advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Kobe Bryant
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 26, 2020 01:45PM
Reported dead this morning in a helicopter crash.

RIP

[www.local10.com]

His failings as a family man acknowledged, he was a humanitarian and a basketball player.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2020 01:47PM by Rolando.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Kobe Bryant
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 26, 2020 01:50PM
wow.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: January 26, 2020 02:03PM
OMG! I can't believe it!

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 26, 2020 02:04PM
.....OMG......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: hal
Date: January 26, 2020 02:07PM
I just saw the headline - wow! Trying to remember the last time a star of such high status dying before his time. Roberto Clemente?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: January 26, 2020 02:09PM
Well, there’s the first HOLY @#$%&! story of 2020.

RIP.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: January 26, 2020 02:09PM
Sad news…

=wr=
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 26, 2020 02:13PM
hal
I just saw the headline - wow! Trying to remember the last time a star of such high status dying before his time. Roberto Clemente?

Stevie Ray Vaughn.

He died in the crash of a "widow maker" as well.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 26, 2020 02:13PM
It was not mentioned on NPR news at 2:00 CST. The main story is from TMZ. It's not on his Facebook page. I'm holding out hope for awhile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2020 02:19PM by Dennis S.
Date: January 26, 2020 02:17PM
....they just posted on Bing News......

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 26, 2020 02:18PM
Major outlets are starting to confirm. If Bryant were still alive and TMZ was wrong, he would be on social media saying it was a hoax.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: January 26, 2020 02:25PM
....yes, starting to pop up on other news services.....

Posted by: vision63
Date: January 26, 2020 02:28PM
Still holding my breath until I know about his children.
Date: January 26, 2020 02:28PM
Given his celebrity status, I’m holding my breath over there being any other familiar names. Famous or not, of course, every life lost a tragedy.

His last tweet, congratulating Lebron James on passing him last night on the all time scoring list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2020 02:34PM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: polychrome
Date: January 26, 2020 02:34PM
City of Calabasas, where the crash occurred, confirmed it. Only ABC News said thus far that his daughters were also on board.
[twitter.com]
Date: January 26, 2020 02:38PM
polychrome
City of Calabasas, where the crash occurred, confirmed it. Only ABC News said thus far that his daughters were also on board.
[twitter.com]

Go slow on this. One tweet saying the same thing has already been deleted.
Date: January 26, 2020 02:41PM
.....most are confirming his wife was not on board but no mention of his children yet.....or the identities of the others on the helicopter.....

Posted by: artie67
Date: January 26, 2020 02:42PM
All on board (5) are dead. Copter is lying upside down with fuel burning off. Fire dept. all over the place.
Location of Copter in up a canyon about halfway from the ridge with damage all over.
Other passengers have not been identified yet to by knowledge.
The copter was owned by Kobe.
Tragic news for all.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: January 26, 2020 02:48PM
whew.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: polychrome
Date: January 26, 2020 02:50PM
RIP to everyone who died in the crash.
Date: January 26, 2020 02:52PM
TMZ is reporting a source saying his 13 year old daughter Gianna Maria Onore was also onboard, the pair on the way to a girls basketball camp.

We're told they were on their way to the Mamba Academy for a basketball practice when the crash occurred. The Academy is in nearby Thousand Oaks.
Posted by: hal
[www.latimes.com]

LAT dropping the paywall to report
TMZ reporting that his 13 year old daughter was with him.

[www.tmz.com] 12:35 PM PT -- Kobe's daughter Gianna Maria Onore -- aka GiGi -- was also on board the helicopter and died in the crash ... reps for Kobe tell TMZ Sports. She was 13.
We're told they were on their way to the Mamba Academy for a basketball practice when the crash occurred. The Academy is in nearby Thousand Oaks.
Eyewitnesses also tell us that they heard the helicopter's engine sputtering before it went down. As you can see, flames and smoke covered much of the scene from the wreck. The official cause of the crash is currently under investigation.

I can't get this image to hotink. It shows Kobe and LeBron sharing a moment after Lebron passed him on the all-time scoring list. [img.bleacherreport.net]

This appears to be a photo of the crash site. Weather doesn't look too good. Maybe it was a contributing factor?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2020 03:03PM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: January 26, 2020 03:01PM
People magazine is going with TMZ’s reporting on the death of his daughter.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 26, 2020 03:10PM
At 3:00 CST, NPR news still didn't mention it.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 26, 2020 03:33PM
Baby Mamba. We still don't know who the others are?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 26, 2020 03:35PM
ESPN now saying his 13-year-old was also killed.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: artie67
Date: January 26, 2020 03:36PM
I rang them up and just for you.....

[www.npr.org]
Date: January 26, 2020 03:39PM
ka jowct

And now CNN is saying their reporter has confirmed the daughter’s death.
Date: January 26, 2020 03:46PM
....they are saying that his reps have confirmed that his daughter was on the helicopter......

Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 26, 2020 03:50PM
Absolutely shocking.
Date: January 26, 2020 03:59PM
[www.tmz.com]

1:48 PM PT -- Authorities near the crash site are about to hold a news conference, detailing the fatal incident. We will be streaming the whole thing live. It's expected to begin at 2 PM PT.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 26, 2020 04:02PM
R.I.P.

Such tragic news. sad smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: rz
Date: January 26, 2020 04:07PM
hal

Not that I had any respect for him, but I think Michael Jacksons death was pretty unexpected.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 26, 2020 04:14PM
rz
hal

Not that I had any respect for him, but I think Michael Jacksons death was pretty unexpected.

Prince also comes to mind.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 26, 2020 04:17PM
ka jowct

Just speculating here. Truly devastated that his daughter was with him....on the way to basketball camp....
I really hope she wasn't taking friends with her to that camp.

I want to hug my 14 y.o. soooooo hard!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 26, 2020 04:46PM
Another name has been released -- Orange Coast College (OCC) baseball coach John Altobelli

Sheriff reporting that nine were aboard, pilot and eight passengers. He will not release any names until the coroner confirms the identities.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2020 04:53PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 26, 2020 04:51PM
It gets worse.
Update: Sheriff says there were 9 people on board.

Los Angeles Sheriff Alex Villanueva says that nine people — the pilot and eight others — were aboard the helicopter that crashed earlier today in Calabasas, California. The Sheriff did not identify anyone on the flight, saying it was "entirely inappropriate" to do so at this time until the coroner made the identification to the next of kin.
Date: January 26, 2020 04:52PM
Ombligo
Another name has been released -- Orange Coast College (OCC) baseball coach John Altobelli

That leaves two more, at least one would be the pilot
Unfortunately, CNN is now reporting there were eight individuals plus the pilot onboard, so there are a fair number of victims yet to be identified.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 26, 2020 04:59PM
So sad to hear of this. He was a true legend.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: DP
Date: January 26, 2020 05:02PM
A true gentleman of the sports world. Never got into trouble, never shot his mouth off, etc. Sad to see this happen.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: January 26, 2020 05:14PM
Grew up in Los Angeles in the sixties and very early seventies. Always thought of myself as a basketball fan. In the days of Elgin Baylor and Jerry West it was easy.

After moving north to San Francisco, it was still easy to support Magic, Kareem, and Showtime. I'll still argue that one of the greater plays in NBA history was when Magic threw the ball down the court to go out of bounds (so as to not be fowled) in the last seconds of a playoff game against Portland. The announcers were openly speculating that Magic may have practiced that move to know exactly how many tenths of a second per foot a slowly-bouncing ball would run down the clock.

It wasn't until later that I realized I was really a Chick Hearn (announcer for the Lakers) fan.

Kobe and Shaq re-inspired my interest in the Lakers (and basketball). After Kobe retired, I realized I was not really a basketball fan, I had been just a Laker fan all those years. Don't think I've watched an entire game since he left.

Happy to think of Kobe's last, gracious Twitter post acknowledging the success of LeBron James.

Todd's sad keyboard
Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 26, 2020 05:37PM
So incredibly sad. R.I.P.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 26, 2020 05:46PM
DP
A true gentleman of the sports world. Never got into trouble, never shot his mouth off, etc. Sad to see this happen.

Uhhhh.... not sure many would agree with the above statement. But he was one of the best on the court.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: January 26, 2020 06:33PM
Tod, so much of what you said rang true for me, as well.
Well put, my friend.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 26, 2020 06:42PM
Famous or not, of course, every life lost a tragedy.

Agreed.
Posted by: Bo
Date: January 26, 2020 06:53PM
3d
DP

Uhhhh.... not sure many would agree with the above statement. But he was one of the best on the court.

Absolutely tragic news and a great loss do no doubt! That said, as 3D indicated, he certainly did get into trouble and that is a part of his story that cannot be overlooked.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 26, 2020 07:39PM
So tragic for his family and a huge loss to basketball. Kobe was one of the best athletes of our generation. A complicated man but he became a champion of women's causes while inspiring people everywhere to play hoops including of course his talented daughter.
RIP
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 26, 2020 07:55PM
ESPN reporting that besides Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, another teammate of Gianna’s and a parent en route to the travel basketball game. The Orange County Register reported that Orange Coast College baseball coach John Altobelli also died in the crash. John’s brother, Tony, told CNN that John’s wife and one of their two daughters were also killed in the crash.

That would be seven of the eight passengers. So sad.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: January 26, 2020 07:56PM
Some aviation back channel chatter is starting to paint a picture that this could be a case of controlled flight into terrain (CFIT). Looks like the cloud base (ceiling) dropped and the helicopter flew into a mountain. This is a very common cause of aviation accidents, difficult to be too hard on the pilot, as they're impossible to eliminate altogether. Great strides have been made to reduce their frequency. But they're bound to occur every now and then. RIP Mamba and friends.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2020 08:00PM by Carnos Jax.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 224
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018