advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
First Alert Z-Wave Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm - Which Hub???
Posted by: spacescape
Date: January 25, 2020 07:27PM
Ordered First Alert Z-Wave Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm from the google store / shipped by costco ($79 after a $20 coupon code).

[www.costco.com]

I like the idea of setting them up with a z-wave hub and app to let me know if one alarm detects smoke. Just not sure if it's really worth it and which hub to buy. I'd grab a RING hub but it appears that you cannot just buy a RING hub. SmartThings hub is an option. I do have a Logitech hub and smart remote and Logitech Harmony Home Z-Wave Plus Hub Extender "might" be an option but not sure if it works with First Alert.

Just looking for suggestions or maybe I should return the First Alert's.

Thanks.
Bill
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: First Alert Z-Wave Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm - Which Hub???
Posted by: John B.
Date: January 25, 2020 08:45PM
Decent price, since they're $40/each through Ring. If you connect them to a Ring alarm system, remote monitoring is $100/year (with cellular backup), which also covers Ring camera storage (if you have them). Is it worth it to have an alarm system call for help if you have smoke/CO? Up to you.
Date: January 25, 2020 09:26PM
I have a Reolink security camera setup. I also have Guardian Alarm ($49/month). I'm tempted to move over to Ring security ($100/year sounds worth it) but I have cats and wish it had glass breakage sensors and allowed me to just purchase a hub and a couple of door sensors to start and add on as I feel I need something. I thought I read something that Amazon will be using the amazon echo as a glass breakage setup and integrate with Ring. But, haven't read much about it yet.
Posted by: Z
Date: January 26, 2020 12:46AM
For the record, I had nothing to do with the wave.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 27, 2020 06:46AM
I have a smartthings hub that I connect my Nests to. The only thing I don't like about First Alert smoke detectors is that you cannot network them. I realize that if one goes off, you'll probably hear it. But for me, our kitchen is on the opposite side of our house from our bedroom. So I like that when one Nest goes off, they all go off.

Date: January 27, 2020 08:13AM
bazookaman
I have a smartthings hub that I connect my Nests to. The only thing I don't like about First Alert smoke detectors is that you cannot network them. I realize that if one goes off, you'll probably hear it. But for me, our kitchen is on the opposite side of our house from our bedroom. So I like that when one Nest goes off, they all go off.

So, if you had to do it again would you not go with First Alert? I am still on the fence on what to do. We have alarm service which I considered dropping and going with a Ring system. However... I'm not sure I want to yet (I'll e-mail them because I think you can use a echo for glass breakage from what I read more about last night). $10/month monitoring sounds too good to be true.

I do have a stand alone NVR to handle my cameras (reolink 4k) w/ an app. I have smart switches and a few smart plugs all using Smart Life app from Tuya and I'm sure both brands I own support IFTTT which allows you to do a virtual plug/switch on the Samsung SmartThings v3 hub to control these nonnative smartthings smart switches and plugs. So, I'm thinking the smartthings hub will do what I need it to do to control lights, plugs (via IFTTT), smoke detectors and maybe add a moisture sensor or two from Samsung.

I did order a SmartThings V3 hub last night seeing I had some points on my credit card and a gift card it cost me about $12 shipped. Only thing I guess I don't like about the V3 is no battery backup (but my internet doesn't have a battery backup either so guess that solves that issue).

Between Apple, Samsung, SmartThings (Tuya Zigbee) and Ring (and even Amazon seeing they own ring and they all integrate with Echo's) it's hard to make a decision right now. I will be researching a little more today before I start using my Samsung SmartThings V3 hub because maybe moving over to Ring security system and dumping Guardian Alarm might be the best way to go. Damn decisions. Ha ha.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 27, 2020 10:56AM
I love my Nest smoke alarms. The only downside is they are REALLY expensive. I have several but I've bought them over the course of years. And now for whatever reason, they stopped working with the new Smartthings app. Which is kind of annoying. My original goal was to set up something in Smartthings to where if the smoke alarm went off at night, it would also turn on all the lights. Now I just have to hope that someone gets Nest to work with the new Smartthings app.

I've got a battery backup that all my interwebs stuff is connected to. So when the power goes out, it keeps everything going for a little bit anyway. I mostly did it so that I could avoid restarting everything for a power "flicker".

But I am pretty entrenched in the Smartthings world. That is my litmus test for buying "smart" stuff. It needs to work with Smartthings.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 27, 2020 11:14AM
....Hubba.......hubba......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 166
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020