advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Time Machine swapperoo? Possible???
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 21, 2020 03:15PM
About to add new external Sierra SSD to iMac running Mavs internally. There are already a couple of USB HDD's backed up to the TM volume associated w/ the Mavs internal boot drive....

If/when I switch to the Sierra SSD as the boot drive, what happens to TM? Ideally, I'd just like to switch it over to the new Sierra SSD, and hope that TM recognizes the existing Mavs drive, and the two other USB drives that TM already has in its portfolio, y/n? I'm hoping that TM won't create a whole new, essentially redundant set of backups of everything because of the boot drive swap, y/n?

What are TM best practices for something like this?
Normally, I'd archive/retire the Mavs TM, and put a new HDD into TM service, but there's gonna be a few/several months of switching between Mavs and Sierra. What sayeth ye as the most efficient way to keep on TM'ing? BTW, I'm trying to keep the fleet of USB/external drives at a manageable number.... the Sierra SSD when velcro'ed to the back of the iMac, will be the fourth USB drive, complimenting an additional TB to FW HDD also attached to the iMac.
Thanks.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Time Machine swapperoo? Possible???
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 21, 2020 03:17PM

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 78
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020