AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
interesting place to watch a movie
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 01, 2020 09:29AM
Re: interesting place to watch a movie
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 01, 2020 10:02AM
.....they do it a lot now.....mostly on Halloween but other times too......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 01, 2020 10:44AM
Seems disrespectful.

I consider graves to be private property belonging to the deceased and their descendants. Unless those individuals gave permission to party on their family remains, then it shouldn't be done.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 01, 2020 10:47AM
Going picnicking in cemeteries, especially Green-wood type garden cemeteries, has been a practice in the U.S. since the 1840's.

“Green-Wood is this really kind of special place, back to an era when graveyards were open space for people to be in.”

Green-Wood Cemetery is a 478-acre (193 ha) cemetery in the western portion of Brooklyn, New York City. Green-Wood Cemetery was founded in 1838 as a rural cemetery, in a time of rapid urbanization when churchyards in New York City were becoming overcrowded. Described as "Brooklyn's first public park by default long before Prospect Park was created",[8] Green-Wood Cemetery was so popular that it inspired a competition to design Central Park in Manhattan, as well as Prospect Park nearby.

The cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997 and was made a National Historic Landmark in 2006. In addition, the 25th Street gates, the Weir Greenhouse, and the Fort Hamilton Parkway Gate & Green-Wood Cemetery Chapel were separately designated as city landmarks by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission at various times.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: February 01, 2020 11:29AM
Ombligo
Seems disrespectful.

I consider graves to be private property belonging to the deceased and their descendants. Unless those individuals gave permission to party on their family remains, then it shouldn't be done.

Gotta agree.

If there was some general green space, that would be one thing. But literally on the graves? That’s sucky.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 01, 2020 11:54AM
No sir, I don't like it. Not one bit. IMO, very disrespectful.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 01, 2020 12:21PM
Blankity Blank
Ombligo
Seems disrespectful.

Gotta agree.

If there was some general green space, that would be one thing. But literally on the graves? That’s sucky.

Where I grew up, the cemeteries were all dismal places with looming gates and keep-out signs, barely kept up and likely to have been vandalized many times.

But when I got out into the larger world, I found that this was not the rule. Many cemeteries in the U.S. are social spaces and are sustained like parkland.

Have had some nice dates strolling through cemeteries.

Some of them pipe music throughout the grounds for visitors to enjoy. Some host annual events -- parties and balls -- for the locals.

When you go to pay respects to a dead-person, is the actual grave in front of the stone or behind it? Guess what: You've stood on some dead people, yourself.

Posted by: MikeF
Date: February 01, 2020 12:42PM
Would you do that at Arlington? Would you do that at any other historical cemetery? If the answer is no, you shouldn't do it there, either.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 01, 2020 12:44PM
Some people are just dying to go to the movies.

At least the "neighbors" should be quiet...........
Date: February 01, 2020 01:08PM
MikeF
Would you do that at Arlington? Would you do that at any other historical cemetery? If the answer is no, you shouldn't do it there, either.

I assume that you mean Arlington National Cemetery.

No. They chase you down to the Marine Memorial or Mount Vernon Trail. The place is depressing and dour. But other cemeteries in the region encourage visitors to enjoy themselves. Some even pipe music throughout the grounds.

Pretending that respect for the dead somehow implies quiet dread for their graves is a gross cultural bias that isn't even shared widely throughout the West.

Cemeteries are often the only open grassy spaces in big cities. Use them. Respect the dead with a little reminder of what makes a good life.

Posted by: MindMeld
Date: February 01, 2020 02:28PM
Interesting thread. I've been to Arlington National Cemetery many times and have attended several funerals there but have never considered it "depressing and dour." It's a beautiful setting and is extremely well maintained.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 01, 2020 03:17PM
MindMeld
Interesting thread. I've been to Arlington National Cemetery many times and have attended several funerals there but have never considered it "depressing and dour." It's a beautiful setting and is extremely well maintained.

Agreed

Last June, my Father was interred there. The ceremony was wonderful.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 01, 2020 03:27PM
freeradical
MindMeld

Agreed

And do you think he would mind if his favorite music was played over his grave? Besides Taps.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 01, 2020 03:33PM
Speedy
freeradical
MindMeld

Agreed

And do you think he would mind if his favorite music was played over his grave? Besides Taps.

He was cremated, so his ashes are not underground.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 01, 2020 03:49PM
Speedy
freeradical
MindMeld

Agreed

That is hardly comparable to strangers having a movie party.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: February 01, 2020 04:49PM
Ombligo
Speedy
freeradical
MindMeld

Agreed

That is hardly comparable to strangers having a movie party.

If you're assuming that the dead are listening from underground, why not assume that they'd enjoy a good movie?

The American tradition of using cemeteries as parks:

[www.smithsonianmag.com]

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 01, 2020 06:11PM
Sarcany

The American tradition of using cemeteries as parks:

[www.smithsonianmag.com]

Thanks for the article, Sarcany
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 01, 2020 06:25PM
I believe Cemeteries are best used as a place for quiet reflection, not just for the sake of those who are buried there, but for the visitor’s sake, too.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018