advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
wisdom of the crowd?!.....when you make lasagna....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 15, 2020 12:09PM
......you don't need to precook the lasagna noodles......just soak them in hot tap water while you cook the other ingredients, about 30 minutes [ no need to buy 'no boil' lasagna noodles - you can use regular lasagna noodles ].......

....same goes for baked ziti or any baked pasta dish......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 12:18PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: wisdom of the crowd?!.....when you make lasagna....
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 15, 2020 12:15PM
Do you add extra liquid?
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 15, 2020 12:30PM
Save water. Just soak it in bath water. Give quick rinse afterwards.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 15, 2020 01:26PM
So the main difference between pasta dishes is the shape of the noodles. You could make lasagna with angel hair by layering it, or spaghetti with lasagna noodles. With the right spices and cheese, it would taste the same

Yeah, I know it isn't the same but still - why does Lasagna cost $15 a slice at a restaurant while baked spaghetti is $4.99?

It is like Taco Bell - the same ingredients on different shaped tortillas for different prices. A brilliant marketing scheme.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: PeterW
Date: January 15, 2020 01:39PM
A whole lot more time and effort goes into the creation of a lasagna than in a plate of spaghetti.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 15, 2020 01:48PM
I still prefer the no-bake noodles as much easier to handle.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 15, 2020 03:15PM
tastes starchy when you don't cook the pasta first imo
Posted by: davester
Date: January 15, 2020 04:40PM
Ombligo
So the main difference between pasta dishes is the shape of the noodles. You could make lasagna with angel hair by layering it, or spaghetti with lasagna noodles. With the right spices and cheese, it would taste the same

Yeah, I know it isn't the same but still - why does Lasagna cost $15 a slice at a restaurant while baked spaghetti is $4.99?

Lasagna is way different from spaghetti. It uses various cheeses, sauces and herbs to create a textured deliciousness that is not present in spaghetti. Also, if you're going to a restaurant that sells spaghetti for $4.99, you are unlikely to get something worthy of the name "spaghetti".

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: January 15, 2020 04:49PM
Now for the big question: Do you prefer your lasagna to be constructed from the bottom sauce, noodles, cheese mixture, noodles, sauce,,, so that the cheese mixture and the sauce stay (mostly) separate until they're in your mouth as do I, or do you prefer sauce, noodles, cheese mixture, sauce, noodles,,, where the cheese mixture and the sauce combine and dilute each other's flavor during assembly?

Resist the Thought Police- George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not a "How To" guide.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 15, 2020 06:46PM
Gluten, Dairy, Acid, oh MY!
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: January 15, 2020 07:54PM
3d
Gluten, Dairy, Acid, oh MY!

Done properly, bell peppers and onions too.

Resist the Thought Police- George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not a "How To" guide.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 15, 2020 08:42PM
Ombligo

It is like Taco Bell - the same ingredients on different shaped tortillas for different prices. A brilliant marketing scheme.

No. To use your analogy, you are comparing a taco to an enchilada or chile relleno. Two completely different dishes that use similar ingredients.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 08:44PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 15, 2020 08:51PM
My wife has a recipe that you don't even soak the noodles. It taste great too.

Grateful11
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: January 15, 2020 10:40PM
I never soak the noodles. Can be a bit al dente if I didn't buy the oven-ready, but no one's ever complained.

I always make the bottom layer noodles, but after that I lose track and end up with all the mozzarella on top.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 16, 2020 09:44AM
Sauce mingles with cheese--better flavor that way.

Thrift Store Scott
Now for the big question: Do you prefer your lasagna to be constructed from the bottom sauce, noodles, cheese mixture, noodles, sauce,,, so that the cheese mixture and the sauce stay (mostly) separate until they're in your mouth as do I, or do you prefer sauce, noodles, cheese mixture, sauce, noodles,,, where the cheese mixture and the sauce combine and dilute each other's flavor during assembly?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: January 16, 2020 09:14PM
NewtonMP2100
......you don't need to precook the lasagna noodles......just soak them in hot tap water while you cook the other ingredients, about 30 minutes [ no need to buy 'no boil' lasagna noodles - you can use regular lasagna noodles ].......

....same goes for baked ziti or any baked pasta dish......

smiley-shocked003 My sainted Italian grandmother (who made her lasagna macaroni by hand and dried them on the beds in her apartment in Brooklyn) is turning in her grave.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 303
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018