Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Which car history is best? Carfax?
Posted by: Buck
Date: January 20, 2020 10:46PM
Carfax, AutoCheck, VINsomething?
If I do a vin search, about 10 companies come up. Carfax is $39.95 -- are they the best?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Which car history is best? Carfax?
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 20, 2020 11:17PM
When we were in an accident with our car, which needed thousands of $ work... wasnt reported to carfax. No one was required to. Not me. Not the body shop... no one.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 21, 2020 01:02AM
What jdc said.
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 21, 2020 01:21AM
The best thing to do is get a PPI (pre purchase inspection) from dealer or trusted mechanic.
As mentioned, Carfax et al, only list what is reported.
Posted by: clay
Date: January 21, 2020 07:52AM
if you decide to buy a carfax, I used to be able to find them for about $5/each on eBay. Usually it was an employee of a dealer selling them for cheap. Always worked well, and saved a bunch of $$ when car shopping.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 21, 2020 08:31AM
I cheat and use the Carfax "My Carfax" app. Scan the VIN, poof, there is the maintenance history. Not in as much detail as the Carfax actual report, and won't identify accidents as such. I used it on my mom's car and it just showed generic 'Service' when I know she had lots of body work done to fix things she broke running into random stuff.

Have I mentioned how happy we are that she is not driving any more ?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 21, 2020 09:16AM
CarFax is probably the best of the bunch, as long as you take it with a grain of salt. One of the biggest issues we have found with CarFax with dealer purchases is late reporting. They take in a car with accident damage, fix it, sell it and then report the damage to CarFax. You may not even notice that has happened until you later go to sell or trade your vehicle and then someone sees that report.

If you can, it's best to also do a pre-purchase inspection with a trusted mechanic. Note the trusted part. Any mechanic you find near a group of used car dealers is likely "on the take" and will take your money and still not find things.

At some point you realize that educating yourself on identifying basic mechanical issues, and recognizing signs of accident damage and repairs is your best bet. I also take time to review dealer ratings on Yelp, etc before shopping.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2020 09:20AM by Markintosh.
Posted by: pinion
Date: January 21, 2020 09:52AM
Markintosh
At some point you realize that educating yourself on identifying basic mechanical issues, and recognizing signs of accident damage and repairs is your best bet. I also take time to review dealer ratings on Yelp, etc before shopping.

There was an excellent reddit thread about what to look for. I'm blocked from reddit at the moment so I will just share a google search. One of the top few links should be it. Worth the read if you are looking for a car.

[www.google.com]

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 21, 2020 02:36PM
jdc
When we were in an accident with our car, which needed thousands of $ work... wasnt reported to carfax. No one was required to. Not me. Not the body shop... no one.

Don’t they offer a guarantee? They used to. What if your brother in law buys your car, will car fax give him $5k for not having said accident on records?

Probably not.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 21, 2020 02:46PM
space-time
Don’t they offer a guarantee? They used to. What if your brother in law buys your car, will car fax give him $5k for not having said accident on records?

CarFax
Plus, the exclusive CARFAX Buyback Guarantee reduces the risk involved in buying a used car. If the CARFAX Report fails to include a DMV-issued branded title (such as salvage, fire or flood damage, and odometer problems), CARFAX may buy the vehicle back for the full purchase price.*

The guarantee only applies to the title (i.e. a clean title vs a salvage title). So accidents that don't result in a totaled vehicle don't apply to the guarantee.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 21, 2020 02:49PM
But then you would see if the title is clean or not, it should say so right there on the title, right?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 21, 2020 06:50PM
space-time
But then you would see if the title is clean or not, it should say so right there on the title, right?

In California, an accident can happen that causes significant damage, but does not result in a Salvage title. I believe it only gets the Salvage title if an insurance company declares it a total loss and then a third party rebuilds it.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 305
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018