advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Let's say I was interested in fitness apps
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 03, 2020 08:15PM
Maybe something with a list of stretching routines, basic calisthenic routines. Maybe a calorie tracker. Nothing involving a gym or even home equipment, just basic stuff.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Let's say I was interested in fitness apps
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 03, 2020 08:54PM
what are your goals?

Date: February 03, 2020 09:12PM
mattkime
what are your goals?

to make a lifestyle change and get in reasonable shape

-- not interested in lifting weights
-- not interested in running for God's sake
-- I won't be getting any "home gym" gear anytime soon, nor joining a club

But I'll exercise, and if I can figure out a way to bring bike riding back into my world I'd like to do that also. That's a separate thing tho, for later.
Date: February 03, 2020 09:23PM
Maybe a step counter / activity tracker and set a goal. Or set a goal for a walk of a certain length x times a week.

>stretching routines, basic calisthenic routines

This has largely be replaced by exercises that focus on strength and range of motion, often working opposing muscles. Working on balance and core exercises. Stretching alone was tossed a while ago for the most part. This part tends to be very particular to the individual and addressing your specific limitations. That said, keep it manageable and fun otherwise you won't stick with it.
Date: February 03, 2020 09:45PM
Ooh, wearable tech? I'm tempted but don't want to spend money on anything good right now. Maybe later.

When I said "stretching" I only meant to warm up. It's not hard to find "what" to do or don't do. Maybe I'll just write out lists. But I think we're talking about the same things here re: core and so on.

I started walking just the other day. I'm not sure I'll walk every day, but I could. I pick like a 40 or 60 minute podcast and go to the park. I keep a brisk pace I think even though I don't know the actual MPH. It's not like I plan on power walking or whatever. I'd take up jogging before I did that.

They have a gravel track that winds semi-interestingly around trees and over a couple short wooden bridges etc. I can feel it in my legs and knee joints when I'm done, but in a good way. None of that makes me winded. Unfortunately there are no decent benches not mired in grass or pull up bars there.
Date: February 03, 2020 09:55PM
>Ooh, wearable tech? I'm tempted but don't want to spend money on anything good right now. Maybe later.

Just print a calendar and mark days you succeed in doing whatever you think you need. Reward yourself, make it fun. Sounds like you're in a good place to get started.

IMO, fitness apps are good if you them find them fun (they rarely are) or use them to modify your behavior. They're a little entertainment off to the side of the main attraction, doing the activity.
Posted by: Wags
Date: February 04, 2020 12:26AM
If an app helps you achieve these goals, all good. I'd say, don't over think it. Do you have specific problems with areas of your body? I have problems with my lower back, so I went YouTube and and sorted through a million vids til I found a few that worked for me. 30 seconds seems to be the time you need to hold it so the muscles will let go. Don't know where you live, but I have a park nearby where I've measured out the miles, up to five. 40 minutes, about 3 miles or so, really is the best thing I've found to loosed up my lower back muscles.

Used to run it...
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 04, 2020 01:21PM
My wife likes this one:
[apps.apple.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 04, 2020 04:04PM
mattkime
>Ooh, wearable tech? I'm tempted but don't want to spend money on anything good right now. Maybe later.

Just print a calendar and mark days you succeed in doing whatever you think you need. Reward yourself, make it fun. Sounds like you're in a good place to get started.

IMO, fitness apps are good if you them find them fun (they rarely are) or use them to modify your behavior. They're a little entertainment off to the side of the main attraction, doing the activity.

I do this too. I print out calendar months and mark stuff down. I use MyFitnessPal to record noms, and just hold my phone when I run, which uses Runkeeper or Nike or MapMyRun to keep the path and distance.

If I can't roll out of bed and start exercising for free, I'm just not going to get it done. I fall off every now and again. Then a friend or a cousin dies and I get back on it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 249
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020