advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I don't like watching sports with casual sports fans
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 31, 2020 12:34AM
I'm really looking forward to the Superbowl but I always have to watch it (and most playoffs) with people that don't really care that much. They pretend to be really into it for that one game. Of my 2 sports fanatic best friends, one has passed away (RIP Teddy Ted) and the other one lives in Houston.

I couldn't even properly mourn Kobe with my 2 fellow Kobe idollators. I went to L.A. Live (by Staples) by myself (it did feel like family though).

This Superbowl looks like a great matchup but jeeze.

facepalm
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I don't like watching sports with casual sports fans
Posted by: wave rider
Date: January 31, 2020 01:29AM
I will probably watch alone. Don’t like any distractions especially if I am fond of the team(s).

=wr=
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 31, 2020 01:49AM
Unlike Uncle Russ (VS) I'll be watching detached from the outcome for the first time in a long time, so it may actually be a better experience.

Having a home or favorite team in the SuperBowl distorts ones perspective and detracts from the experience, something Russ hasn't, but for last year, had to endure this entire century. smileys with beer
Date: January 31, 2020 02:37AM
RgrF
Unlike Uncle Russ (VS) I'll be watching detached from the outcome for the first time in a long time, so it may actually be a better experience.

Having a home or favorite team in the SuperBowl distorts ones perspective and detracts from the experience, something Russ hasn't, but for last year, had to endure this entire century. smileys with beer

Uncle Russ hasn't had his favorite team near a Superbowl since 2001. :-(

I've officially switched to the Rams because of Raiders betrayal.
Date: January 31, 2020 02:55AM
Rams?!!!

If your allegiances are that fungible, what's wrong with switching to the SD LA Padres Chargers?

They're the upstart team that needs LA fan support. Rather than jumping on the establishment Rams bandwagon, you ought to try to bring the two fan bases together and bring one of them home as a SB winnerspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Date: January 31, 2020 03:09AM
BTW Russ, there's a spot for you up here in the Valley if you can get past the east coast accents and these guys amiable jerks rooting for the point spread rather than the teams.

Bring friends and we'll toast your collective azz. I'll host the first round or three.
Date: January 31, 2020 07:10AM

I don't understand that logic, you're in LA and in Vegas the Raiders will be closer to LA than they were when in Oakland. Not as close as when they took some $10,000,000 in sucker money from Irwindale, but still closer than da Bay area.

Al Davis was Trump before Trump!
Posted by: DP
Date: January 31, 2020 08:01AM
I have had an SB party for about the past eight years where I make my award winning chili (a fourth place once grinning smiley). The once a year I make it...

But we'll have 25 or so crammed into our not-so-big house and I'd say half will be fans that get into it. Us poor Lions fans have to get excited about something!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 31, 2020 08:06AM
I'm the opposite. I don't like watching sports with sports fanatics. I find they tend to talk too much about their knowledge. I plan on watching the Super Bowl. But you know what? If I missed it, it really wouldn't bother me all that much.
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 31, 2020 08:29AM
There's a Super Bowl this Sunday????
Posted by: davester
Date: January 31, 2020 09:22AM
RgrF

I don't understand that logic, you're in LA and...

What!? Vision63 has moved to LA? Tell me it ain't so!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 31, 2020 10:37AM
I call it the SuperBore. You couldn't PAY me to watch. Vision would probably throw me out of his SB party, never to be invited back.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 31, 2020 11:19AM
I hear they have TWO teams this year.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 31, 2020 12:12PM

I know, right?!

There have been several mosts where he mentions L.A., and I've been wondering...

I hope it's not about the Raiders.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: January 31, 2020 12:40PM
RgrF

I don't understand that logic, you're in LA and in Vegas the Raiders will be closer to LA than they were when in Oakland. Not as close as when they took some $10,000,000 in sucker money from Irwindale, but still closer than da Bay area.

Al Davis was Trump before Trump!

Raiders belong in Oakland. Nevada is a whole other state. I live in the Golden State. The king of states.
Date: January 31, 2020 12:50PM
RAMd®d

I know, right?!

There have been several mosts where he mentions L.A., and I've been wondering...

I hope it's not about the Raiders.

davester
RgrF

I don't understand that logic, you're in LA and...

I split my time between L.A. and the Bay. I still have my job in San Francisco. I'm a huge Oakland lover and whenever the city would come up with a stadium solution, Mark Davis would come up with another hurdle. My last straw was when he said he wanted the city to "give" the Raiders the entire sports complex and kick the A's off of it. That's when I knew he was not serious about staying. Of course the city sided with the A's as they play 80+ games a year compared to the Raiders 8. Plus he still disses Oakland.

So I placed a curse on the team's prospects and just focused on the Rams, which was my original team. Moving back to my hometown was bittersweet because I felt badly for the people in St Louis, but I doubt they felt badly for me when the Rams left L.A.

Woe is me cry smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2020 12:56PM by vision63.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 31, 2020 02:28PM

==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 272
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018