advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Does no one use USB?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 24, 2020 11:02AM
I was looking at our sponsor's Mercury Elite Pro Dock. I like the idea of combining the dock I have on my desk with a TM backup that I also have on my desk. One nice neat little package. The problem is there are only 2 USB ports. The dock I have now has 5. And they are all plugged in. Granted, one is for charging my Apple keyboard so it's not plugged in all the time. But it DOES use a USB port. It just seems weird that they make a dock that then requires ANOTHER dock to be connected to expand its USB capabilities. Or is it just me?

Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 24, 2020 11:17AM
Maybe you need a dock for your docks

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Does no one use USB?
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 24, 2020 11:19AM
Id say thats more of a "baby" dock or a dock thats trying to do more than everything, so has to compromise in other ways.

If you want a dock with a ton of USB ports, lots of other options, including OWCs own Tbolt 3 dock [eshop.macsales.com]

EDIT: I didnt answer you question... no *no one* uses USB A anymore. ;) I use 3 ports, but will be 2 as soon as my new BT keyboard gets here.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2020 11:23AM by jdc.
Date: January 24, 2020 11:34AM
jdc
Id say thats more of a "baby" dock or a dock thats trying to do more than everything, so has to compromise in other ways.

If you want a dock with a ton of USB ports, lots of other options, including OWCs own Tbolt 3 dock [eshop.macsales.com]

EDIT: I didnt answer you question... no *no one* uses USB A anymore. ;) I use 3 ports, but will be 2 as soon as my new BT keyboard gets here.

I have the earlier version of that dock. It works. Just looking to declutter.

Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 24, 2020 11:34AM
That's really more of a hard drive enclosure that happens to do some extra stuff. You probably want the dock jdc linked to.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 24, 2020 11:40AM
Gareth
That's really more of a hard drive enclosure that happens to do some extra stuff.

This, pretty much. I have it, and it's great -- replaced an old Guardian Maximus from back when (I just transferred the HDDs from one to the other).

I will say I wish it had twice as many ports on it (both USB 3 and Thunderbolt 3) but it works for my setup. And I always thing there should be more ports and an additional port on the front.

As far as type of port, I've more or less committed to buying only USB3.1/TB3 (or newer) capable devices hereon out.

I do also have a USB hub attached under desk that input devices (keyboard, mouse, scanner) run through instead of this.

It's spelled " y'all "

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 24, 2020 11:42AM
.....wonder if this is because some guys.....have a lady in every.....port.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 24, 2020 12:27PM
mattkime
Maybe you need a dock for your docks

What’s up, Dock?
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 24, 2020 12:48PM
bazookaman

maybe less USB devices =)

I didnt look, but doesnt OWC have a "mini stack" or something like that with multiple ports? Small form factor.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 24, 2020 02:27PM
I do old fogey smiley

cMP -
USB2: KB, TB, 3x Label Printers, & USB Scale
USB3: BT dongle, TM SATA-3 Dock, & iPhone/iPad

What I haven't used in ages is FireWire!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 24, 2020 03:46PM
jdc
bazookaman

maybe less USB devices =)

I didnt look, but doesnt OWC have a "mini stack" or something like that with multiple ports? Small form factor.

You're thinking of the miniStack MAX, which, alas, is long gone from OWC's sale pages. Agreed, always loved it, both as a concept and in practice. My wish list for its evolution included changing to a drawer-load optical, and front-facing USB3 ports (at the time).

It's spelled " y'all "

Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: January 24, 2020 04:50PM
I still use USB... and Firewire too for that matter! My Time machine drives are in an old FW 800 Enclosure that is still chugging away...

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Date: January 25, 2020 08:06AM
I really don't feel like I have a LOT of USB devices. Nothing I'd call extravagant. Well, maybe one. But I have a mouse. A scanner. A TM backup. And a wide format scanner. To me, that's not a whole lot. Plus I need the extra port to charge my Apple keyboard. But if I had some other wireless keyboard, that would use a port. And if I had a wired keyboard, that would use a port. So it's not a crazy amount of devices IMHO.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 252
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018