advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
replacing the SuperDrive in an ancient iMac G4
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 24, 2020 03:20PM
What would you do for options here? My drive has been dead for the better part of a year and I haven't got around to replacing it. Why would I even contemplate such a job? I use it to rip CDs to my music library, and the iLamp screen works perfectly for my particular setup on a rack with my other stereo equipment. Plus, I like to keep stuff working for as long as possible:-) and this is going on 20 years old in a year or so.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: replacing the SuperDrive in an ancient iMac G4
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 24, 2020 03:29PM
[www.ifixit.com]

Doesn't look like a terribly hard job and it's probably a relatively standard 5.25" drive (might be limited by the length of the unit). I'd throw in whatever is cheap and fits.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: January 24, 2020 03:38PM
Choices are limited if you want to buy new.... I would go with something like this [www.newegg.com]

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 24, 2020 03:41PM
.....might be easier/cheaper just to buy an external USB one [ if that works ].......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: January 24, 2020 03:41PM
The iLamp uses a standard full height IDE drive.... all you need to do is take the front piece off of the tray to clear the external door... they just snap off.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 24, 2020 03:50PM
Gareth
[www.ifixit.com]

Doesn't look like a terribly hard job and it's probably a relatively standard 5.25" drive (might be limited by the length of the unit). I'd throw in whatever is cheap and fits.

That actually looks like fun. Would love to try out that swap.

It's spelled " y'all "

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 24, 2020 03:50PM
can I use a drive with front panel controls in place? do those snap off somehow to use internally in the iMac?
Date: January 24, 2020 04:32PM
Yes you can use one with controls/buttons on the lower half of the front of the drive. It will have no affect on the installation or use of the drive.

Aloha, Ken

Posted by: PeterW
Date: January 24, 2020 04:35PM
What you need to remove is the front lip of the tray - it slides up and off easily.
Date: January 24, 2020 04:44PM
And.... if you don't already have one of these SSD upgrades from our fine sponsor I highly recommend you get one! [eshop.macsales.com]

Aloha, Ken

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: January 24, 2020 04:46PM
Harbourmaster
And.... if you don't already have one of these SSD upgrades from our fine sponsor I highly recommend you get one! [eshop.macsales.com]

Double emphasis on this. I used a 1.2 GHz G4 Cube with a SATA-IDE adapted SSD for a while and it was a reasonable computer for day to day use.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 24, 2020 06:41PM
I've given Harbourmaster and Racer X lifetime supplies of bare, and FW400 SuperDrives... maybe PM 'em and see if any remain. I *think* I might still have a Plextor one in our storage locker. Not sure when I'll get there to check on it, or if it's buried deep enough that I'll need help digging it out, or if it already went to H'master, but if you're not in a major hurry it's yours for shipping if/when I find it.

==
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 24, 2020 06:53PM
Lew Zealand
Harbourmaster

Double emphasis on this. I used a 1.2 GHz G4 Cube with a SATA-IDE adapted SSD for a while and it was a reasonable computer for day to day use.

any details about the SATA-IDE adapted SSD? Thanks
Date: January 24, 2020 08:36PM
FWIW 99% of the stuff Buzz sent over here is looooong gone!

The little SSD works just as it should, and makes the machine both quicker and quieter.

What more can I tell you??

Aloha, Ken

Posted by: p8712
Date: January 24, 2020 08:59PM
space-time
Lew Zealand
Harbourmaster

any details about the SATA-IDE adapted SSD? Thanks

I just did this a few weeks afo in the cube - just a standard SATA to PATA adapter and kingston 120 gb SSD. Cube sees it as a regular old 120g drive - no issues. Avg. speed 55 mb/sec. Not bad for ATA66.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 24, 2020 09:57PM
FWIW 99% of the stuff Buzz sent over here is looooong gone!

THAT's a lot of PATA SuperDrives. cool smiley

I just realized that I do have a PATA slot load SuperDrive MBP pull, but no clue whether it'll work in an iMac. I'd use a FW optical if I still had an iLamp.... only had an original 800MHz 15" for awhile.... then have dreamed of the larger, faster ones ever since.

Bad experiences w/ G5 iMacs, then Intel iMacs eventually won me back.
==
Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 24, 2020 11:43PM
I'm sure I have a working PATA Superdrive... as you all know, I have basically everything anyway ... [forums.macresource.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 25, 2020 12:47AM
....what about PATA......thai....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 25, 2020 12:57AM
PeterB
I'm sure I have a working PATA Superdrive... as you all know, I have basically everything anyway ... [forums.macresource.com]

The one thing you have that I would want would cost too much to ship from there to MA.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: January 25, 2020 07:23AM
NewtonMP2100
.....might be easier/cheaper just to buy an external USB one [ if that works ].......

I did this for my 2008 tower.

The Cube however got a replacement.

Somethings ya gotta listen to that fuzzy logic in your head and heart.

Staunton, Virginia
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 267
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018