advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Portable USB HDD as Online Clone?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 04, 2020 07:33PM
Elderly friend/client, recently migrated from Mavs to Sierra via USB3 SSD velcro'ed to back of iMac as startup disk....

Thinking about deploying 1TB USB3 HDD as 24/7/365 online local clone of SSD boot drive. Will have CCC mount/unmount USB clone for cloning increments. Any reason NOT to use portable/bus powered USB HDD for this? It will be attached to Anker USB3 hub w/ 60W/5A power supply that also is used for 3 other self-powered (2 wall warts + 1 internal P/S) full size USB drives, 1 TM, others lightly used archives. So should have ample power to not strain anything. Makes for easy emergency restore, or Grab 'n' Go, Take-It-With-You travel drive, while he can still travel.

I don't see any downside to such a portable drive, do y'all?
Please LMK any possible pitfalls for this arrangement.
Thanks.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Portable USB HDD as Online Clone?
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 04, 2020 09:02PM
Nope, sounds perfect. As a fwiw, another $10 will get you 2 TB.

Not sure what an "online" clone is.

I see zero need for the drive to mount and unmount.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 04, 2020 09:08PM
I think "online clone" does not mean online like in Internet, but something that is always connected to the Mac, always available for backup. you can use CCC to make bootable clones, or Time Machine for incremental backups. Both methods should work.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 05, 2020 01:53AM
jdc
I see zero need for the drive to mount and unmount.

I think it's to keep the elderly friend from getting confused about the extra drive icon on his Desktop.

I did something similar for my mom, using chflags hidden on the backup drive to hide the icon.

...Using an external 2.5-inch HD as a backup drive is SOP these days. I set those up all the time. Cheap and easily replaced when they inevitably fail in 3 years.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 05, 2020 02:51AM
I use Finder Preferences to uncheck Hard Discs it's out of the way.

I've had a 2T portable external HD connected to my AEBS running 24/7 for maybe four years.

I really should replace it with an SSD, but it's held up quite well.

There's nothing critical stored on it, so no worries if it were to die suddenly.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 05, 2020 11:17AM
Does Time Machine provide the same functionality or is it strictly a non-booting file bu?

BTW, I’ve found TM’s interface slow and confusing although I haven’t taken the time to really study it either (as you can tell from my question above).

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 05, 2020 11:46AM
Only possible gotcha might be the USB drive disappearing due to the system sleeping, and not remounting properly.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Date: February 05, 2020 12:06PM
Doc's correct, don't wanna confuse the old guy, or worse, have him mess w/ the "new icon on my desktop". And yes, "local online" was to describe it as always being attached to the high-powered Anker USB hub noted in OP, unless it goes traveling w/ him.... though he has pretty well trained himself to travel w/ his iPad. FWIW, his iPad Air is way lighter than our Mega iPad Pro, but when using, rather than schlepping, the latter's user experience is way better.

Ammo- TM itself is not bootable, but great for finding old documents that may have been lost, damaged, deleted, etc.. It can also be used in conjunction w/OS X's restore capabilities to create a new bootable volume. That's a total time sync-sink, so having a bootable clone available will get you back into battle as soon as you can hook it up. That also makes friendly tech support help a lot easier.

BTW, he already has the 1TB portable HDD, otherwise I probably woulda cajoled him into a 2TB model, though I suspect it'll never get to/past 400GB during either of our lifetimes.
Thanks all.
==
Date: February 05, 2020 12:15PM
ka jowct
Only possible gotcha might be the USB drive disappearing due to the system sleeping, and not remounting properly.

I thought/knew/still hope that CCC remembers what's attached, and where stuff is, and knows how to fetch, and mount any/all attached drives. If there's a problem, I'll probably be back here asking for help to rejigger the iMac's sleep settings. I thought CCC was like Disk Utility in its ability to "see" what's connected to the machine it's running on.

CCC's instructions talk about drives possibly not unmounting properly because something is in use, so the drive won't unmount. I haven't found the sleeping/improper remount problem addressed yet.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 142
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018