advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MS Edge browser for Mac, anyone using?
Posted by: reezekeys
Date: January 22, 2020 09:39AM
Safari has been such a dog on my system lately (late-2013 MBP, OSX 10.14.6) that for grins I downloaded this browser which I guess is now officially released for MacOS. In my experience so far, It's noticeably faster than Safari at loading pages, by a healthy enough margin that I'm tempted to make this my default browser, especially since it doesn't seem to display the crappy behavior I've been seeing on Safari.

One negative for me is that it doesn't seem like Command-clicking on a link can open it in a new tab and make that tab current. You have to Command+shift-click to do that. Chrome and Safari let you use a simple Command-click to open a link in a new tab and move to that tab at the same time. I guess I can get used to this but it doesn't seem like the kind of feature that would be hard to implement. Maybe I missed this setting somewhere?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MS Edge browser for Mac, anyone using?
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 22, 2020 10:22AM
Interesting. It never occurred to me to try Edge on the Mac, in no small part because I've always found that it's complete garbage in Windows.
Date: January 22, 2020 10:41AM
Well tbh I never even heard of Edge - so this is my introduction. Seems pretty fast. I have not gone too deep, just looking at my few assorted web sites I like to go to. Safari was raising my blood pressure, Edge is – so far, at least – a big improvement.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 22, 2020 10:41AM
....MS just launched it a few days ago on the mac.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 22, 2020 11:34AM
Edge is just internet exploder with a new face. Bleah.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 22, 2020 12:19PM
Not me.

I found Safari, ever all, to perform splendidly, as long as it's current.

As I lag on OS updates, I punish Safari, and have had only two areas where it comes up a little short.

The first is on any site that requires Flash. I started avoiding those a little be for it stopped shipping in the OS. I just didn't go to a site that used it, and none of the sites I needed used it. So I never bothered with Chrome.

Because Safari tends to get outdated as I stay behind OS updates, it balks on some of the very up to date sites. I've been using Firefox for those sites, and then go back to Safari.

I dislike using Firefox because it's appearance reminds me of the early (and maybe current?) crude, cartoonish, cluttered, and unfinished look of iCab. It performs well enough, but not enough to convert me.

To be fair to Safari, it's performance it the result of my desire not to upgrade from time to time. It works most of the time, and very well.

The only real fault I find with Safari is probably the same with most browsers– they eat RAM like crazy.

I heard a little about Edge on a couple of podcasts and nothing struck me as making it worth taking it for a spin.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: rz
Date: January 22, 2020 12:20PM
As Will says above, it is complete garbage on Windows.

I use Firefox on my Mac at home. Work has implemented some security stuff that makes Firefox unusable. They recommend Chrome, which is what I use at work. No way in hell I'm using Edge on a Mac.
Date: January 22, 2020 12:35PM
I'm not here to cheerlead for Edge, I know nothing of its history or how well or not it works on Windows. The issues I'm having with Safari prompted me to try it, and that's all I'm doing right now. My about box says I'm using Safari Version 13.0.3 (14608.3.10.10.1). As I said in my first post, I'm on Mojave.

In Safari I get web pages that never load fully, then beachball; sometimes I can close the tab, sometimes I have to force-quit. I also see "this webpage is using significant memory" messages. On the United.com site (and a few others I forget), my password has stopped autofilling. ZERO of these issues occur when I'm on this new Edge browser (also, Chrome is free of them). I have no extensions installed.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 22, 2020 01:29PM
abandonded Safari long ago for FF -- a lot more useful extensions for my workflow.

On the beta channel, V73.0b5 -- rock solid.

I still use safari and chrome as alternates -- all of my video watching is done in chrome since it doenst need flash (hulu, NF< youtube, etc) and safari when I want to do a few quick things as to not add extra tabs to FF.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 22, 2020 01:55PM
Posted by: hal
Date: January 22, 2020 02:26PM
wow - lots of closed minds here. Am I the only one that remembers when IE was THE BEST browser for mac? That was a long time ago.

I just now downloaded it and gave it a spin - it looks really nice. I'll use it only for problem sites for now, but there is nothing wrong with having another tool in the tool belt.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 22, 2020 03:19PM
hal
wow - lots of closed minds here. Am I the only one that remembers when IE was THE BEST browser for mac? That was a long time ago.

iE 5 was nice.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 22, 2020 03:25PM
reezekeys
The issues I'm having with Safari…Version 13.0.3…I get web pages that never load fully, then beachball; sometimes I can close the tab, sometimes I have to force-quit. I also see "this webpage is using significant memory" messages…I have no extensions installed.

Perhaps you should—I suggest a good content blocker. Beyond that, it may be time to clear your history and delete your Safari prefs file.
Posted by: decay
Date: January 22, 2020 04:35PM
Just use Chromium grinning smiley

---
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 22, 2020 04:37PM
....is this on the.....Edge......of Glory......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: August West
Date: January 22, 2020 08:32PM
decay
Just use Chromium grinning smiley

Yup

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 22, 2020 10:09PM
My understanding is that Edge is Chrome with a M$ skin. Being a version of Chrome, it can use a lot of the same extensions.

People used to use IE because to many companies were too lazy to update websites originally built between 2001 and 2009. I wonder if they did anything specifically to maintain that compatibility.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 199
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020