advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Youtube: Lots of views, but "0 Comments?"
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 15, 2020 07:57PM
A popular Youtuber I follow is showing 0 Comments lately for me. If I leave a comment I see mine only.

I just emailed him and it's the same on his end. Anyone know what's going on?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Youtube: Lots of views, but "0 Comments?"
Posted by: hal
Date: January 15, 2020 08:03PM
dunno - I just checked a video that I commented on a couple of days ago and it looks normal to me.

Most likely they are working on something that has this side-effect and is only seen by people connecting via THAT particular server. Can you connect from a different IP addressed device?
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: January 15, 2020 08:53PM
I seem to remember someone saying that part of YouTube's latest "new deal" would be that on videos which are flagged or demonetized, comments won't be visible. I may, however, be completely mistaken about that.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 15, 2020 09:08PM
He sent me a note saying he sees what he needs to do but that it's cumbersome. Dunno what that is, but it's not mine to fix.

I think it may be related to accidentally switching incoming comments to a holding tank for review prior to publication but since I'm not a publisher there with any views (let alone comments) to speak of, I can't say for sure.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 15, 2020 09:27PM
Google is really screwing with just about every aspect of their streaming platform. Their "new" user console was completely borked for a month, they have juggled how streams are recommended, what can flag a stream for demonetization, etc.

Now would be a really, REALLY good time for a competitor to break out.

Faecesbook is even worse. They have essentially killed off several channels by supposedly outright lying to creators/publishers about how many users/views to expect and how much money they can make. FunnyOrDie just barely dragged themselves out of the grave before the cryptkeeper dragged the stone over to seal the grave.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 16, 2020 02:12AM
If I posted something on YouTube I'd disable comments completely.

But then I doubt I'd be trying to monetize it and so couldn't care an iota about idiots commenting.

I think the Tube ought to allow a publisher to remove comments they don't like.

Sure, someone can then cherry pick what to keep to make them look good, but I really tire quickly of all the mean-spirited, antagonistic crap I have to wade through to find some information that the publisher might have omitted.

Then again, on occasion some comments are so clever and funny (without be jerks) that I have to laugh.

LLOL, actually.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: January 16, 2020 07:09AM
I don't post on YouTube, but occasionally look for something. I used to see comments, but no longer. Do I have to subscribe or something?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 16, 2020 02:30PM
A youtube poster can kill any comment they want, but the really busy posters don't have time to wade through 1000s of posts.

I post videos of my backpacking trips - I don't often get 1000s of views, but sometimes a discussion kicks up. I don't see any reason to block the discussion. Not all videos are people posting whacked out political opinion (although there is LOTS of that)

mrlynn - if you never see comments, there's something peculiar about your setup or you got to posters that choose to block comments. Maybe you use an iphone app that requires an extra click to see the discussion. When comments are disabled, there is a note stating such.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: January 16, 2020 09:07PM
I have a video on YouTube that now has over 144,000 views and 23 comments. The video is not monetized. When I visit the video from a different YouTube account that I use, I can still see all the comments there. Also when I view other videos I have no issues viewing the comments on each video, if they have them. Not sure why some are having issues.

JoeM
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: January 16, 2020 10:16PM
hal
mrlynn - if you never see comments, there's something peculiar about your setup or you got to posters that choose to block comments. Maybe you use an iphone app that requires an extra click to see the discussion. When comments are disabled, there is a note stating such.

I use Safari on the Mac.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 17, 2020 02:55AM
I use Safari on the Mac.

As do I, Sierra era Safari, and I see comments and the occasional Comments Disabled or whatever.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020