advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
More good news for fans of cold hard CASH
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 23, 2020 12:36PM

From a cup of coffee to a car ride, mobile devices or plastic cards are becoming the preferred, and sometimes exclusive, methods of payment in many parts of the world.

But being forced to pay that way, rather than having the option of using cash, may soon be illegal in New York City.

The City Council is set to approve legislation on Thursday that would prohibit stores, restaurants and other retail outlets from refusing to accept hard currency.

The measure puts New York at the forefront of a national movement to rein in so-called cashless businesses: New Jersey, Philadelphia and San Francisco all approved such bans last year, and several other cities are considering similar moves. Massachusetts has had a law requiring retailers to accept cash and credit since 1978.

[www.nytimes.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: More good news for fans of cold hard CASH
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 23, 2020 12:56PM
No offense, but when I go to Costco, there are always plenty of folks paying with large numbers of $100 bills.

Every once in a while, after seeing a couple with kids peel off hundreds, I'll get a chuckle from the cashier by saying 'Funny, they don't look like crack dealers'. I'm impressed by the number of nice untraceable cash businesses in NYC.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 23, 2020 01:37PM
Im the opposite -- I want EVERYWHERE to take apple pay.

If I could *never* use a credit card or cash anywhere forever that would be just fine. blech to both.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 23, 2020 01:40PM
jdc

If I could *never* use a credit card or cash anywhere forever that would be just fine. blech to both.

This. Far past time for gas pumps to get on the system as well.

One thing I'm really over, though, are stores that launch their own system -- WalmartPay, KrogerPay. Screw you; use one of the major systems (Apple, Android, or Google) and @#$%& with asking me to give your company access to my checking account.

It's spelled " y'all "

Posted by: raz
Date: January 23, 2020 02:10PM
And, yet, the lack of privacy that credit card transactions entail is not always a good thing. Nor is the additional burden imposed on the less fortunate who already pay (relatively) exorbitant fees for any banking interactions.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 23, 2020 02:14PM
Steve G.
No offense, but when I go to Costco, there are always plenty of folks paying with large numbers of $100 bills.

Every once in a while, after seeing a couple with kids peel off hundreds, I'll get a chuckle from the cashier by saying 'Funny, they don't look like crack dealers'. I'm impressed by the number of nice untraceable cash businesses in NYC.

And many immigrants have their own "banking" system, similarly cash based.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 23, 2020 02:28PM
raz
And, yet, the lack of privacy that credit card transactions entail is not always a good thing. Nor is the additional burden imposed on the less fortunate who already pay (relatively) exorbitant fees for any banking interactions.

Im not sure what kind of "privacy" you specifically mean -- but the random number apple pay creates for me every time I make a transaction makes me happy.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 23, 2020 02:40PM
I'm a fan of choice.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 23, 2020 02:51PM
Could use a poll: Does your drug dealer take Apple Pay?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: rz
Date: January 23, 2020 02:56PM
I guess I wasn't aware of how many places no longer accepted cash. I only know of one place locally that is cashless. It's a ramen restaurant. Nobody takes your order... you go up to an iPad to order your meal, and pay with a credit card. Someone will come over to help if there's a problem ordering, but otherwise it's just two cooks and one person who puts the orders together and calls out your name when it's ready.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 23, 2020 03:03PM
I’m glad they are doing this. I’d like them to go further and incentivize stores to give discounts for using cash. I always use cash when making smaller purchases.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 23, 2020 03:07PM

So do I.

But I don't care if everywhere takes cash as well, and if one has a business that deals with the general public, unwashed or not, they should take cash.

I can see now going cashless has benefits for business owners, but I'd say the majority of consumers still use cash for smaller purchases.

Safeway realized that using Apple Pay means they can't track the user, so they require a phone number as well as a PIN. I my have to another store, but Safeway is almost convenient.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: January 23, 2020 04:04PM

So how does this person buy a cup of coffee?

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 23, 2020 04:15PM
Does your doctor or dentist's office take cash?

How about a brokerage, ever try to walk in with a wad of cash and say I want to buy some Berkshire Hathaway stock?

I can't find policy on their website, but from discussion searches, it seems that Apple Retail Stores do not accept cash.

[discussions.apple.com]

I found this on their site, but it seems to be for the Online Store.

[www.apple.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 23, 2020 04:16PM
....helps to stay 'off the grid'......and they can't track your hookers & booze expenditures.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 23, 2020 04:22PM
GGD

Have you ever had a doctor or dentist's office charge of only $1.99?
Posted by: neophyte
Date: January 23, 2020 04:44PM
freeradical
GGD

Have you ever had a doctor or dentist's office charge of only $1.99?

My GP takes my sawbuck co-pay, gives me a receipt too. Probably goes into his petty cash box.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 23, 2020 04:48PM
What is this "cash" you speak of?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: hal
Date: January 23, 2020 04:53PM
GGD

yes - dentist takes 5% of for cash payment

when Kaiser asks for money, I give them cash (sometimes)
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 23, 2020 09:43PM
RAMd®d

Safeway realized that using Apple Pay means they can't track the user, so they require a phone number as well as a PIN. I my have to another store, but Safeway is almost convenient.

I don't get that at Safeway. I only have to put in my phone number for discounts. I only have to use a PIN if I use my debit card via Apple pay.

So if I go to Safeway and just grab one item where a discount isn't involved, I can go to self check out, scan one item, click the button that says Pay now then Credit card, then use Apple pay quickly and be on my way.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 23, 2020 10:31PM
.......only hard cash......no 'limp' biscuit......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: blooz
Date: January 23, 2020 10:33PM
I might feel different if i were 34, but I'm 74. I'll go with the cash. A trust sounds good, because even with the tax hit I will have more money than I can spend, even if i do live 20 more years so there will be something for the kids. And if i blow it all buying a Caribbean island, hey, at least they'll have an island.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: January 24, 2020 12:27AM
As a former juggling teacher, many of my friends are street performers. The disuse of cash is a problem for folks who pass the hat after their shows.

I’m not current on how buskers are responding; I hear there are some apps.

Todd’s ten-gallon keyboard
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 24, 2020 08:28AM
I don't get that at Safeway. I only have to put in my phone number for discounts. I only have to use a PIN if I use my debit card via Apple pay.

So if I go to Safeway and just grab one item where a discount isn't involved, I can go to self check out, scan one item, click the button that says Pay now then Credit card, then use Apple pay quickly and be on my way.

Hm.

I think I stopped using Apple Pay at Safeway before I got the Apple Card, which is now my primary Apple Pay card. I used my debit card as my daily driver until I got the Apple Card. I've got three other credit cards, but they're rarely used.

So I should weigh the 2% Apple Pay discount against the Safeway Club Card discount. My Club card doesn't have a phone number connected to it, so I assumed that's why one is now requested with Apple Pay. It's a 'house card' that I've never signed up for.

Using a debit card in the reader, with the the Safeway card doesn't get the prompt. They're tracking me via the debit card number.

I suppose a new one with a phony phone number could be used.

Thank you for the info. I'm going to check that out.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 24, 2020 09:00AM
My Safeway Club Card has a barcode on the back and you can just hand it to the cashier to scan, or if using self checkout scan it yourself. I always scan it as the very first item so that the discounts show as each item is being rung up.

I don't use Apple Pay or have an Apple Card, but always pay with a Visa credit card and scan my Club Card barcode at Safeway and I'm never asked for a phone number.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 24, 2020 06:10PM
I haven't seen my physical Safeway card in about 15 years or so, I just always use my phone number that no longer belongs to me.

I know a household of ski bums. For all of those things, they all use the phone number (420) 420-6969.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 232
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018