advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone using SmartThings and virtual plugs via IFTTT?
Posted by: spacescape
Date: February 03, 2020 07:19AM
So I picked up a some First Alert smoke / CO detectors up and a SmartThings hub so I could see the status of the smoke detectors. I use Smart Life and Alexa to control 4 plugs, two thermostats, 4 smart switches and a couple of other things. So, not super invested in any particular brand but would like to get everything in sync if possible. The Smart Switches weren't super expensive and neither were the smart plugs and they work with Smart Life and Alexa just fine. They are also IFTTT compatible. So, within the SmartThings app you are supposed to be able to setup a virtual switch and when you trigger the virtual switch it tells IFTTT to trigger the switch via Smart Life. However, I'm missing something. I did google, search, etc. but I must be missing something because I can't seem to get this setup. Really, all I'd like to do is get my bedroom lights to turn on "if" the smoke detector goes off. So, it might be easier to just get SmartThings certified plugs for these rooms. Because I don't totally mind turning on my smart switches (external lights) on via Smart Life or Alexa app.

Which site(s) should I sign up for to determine is SmartThings is the way I want to go... or should I consider moving over to Ring.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020