advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A question for acoustic guitar players
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 28, 2020 05:57PM
Do any of you use Humidpacks or any of the other brands like them?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A question for acoustic guitar players
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 28, 2020 06:04PM
I never do but I'm in Arkansas where it's pretty humid.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 28, 2020 06:07PM
I have a VERY old table that has been in the family forever. It used to be a BIG HEAVY chunk of wood. Many years later in this dry environment, I'd swear it's half of its original weight and it's brittle as hell.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 28, 2020 06:47PM
I have a sponge-humidifier for when I need to go away for a few days, but I use a whole-room humidifier otherwise to keep the humidity well above 40% year-round.

Posted by: JoeM
Date: January 28, 2020 07:11PM
I’ve been playing for 53 years, probably have about nine different instruments and have never used them. That being said, I probably haven’t been too bright about it and should be using them at least in the old stuff that I care about.

JoeM
Posted by: davester
Date: January 28, 2020 07:48PM
Until this thread, I didn't even know there was such a thing. My 42 year old Gibson acoustic still sounds as good as (if not better than) the day I bought it so I'm not going to worry about it.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: January 28, 2020 08:28PM
Sarcany
I have a sponge-humidifier for when I need to go away for a few days, but I use a whole-room humidifier otherwise to keep the humidity well above 40% year-round.

A whole room humidifier is probably a good idea so long as it isn't one of those ultrasonic ones that leave a fine dust over everything.
Date: January 28, 2020 09:34PM
freeradical
Sarcany

A whole room humidifier is probably a good idea so long as it isn't one of those ultrasonic ones that leave a fine dust over everything.

No. Heated.

It's my bedroom and I prefer to avoid respiratory tract colonization by aerosolized pathogenic bacteria.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 28, 2020 09:43PM
i have a high end Santa Cruz that developed serious problems because of humidity. one place thought it needed a neck reset that would have necessitated sending it to california. second opinion was that it had become too wet - absorbed too much water. they dried it out for a couple of weeks and then made other adjustments to the neck. they told me to keep it in the case as much as possible and to use the D’Addario Humidipak Kit which equalizers the air in the guitar case. it takes moisture out of the case air if it’s too high and puts moisture back in if it’s too dry.

it’s been fine in the year+ since. i use the same system for a Goodall i acquired in the past year. a guitar in a case gets played less in my opinion but better than a warped guitar.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2020 09:44PM by graylocks.
Date: January 28, 2020 09:58PM
graylocks
a guitar in a case gets played less in my opinion but better than a warped guitar.

Agreed.

I have my $200 Yamaha classical on a stand, and I pick it up all the time.

However, I recently spent 1200 dead presidents on a Cordoba C12, and I need to take more care of this instrument.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: January 28, 2020 10:48PM
With apologies to freeradical for the slight derail, wondering how to get dust out of the hollow body of acoustic guitar/bass that might have been hanging on a stand for years? I’m guilty…

But most of mine are slabs. Whew.

=wr=
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 29, 2020 07:24AM
I thought that's why old guitars sounded so good: the wood has dried up enough so that it's more resonant than a newer guitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2020 07:24AM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 29, 2020 08:24AM
We keep one for my wife's Taylor, but other than one guitar that we don't bother. It's Georgia, low humidity is rarely an issue.
Date: January 29, 2020 08:41AM
Will Collier
We keep one for my wife's Taylor, but other than one guitar that we don't bother. It's Georgia, low humidity is rarely an issue.

be careful. my GA guitar developed issues because of high humidity. humidity problems cut both ways.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: January 29, 2020 08:44AM
mrbigstuff
I thought that's why old guitars sounded so good: the wood has dried up enough so that it's more resonant than a newer guitar.

that is definitely true but there’s a difference between “enough” and way too much.

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 29, 2020 09:12AM
wave rider
With apologies to freeradical for the slight derail, wondering how to get dust out of the hollow body of acoustic guitar/bass that might have been hanging on a stand for years? I’m guilty…
Get a grabber/pickup tool, $3 @ Harbor Freight and
some microfiber cloths, 4/$3 also @ Harbor Freight.
Before use, wrap the tool's flex shaft with elect. tape to prevent scratching.
Use the cloths on the end of the tool to collect the dust.
Finish with compressed air.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Date: January 29, 2020 09:20AM
graylocks
mrbigstuff

that is definitely true but there’s a difference between “enough” and way too much.

The reason that I have the humidifier going is that I lost a previous acoustic to dry winter air.

The neck bowed. Didn't notice it initially. First symptom was that it was going out of tune more often than before. When I noticed the bowing, thought it might be something that I could adjust with the truss rod, but when I looked carefully, I saw that the glue had basically disappeared at the base of the neck and the neck was actually coming off of the body.

Brought it to a luthier and he showed me that there was more subtle damage inside the guitar where the glue had dried and cracked. Quoted me a price for the rebuild that was twice what the guitar was worth new.

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 29, 2020 09:47AM
graylocks
Will Collier

be careful. my GA guitar developed issues because of high humidity. humidity problems cut both ways.

Fair point, but the only stuff in our instrument collection that I'm really worried about are a couple of violins. We take care to keep those protected.
Posted by: rz
Date: January 29, 2020 10:08AM
They beat this topic to death on the Acoustic Guitar Forum. At least once a week, there's a long discussion about humidifying guitars.

I don't use humidipacks. Well, I did once, but gave up on them. They work great if you have one guitar and are in an environment where humidity is close to the ideal range (40-50% approximately). They can get expensive when you own around 10 guitars.

A cheap, and very effective alternative is to take a plastic soapbox, drill a bunch of small holes in the top, and fill them with those water beads you can find in any craft store. Some will suggest a damp sponge instead, but I found that the water beads work for longer. When the beads (or sponge) dry out, you just get them wet again.

I still have a few of the soapboxes, but finally got a whole-home humidifier. Which is a misnomer for me, as it's only used in the room where my guitars (and computers) are located. It holds 5 gallons, and has a filter so it doesn't leave the white mineral deposits everywhere like a misting humidifier does. When it's really dry, I have to refill it every other day. Once it cools down and I'm not running AC, I don't refill it for months. It's been almost two months since I've had to refill it.

And to address some comments above. It doesn't matter where you live, or what the humidity level is outside. Do you store your guitars outside? No! You need to know what the RH% is INSIDE your house, specifically where you store your guitars. I live in Central FL. In summer, the RH% OUTSIDE ranges from 80-100% every day. Inside, however, I run the AC continuously, which dries things out. RH% in my guitar room would be in the 25-30% range without humidifying. Which can, as mentioned above, cause your guitar to crack. In winter, when it's cooler outside, and much less humid, the RH% in my guitar room is between 40-50% WITHOUT using the humidifier. Go figure.

Finally, whatever you decide to do, buy a hygrometer. Not an analog one, but a decent digital one. I use Oasis Caliber IV's. Cost around $20 on Amazon. You really need to know what you're dealing with so you can humidify/dehumidify accordingly.
Date: January 29, 2020 10:42AM
rz
Finally, whatever you decide to do, buy a hygrometer. Not an analog one, but a decent digital one. I use Oasis Caliber IV's. Cost around $20 on Amazon. You really need to know what you're dealing with so you can humidify/dehumidify accordingly.

YES.

Date: January 29, 2020 10:42AM
rz
finally got a whole-home humidifier. Which is a misnomer for me, as it's only used in the room where my guitars (and computers) are located. It holds 5 gallons, and has a filter so it doesn't leave the white mineral deposits everywhere like a misting humidifier does.

what's the make and model of your humidifier? within a year my son should be moving out. maybe i could make his room a place where the guitars could be out. do you seal the room in any way?

i've had little success over the years with the humidifying regimes you mentioned from the Acoustic Guitar Forum, however, the D'Addario Humidipak has been a game changer for me in terms of ease of use and consistency. i have hygrometers in the cases and around my house. inside the case is consistently in the mid 40%.

D'Addario Humidipak Automatic Humidity Control System

Posted by: wave rider
Date: January 29, 2020 10:54AM
MrNoBody
wave rider
Get a grabber/pickup tool, $3 @ Harbor Freight and
some microfiber cloths, 4/$3 also @ Harbor Freight.
Before use, wrap the tool's flex shaft with elect. tape to prevent scratching.
Use the cloths on the end of the tool to collect the dust.
Finish with compressed air.

Thanks MrNoBody!

=wr=
Date: January 29, 2020 11:48AM
graylocks
rz
finally got a whole-home humidifier. Which is a misnomer for me, as it's only used in the room where my guitars (and computers) are located. It holds 5 gallons, and has a filter so it doesn't leave the white mineral deposits everywhere like a misting humidifier does.

what's the make and model of your humidifier? within a year my son should be moving out. maybe i could make his room a place where the guitars could be out. do you seal the room in any way?

i've had little success over the years with the humidifying regimes you mentioned from the Acoustic Guitar Forum, however, the D'Addario Humidipak has been a game changer for me in terms of ease of use and consistency. i have hygrometers in the cases and around my house. inside the case is consistently in the mid 40%.

D'Addario Humidipak Automatic Humidity Control System

this is the model I have: [www.amazon.com]

I don't seal the room, but if I shut the door, it obviously gets more humid quicker. I have 3 guitars in glass enclosed wall cases in the room, and 6 in cases. I'm looking to get two more of the wall cases, and thin out a few. I can't leave the guitars out (5 cats), so the wall cases are the next best thing. I put a seal around them and have the soapboxes in there. The ones in regular cases stay pretty close to whatever the ambient RH in the room is.
Date: January 29, 2020 12:28PM
How is a digital hygrometer better than an analog one? I always thought that the "gold standard" for hygrometers was the classic sling psychrometer.
Date: January 29, 2020 02:10PM
freeradical
How is a digital hygrometer better than an analog one? I always thought that the "gold standard" for hygrometers was the classic sling psychrometer.

Let me clarify... some analog hygrometers are great, but they cost a lot of money. The typical "consumer" ones you see are crap. They are usually wildly inaccurate, and need to be calibrated frequently. A lot of digital ones are crap, but even some super cheap ones are surprisingly accurate.

BTW, the built-in digital one on the evaporative humidifier I bought is WAY off. It shows approximately 20 points higher than actual. Having 5 other hygrometers from 3 different manufacturers that all read within 1% of each other, I was able to determine that and adjust accordingly.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 29, 2020 03:26PM
I think so much of this is bs fueled by the age of internet know it alls. Extreme weather conditions excepted, I really have never met anyone who does this with any different problems than one who does not.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 291
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018