advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
To repair or not to repair - front loading washing machine likely needs new CPU
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 04, 2020 10:26PM
12 years old Maytag. Most say front loaders only last about 10 years, so maybe we are lucky anyway?

Replaced the inner liner a couple years ago, so it doesn't leak, etc.

Suddenly the board is all '0:00', google says that's a bad CPU.

No new parts available anywhere, but can get a used one off eBay for $40.

Probably take me a few hours to fix on a weekend.

The real issue for replacement is that we have this stacked with our dryer - not sure I can put the dryer on a replacement, so could be looking at a replacement dryer, too (both are 12 years old, though I rebuilt all of the dryer inner moving parts a couple years ago).

So, is it: be frugal and green, try to get a few more years out of the washer, time for a new washer (and see if we can keep the dryer), or new set? What does the great MRF wisdom say?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: To repair or not to repair - front loading washing machine likely needs new CPU
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 04, 2020 10:58PM
>No new parts available anywhere, but can get a used one off eBay for $40.

>Probably take me a few hours to fix on a weekend.

I think you answered your own question.

Re: To repair or not to repair - front loading washing machine likely needs new CPU
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 04, 2020 11:00PM
sekker
So, is it: be frugal and green, try to get a few more years out of the washer, time for a new washer (and see if we can keep the dryer), or new set? What does the great MRF wisdom say?

New set is prob 10X more efficient -- so more "green".

We bought a pair of Whirplools, dryer has an "eco" button. Takes longer, but less heat = less energy.

[www.lowes.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: February 04, 2020 11:14PM
mattkime
>No new parts available anywhere, but can get a used one off eBay for $40.

>Probably take me a few hours to fix on a weekend.

I think you answered your own question.

The risk is whether this part WILL fix the issue, or whether there is something else (or both) wrong.
Date: February 04, 2020 11:15PM
jdc
sekker

New set is prob 10X more efficient -- so more "green".

We bought a pair of Whirplools, dryer has an "eco" button. Takes longer, but less heat = less energy.

[www.lowes.com]

Good point, and we will compare. But the set we purchased 12 years ago was one of the top energy efficient models we could purchase at the time.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 05, 2020 12:22AM
And you could get a window moblie phone 12 years ago too ;)

A nice Sony

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 05, 2020 06:16AM
new CPU: Intel or AMD? That is the real question!
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 05, 2020 07:02AM
Forty or fifty bucks I would try the board.

It is more green to keep the old one.

Green to your pocket and it isn't in a landfill yet.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 05, 2020 07:28AM
A new set will last about 7 years according to the guy at Sears. My niece bought a Samsung set. They lasted 7 years.
Date: February 05, 2020 07:33AM
Bernie
Forty or fifty bucks I would try the board.

It is more green to keep the old one.

Green to your pocket and it isn't in a landfill yet.

Yep, that’s the verdict this morning. Will see how it goes.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: February 05, 2020 07:38AM
One additional thought - since the dryer is working ok - you might be able to sell it locally to offset some of the cost of a new set if you decide to go in that direction - someone handy might even buy the washer and fix it themselves.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 05, 2020 08:12AM
Dennis S
A new set will last about 7 years according to the guy at Sears. My niece bought a Samsung set. They lasted 7 years.

IMO that becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 05, 2020 08:41AM
12 yo Maytag is pre Whirlpool ownership.
We have Kenmore by Whirlpool beasts that are 18 yo.
I have only replaced 1 mechanical part. And them f'krs get beat up.
I think my spouse washes bricks in there sometimes.

I suggest re-seating any and all connectors before and perhaps a bit of contact cleaner at the same time. Humidity in a washer can show up as odd symptoms.

Me, I'd try the new board; though I'd investigate, before, with any number of Appliance forums and see if anyone can affirm that.

I like these guys. Been very helpful to me on all appliances.
[www.appliance411.com].

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 05, 2020 09:05AM
if it turns out it is not the board, you can resell it on eBay.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 05, 2020 10:00AM
I'd do the repair. $40 is nothing compared to the cost and hassle of getting a new machine. This "they only last 10 years" thing is BS IMHO. Most appliances are relatively durable and easy to fix compared to something like a car. I've done several component replacements on my washing machine and dishwasher. The washing machine is now going on 18 years old and the dishwasher lasted was going strong at 30 years old (I just replaced it a few months ago because the wife didn't like the rusting out racks which I could no longer find replacements for).

It is true that energy efficiency goes up with time, though the big gains came about 25 years ago...more recent gains are only incremental.

Oh, one more thing...the personal satisfaction that comes with fixing a broken appliance is priceless.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2020 10:01AM by davester.
Date: February 05, 2020 10:03AM
davester
Oh, one more thing...the personal satisfaction that comes with fixing a broken appliance is priceless.

even if there are a lot of new 4 letters words invented in the process.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 05, 2020 10:52AM
I would do the repair, and feel lucky it is a model you are actually allowed to repair.

If it had a John Deere logo on it, they would take it away for six months and charge you 75% the cost of a new model to do something simple like change the gas cap.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: February 05, 2020 11:04AM
Filliam H. Muffman
If it had a John Deere logo on it, they would take it away for six months and charge you 75% the cost of a new model to do something simple like change the gas cap.

Chevy does that with their pick ups.

!#$@@$#!

Date: February 05, 2020 11:52AM
Fritz
davester

even if there are a lot of new 4 letters words invented in the process.

And I've already had the 'opportunity' to get all sorts of priceless feelings repairing these machines already...!

(Though the complete disassembly/reassembly of the dryer means I could keep it running as long as I could get the parts).
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 05, 2020 12:37PM
....if you repair....remember to use a......slow.....hand......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: February 05, 2020 08:28PM
This might be an option as well FixYourBoard | Control Board Repair
Date: February 05, 2020 10:46PM
DewGuy
This might be an option as well FixYourBoard | Control Board Repair

Wow, they fix a LOT of stuff!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 274
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018