advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Have they made a good $300 hearing aid yet?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 29, 2020 10:34PM
I remember seeing awhile ago that the FDA was going to approve them some day.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Have they made a good $300 hearing aid yet?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 29, 2020 11:06PM
I bet the Airpod Pros would make a pretty good hearing aid if they just reversed the noise cancellation.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 30, 2020 12:02AM
Interested in this myself. Last pair of hearing aids I got (around 2006/2007) (and didn't last more than 5 years) were around $5k for the pair (in-canal type).

Back in the 90s, before they got shut down, I was using (I think) Songbird hearing aids. They were disposable but the sealed battery lasted for several months. The FDA shut it down, citing that people shouldn't be self-prescribing hearing loss. @#$%& you; then why can people self-prescribe glasses?

I've seen some promising hearing aids starting to hover around $1k, and a handful in the $300 to $500 range are turning up a lot more -- I just don't know how good they are at this point. I know CVS stocks several (ranging from $30 to $300), and ZVOX is selling a behind-the-ear one, including a rechargeable.

It's spelled " y'all "

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 30, 2020 12:09AM
Looking around, I found this site, and will start reading: [www.hearingdirect.com]

Costco apparently has hearing centers; no Costco near me (I'm in the heart of Walmart/Sams country), but: [www.costco.com]

It's spelled " y'all "

Posted by: jonny
Date: January 30, 2020 12:24AM
One other option to consider... [www.rtings.com]
Posted by: zachdog
Date: January 30, 2020 07:59AM
What?
Posted by: rz
Date: January 30, 2020 08:09AM
zachdog
What?

Damn. Beat me to it.
Posted by: decay
Date: January 30, 2020 08:33AM
my mother-in-law needs them badly.
she lives with us, and conversations are painful.
also, she's resistant and doesn't have the $$$ for a proper pair.

i'd love to get her SOMETHING that she will wear so we don't have to shout and repeat ourselves 3-4 times.

---
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 30, 2020 08:50AM
My mom had a pair of behind the ear from Costco. They were the best she used but were about $1500 (each? pair?) in 2011.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 30, 2020 10:22AM
SPEAK UP!

I CAN 'T HEAR YOU....
Posted by: Ammo
Date: January 30, 2020 10:48AM
I have been very pleased with the Costco Signature hearing aid. It doesn’t have all of the latest features of some aids, but at $1500/pair, I think they deserve serious consideration. It’s made a huge improvement in my quality of life because my normal hearing had gotten so poor. I believe Costco‘s warranty is very good, too. If you live near a Costco store, it’s very convenient to stop by the hearing aid counter for questions or adjustments. BTW, if you truly only need 1 aid, Costco will sell you 1. Dr. approval required.

A feature to look for in any aid is Bluetooth. It is absolutely wonderful to have incoming phone calls directed straight to my hearing aid rather than having to use a hand set.

Here’s a review that does a good job of explaining the Costco hearing aid’s pros and cons:

[youtu.be]

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2020 11:55AM by Ammo.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 30, 2020 10:56AM
.......'ear today......gone tomorrow.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: January 30, 2020 12:00PM
I heard an expert on hearing loss on Fresh Air a few months back, and he spoke very highly of the Bose Hearphones. We bought a set for my dad for Christmas just based on that. On Christmas Day he reported they were very helpful, though I noticed he still seemed to be relying somewhat on lipreading. In subsequent days, he was confounded by the modern electronic switches (kept wanting them to be slide switches) and of course the smartphone app for noise-canceling and frequency selectivity was something completely outside his world, so we never really conducted a robust trial before I left him and came back home.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: January 30, 2020 09:18PM
I second the recommendation for Costco hearing aids. I'm on my third pair and they get better each time. My insurance covers $2600 every three years and that's the price of the Rexton aides that I chose. The warranty is for three years also, so I'm covered. I just had a pair replaced a year and a half into the cycle because the battery doors didn't closed properly. Costco sent them in and I got a new pair rather than a repair.
Can't speak highly enough about the quality and service. Plus, they do a free hearing test.
The current Rexton model that Costco sells has a quad core processor in it. Can't wait to see what they have when my three year cycle is up. Imagine, quad-core! Probably can play Fortnite with 'em.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 30, 2020 09:39PM
I need them bad but I need something to mask my severe Tinnitus also.

First Look at the Bose Hearing Aid
Self-Fitting Bose "Hearing Aid" Resembles Bose Hearphones

[www.hearingtracker.com]

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2020 09:42PM by Grateful11.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 275
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018