advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How dependent are you of your cell phone GPS?
Posted by: kap
Date: February 01, 2020 02:49PM
My relative new job is 11 miles from our apt. For the past 2 months I had commuted using the same surface streets suggested by the GPS. It would take 1 hour, sometimes 1-1/2 hours, to get home. One night I decided to not listen to my Android GPS. It shaved 10 minutes off my route! GPS algorithm smiley-shocked003

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How dependent are you of your cell phone GPS?
Posted by: hal
Date: February 01, 2020 02:56PM
GPS tend to go for the easiest route, but not necessarily the fastest.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: February 01, 2020 03:00PM
Well, I've never used it, so not very dependent, I guess.

When I'm walking around an unfamiliar place, I will sometimes look at maps on my phone if I don't have a paper map. But I much prefer the maps.me model of showing me a distance and bearing (your hotel is 600 meters in that direction) to having some voice tell me to "turn left on unnamed lane for 65 meters; then turn right on unnamed lane for 20 meters."

I only drive a few times a year, but when I do, I much prefer to get the overall route in my head before setting out.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 01, 2020 03:18PM
I’m dependent for its capability to measure my workout distance. But I also use it when traveling by car to parts unknown.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: February 01, 2020 03:29PM
kap,

No GPS program can beat local knowledge. Traffic patterns vary by daytime of day, by weather, by construction, by local events, accident rates, school bus traffic, and who knows what else. Most of the time I can beat Maps recommendations in familiar areas but I don't try in strange territory unless road signs tell me to.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 01, 2020 03:43PM
I used a GPS for about a week 15 years ago, it was useless. The paper issued them to replace the map books we had carried for years. I sent it back and kept the maps I. I can glance at it and within a few seconds have the route in my head.

I'll use google maps on my laptop in place of paper today, but once I leave the house it is all in my head.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: datbeme
Date: February 01, 2020 03:53PM
I know Google will eventually make it unusable, but I've been highly dependent on Waze for several years. Having real time crowd-sourced info is crucial.

Many years ago we were at a travel sports event in a busy city. So about 20 families with separate rental cars navigating to the same hotels, fields and restaurants. Someone suggested using Waze, and it was the first time I'd ever heard of it. A handful of us downloaded it and gave it a shot. The very first trip back to a hotel took us on a bizarre route that had my wife complaining that this was really messed up. Couldn't be right. But it was rush hour, and the trip took us about 20 minutes vs. nearly an hour for the non-Waze majority in our group.

I can't say it's always been perfect, but for the most part, this has been the story again and again over the years. Hop on a familiar expressway and get rerouted to something that in your experience makes no sense? Ignore it at your peril. You assume you know better because you've driven it a million times, but you don't know about that accident that traps you in gridlock for 45 minutes.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 01, 2020 03:57PM
Being able to pick a route to beat a GPS/Map app is pretty advanced. It requires knowledge of how traffic patterns change during the day.

I have no problems using a paper map to go someplace unfamiliar but that means I can get stuck in typical traffic. Unusual traffic like an accident is bad news.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 01, 2020 03:57PM
hal
GPS tend to go for the easiest route, but not necessarily the fastest.

VERY true. There is one southbound on ramp to I-5 in downtown Seattle that is a trap between about 2:30pm until about 7pm. GPS always sends you there, along with 75 thousand other people. The only way to get through that area is to break traffic laws.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 01, 2020 04:19PM
Some GPS apps are designed to navigate the fastest route using real-time and historic traffic analysis.

Some just take you by the most direct route, perhaps with a few options to avoid highways and tolls.

It seems that some people here have only used the latter type.

Posted by: Acer
Date: February 01, 2020 04:25PM
I only use it locally for suggestions when I am expecting traffic to be a factor. Away from home I rely on it heavily. The map accuracy and routing software is much improved over 15 years ago. That said, when vacationing, I do keep a paper map handy for the overview as well as a back-up.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 01, 2020 04:31PM
....can't find bathroom without it......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: fauch
Date: February 01, 2020 04:47PM
I am usually sorry when I think I can outsmart Waze...
Locally I don't use it for directions, mainly for traffic.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 01, 2020 05:10PM
When using Google Maps and Apple Maps side by side, my experience is the Google Maps absolutely spanks Apple Maps on a regular basis. The Rand McNally software that was OEM in my RVs infotainment system ROUTINELY tries to route me off the Cross Box Expressway and onto local Bronx streets which in addition to bumper to bumper traffic, has stop lights at EVERY intersection. The overall best GPS navigation I've experienced has been when using TomTom. Sadly, my "Lifetime Maps" I PAID for with TomTom software "died" and now, TomTom wants to extort more money for something that I've already paid for. cursing smiley
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 01, 2020 05:20PM
I think I used mine once in the past two years. But then again, I'm old school and drove for many years by the seat of my pants, rarely using a paper map.

I've been told I have a good sense of direction.

EDIT: I've never gotten lost, but I've been a might confused from time to time. smiley-laughing001

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2020 05:21PM by Rick-o.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 01, 2020 06:00PM
I use it when traveling in unfamiliar places and to plot a multi stop trip that takes me out of my locale .

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 01, 2020 06:03PM
I never use GPS.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 01, 2020 07:38PM
Ombligo
I used a GPS for about a week 15 years ago, it was useless. The paper issued them to replace the map books we had carried for years. I sent it back and kept the maps I. I can glance at it and within a few seconds have the route in my head.

I'll use google maps on my laptop in place of paper today, but once I leave the house it is all in my head.

it's unfortunate that your experience 15 years ago has continued to color your thoughts. i started using a GPS about 15 years ago. for a touring musician it was a godsend. it was like having Rand MacNalley and the phone books on steroids. a map tells you where you're going; it doesn't necessarily tell you where you are especially in areas where street signs are long gone or few and far between. on a highway and you really need to find a pharmacy - check the GPS. at a hotel and want Thai food - GPS. want to explore a bit but hesitant because it's a drag always having to figure out how to get back to the hotel - use the GPS.

i used to be a map snob. in 2004 while on tour i had an accident starting out where i wasn't injured but did require a rental vehicle to finish the tour. the town & country van i was given had a GPS. CHANGED MY LIFE.
when i got home and bought another van i was sure to include a GPS in the budgeting. i bought a stand alone so i could also use it in any rental vehicles.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: February 01, 2020 09:17PM
I have a 60 minute commute and google maps has helped me on multiple occasions avoid traffic jams on various highways. I won't leave home without it on!
Date: February 02, 2020 01:12AM
sunfalcon reminded me to mention, I always have Waze running to monitor traffic/accidents. The only caveat is that it can be up to 10 minutes behind real time.

At the previous place I lived, I would start Waze, put in my commute and hit the freeway in four minutes. It would sometimes be just starting to back up due to everybody hitting the freeway and it would usually not show up as an alert on the Waze map until I was almost through it four miles down the freeway.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 02, 2020 09:01AM
I don't use GPS a lot, but I do use it seemingly regularly, as stuff comes up, and it's mainly Maps, Apple.

Just as some people won't allow Alexa in da house, I won't let Google monitor/track my whereabouts.

Maps over all works quite well for me.

I've only had one instance where it gave me a runaround to get from Point B to A, even after getting from A to B quickly and correctly. That was years ago.

I was never a paper map snob. They represented the best that could be done in a primitive manner and time.

For years, I use a Thomas Guide, which was state of the art in paper maps for me.

A friend lent me a Garmin Street Pilot of check out, and it was amazing. It was a monster, but that was then, and it was still amazing. Now there's personal, portable GPS.

Paper maps are still useful, say for plotting a long trip. But once done, it's pixel over paper, until if and when a major course change is desired or needed.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 02, 2020 10:12AM
Use GPS all the time but know I can often best using local knowledge.

Took a gps recommended route the other day that took me through a different part of town using a road I didn’t know existed. Was nice break from the routine and not longer.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 02, 2020 10:22AM
Filliam H. Muffman
Being able to pick a route to beat a GPS/Map app is pretty advanced. It requires knowledge of how traffic patterns change during the day.

That's the whole point of Waze. It combines GPS positioning, accurate maps, and crowd-sourced instantaneous traffic updating. It changes your routing as it sees situations develop. The few times I've thought that Waze was leading me astray, I was wrong.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2020 10:24AM by davester.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 02, 2020 12:55PM
.....they track you.....using GPS.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 02, 2020 05:11PM
How to create a virtual traffic jam on Google maps...

Slowly pull a wagon of cell phones down the street!

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 02, 2020 11:15PM
davester
Filliam H. Muffman

That's the whole point of Waze. It combines GPS positioning, accurate maps, and crowd-sourced instantaneous traffic updating. It changes your routing as it sees situations develop. The few times I've thought that Waze was leading me astray, I was wrong.

I can beat WAZE sometimes, mostly because it is based on average. Also it assumes that you travel the speed limit and that there isn't traffic. In some parts of the greater Seattle area, if you aren't 10 over on the freeway, things get dangerous. People get ANGRY. Traffic it doesn't know about really screws things up too.

But on surface side streets in Seattle, driving the 20mph speed limit isn't a good idea in many areas, in my opinion. I roll along at maybe 15 and assume everything that can move could start to move at any time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2020 11:27PM by Racer X.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020