:21PM
Im sure there is a big market for this with apartment/condo/no garage peeps...

But for us suburbia folks -- I dont think I have opened my front door in months -- we park in the garage and use the interior garage door.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 15, 2020 01:24PM
RAMd®d
Why wait? Do they do lock hacking reviews also? The ability to pick this lock will be the same as whatever you install it into (i.e. Kwikset, Schlage, Baldwin, etc).

To be fair, even the lock hasn't changed, a review of the motor mechanism, BT, etc., is probably prudent.

What I like about this lock:

is it has no keypad
claimed battery life is a year
a key is a small, convenient backup to a dead battery.
HomeKit compatible
Siri can control it
looks like it's could be a direct swap and fit for my current deadbolt

August has updated their lock.

It has the August Connect module built into the new lock, which is 40% smaller than the previous model. It used two CR123 batteries, which might have longer life over four AAs. And for a high drain such like the lock mechanism which gets frequent use, a 9V battery probably doesn't have the capacity of however the AAs are wired.

In reading more of the Level Lock site, it's $199 if you 'reserve' now, to ship later in January. It'll be $249 at the end of January.

I'd like to save $50, but I'll probably wait to see some independent reviews.

You reserve with only your email address. Don't see a downside to reserving.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 15, 2020 02:05PM
"Open the pod bay door, Hal"

"I'm sorry Davester, I can't do that".

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: January 15, 2020 05:07PM
CR123 battery for a years operation? Only if your door doesn't change dimensions between winter and summer, and get a little bindy, where the lock will scrape on the strike plate, and use up more power to lock (if it has the torque at all to do it).

Yes, and that set of radials will last 30,000mi but not if they're run at 25psi.

Only a fool would install any of these deadbolt smartlocks on a door that doesn't allow a bolt to work well, or where binding would be a problem.

CR123 or four AAs, it's the same. If there's binding the lock may not work at all, let alone shorten battery life.

The sites and instructions of these locks advice the customer to insure they have a smooth working deadbolt.

My door's deadbolt works flawlessly year round.

So yes, maybe a year on a CR123 battery.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 173
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020