advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So, What Do We Think About Air Fryers?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 05, 2020 12:16PM
stumbled into an internet rabbit hole about air fryers. more interesting to me than the InstaPot craze. i've been eating healthier and looking for ways beyond sautéing veggies. Meal kits have introduced me to roasting veggies but on my own somehow i have inertia about firing up the entire oven.

i am cooking for one and have a small amount of counter space available. anyone love or hate theirs?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So, What Do We Think About Air Fryers?
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 05, 2020 12:33PM
Bought one from BestBuy back when they were on sale last year; we used it steadily for a month, experimenting with this or that. Chicken strips & chicken breasts turned out great. Ditto fried pickles & veggies; I'm told especially fried mushrooms (I can't eat mushrooms) by my daughter. Tried a few other meats and etc. Reheated pizza too; crust was nice & crispy.

We don't use it as much anymore, but it gets utilized once a week or thereabouts.

It's spelled " y'all "

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 05, 2020 12:41PM
I'm in the minority that believes most 'Air Fryers' are costly, one-trick ponies.

I have the Panasonic NB-W250S Convection/Infrared TO. Among its many
uses. it does air frying. It also cooks pizza,toasts, bakes, broils, & also 'browns'
meat that are cooked by sous vide without over cooking.

Here's an earlier, related thread.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: August West
Date: February 05, 2020 12:48PM
I got one of the Phillips XL 1/2 off from Woot many years ago. It's great for cooking lots of different things and I enjoy using it. Basically you are getting a prosumer convection oven. Recommendations today often go to large toaster overs with air-fry. I've looked, and you'll need to be a little careful shopping for those. These toaster ovens get so large that I refer to them as mini-ovens, and to get a viable product, you really need one with 2 levels of convection. Many will advertise as a seeming air fryer, but they are in essence a regular convection toaster oven. It's been awhile, but I believe I liked the cusinart chef's convection toaster oven for that route.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 05, 2020 01:00PM
It really depends on what you want it for. There are multiple use versions that really expand the functions.

Amazon has an oven that will microwave, toast, convection oven, and air fry.

This was on sale yesterday at Worst (best) Buy for something like $60 but I got distracted and forgot to post. It is only bake, toast, air-fry/convection.

$100 - Gourmia - 12-in-1 [BestBuy.com]

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: rz
Date: February 05, 2020 01:12PM
Wife made me buy her one. She used it once. It's been sitting on the counter for over a year, unused.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 05, 2020 01:15PM
....so you have to bring home the bacon.....and air fry it in a pan.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: February 05, 2020 01:18PM
We got one for Christmas, so far I'm pretty unimpressed.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 05, 2020 01:40PM
Today's 1-day sale at BestBuy - Make sure you read the reviews...

$60 - Bella - Pro Series 6-Slice Toaster Oven Air Fryer - 1800 W [BestBuy.com]

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2020 01:51PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 05, 2020 01:42PM
My brother-in-law buys every new thing that comes along. One time I overheard him say to no one in particular: "I'm not sure I like this thing."
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 05, 2020 02:28PM
We bought one a year ago and brought it home and unpacked it. Put it on the counter and were unhappily impressed with how large it was. We decided we wouldn't use it and packed it back up and returned it. We haven't been tempted since.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 05, 2020 03:52PM
I have the Panasonic NB-W250S Convection/Infrared TO. Among its many
uses. it does air frying. It also cooks pizza,toasts, bakes, broils, & also 'browns'
meat that are cooked by sous vide without over cooking.

I've got one and though it may be more than a one-trick pony, I find it pretty quirky at best.

There seem to be a lot of limitations in it's alleged functions, and the manual isn't particularly helpful.

One question: the beep is barely audible. I can only hear it when I'm with in a couple feet, and half- or better listen for it. Run some water in the sink and I'll never hear it.

There's no setting listed in the bare bones 'manual' so I have to assume it's a defect. I looked to see if there were something covering something that might affect the volume, but didn't see anything.

How's yours sound?

I may certainly just be uninitiated in this TO's operation, but at the moment, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: February 05, 2020 04:28PM
I have this air fryer (but purchased at Home Depot). It's also a toaster oven, rotisserie, and dehydrator. We love it! I even named it Kitchen Baby. It gets used several times per week. I was even considering ditching our toaster because this thing makes great toast. I don't think my family would go for that though as they're too set in their ways when it comes to "toast." It's also great to use in the summer when you want to use the oven but...you don't want to use the oven. It definitely has to be out on the counter though. I wouldn't want to have to take it out from wherever to use it every time.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 05, 2020 05:19PM
How's yours sound?

Mine is faint also, my MW sounds like a locomotive by comparison!

Thinking of opening it up to see if I can "pump up the volume" easily.

Here's the link to a Wiki @ SD on how to use the Panny.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: DinerDave
Date: February 05, 2020 05:24PM
I was a hold out on the whole Instapot?Air Fryer craze. Had a few friends say they were great. Looked at some in stores and thought they looked and felt flimsy. I didn't want to spend $179 and up on something I'd use twice and then store in the basement.
Thanks, to me commenting at one point that all the competing companies are adding more and more features to make their's better, My wife bought me one for Christmas.
It's a multifunction Ninja Foodi. Has the Pressure cook, (Insteps is a brand) and it air crisps, (again, Air Fry is a brand). I am impressed with it so far. The pressure cook part is speedy, I had no such tool. The air crisp is my favorite so far, as I have been trying to find a way to mimic fried foods for a long time. I do grill outside as much as possible, but I love fried food, just not the calories. I know from 20 yrs in restaurants how many carols and fat are in that oil. Anyway, it also sears, bakes, steam, broil, slow cooks, and dehydrates. Most likely, the quick pressure cook and air crisp will be the most used functions for mesas I still grill, and have larger crock pots that will hold more.

YMMV, but the several times I have "experimented" so far have been a success.
Key is getting a good one that does all you need, not 4 separate machines for cooking.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Date: February 05, 2020 05:30PM
Got a model number, Dave?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: February 05, 2020 05:59PM
Love mine. They’ll pry it from my piping hot, GB&D fingers.
Date: February 05, 2020 06:10PM
graylocks

Why yes.

OP302 It's a 6.5 qt capacity.
Some models are available as an 8 Qt.
Being that we are empty nesters now, the 6.5 Qt should be fine for most needs.

I'm using it constantly, maybe 2-3 times a week, depending on weather, still want to grill or smoke when possible, but I feel this is a good versatile tool to have in my cooking arsenal.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Date: February 05, 2020 06:11PM
DinerDave
graylocks

Why yes.

OP302 It's a 6.5 qt capacity.
Some models are available as an 8 Qt.
Being that we are empty nesters now, the 6.5 Qt should be fine for most needs.

I'm using it constantly, maybe 2-3 times a week, depending on weather, still want to grill or smoke when possible, but I feel this is a good versatile tool to have in my cooking arsenal.

Dave

Ha! I meant to say NOT constantly, but I'm glad I have it, it is useful

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Date: February 05, 2020 06:11PM
graylocks

.......it's probably this one.....it folds up too to save space.......

The Ninja® Foodi™ Digital Air Fry Oven, Convection Oven, Toaster, Air Fryer, Flip-Away for Storage, 1800 watts, Stainless Steel, SP100

yes......this is the one.....?!

Date: February 05, 2020 06:45PM
NewtonMP2100
graylocks

.......it's probably this one.....it folds up too to save space.......

The Ninja® Foodi™ Digital Air Fry Oven, Convection Oven, Toaster, Air Fryer, Flip-Away for Storage, 1800 watts, Stainless Steel, SP100

yes......this is the one.....?!

Nope, but they have many to choose from, gotta pick and choose what fits your needs the best.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: February 05, 2020 07:59PM
I adore mine and use it multiple times every day. The Cuisinart TOA60, I think. I have not turned my oven on since I got it and don’t have a toaster oven. I make everything from pizza to cupcakes in it, delicious "fried" tempura, fritters, zucchini sticks, you name it. I love crispy stuff but it also bakes well. I like it for Dutch Baby pancakes, too.
Date: February 05, 2020 10:57PM
MRF rarely disappoints. this has yielded a dizzying array of information. i have my research cut out for me. thank you so much, all!

Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 06, 2020 01:47PM
It really seems like more of a counter space problem than an appliance problem. I would suspect that if we all had sufficient counter space in our kitchens, we'd have more of these types of appliances, and they would get used on a more regular basis.
==
Date: February 06, 2020 02:16PM
....ditto for the bedroom.......

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 06, 2020 03:26PM
Here's the link to a Wiki @ SD on how to use the Panny.

Thanks, but it's a very limited how-to, so not any help for me.

This is one time a deal, for me is– not so much.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: John B.
Date: February 07, 2020 01:18PM
I have the Best Buy - Bella model in the thread above. It replaced a 30-year-old Black & Decker toaster oven and a stand-alone air fryer (the typical ones you see with fan/controls above and pull-out basket).

Bought it after reading several write-ups that the "best air fryer" is a air fryer/toaster combo. [thewirecutter.com]

The Bella has much greater capacity than my countertop air fryer did. It's faster than the countertop air fryer was. It's almost too hot...it toasts at 450 degrees, so running toast at a setting higher than 2 (on a scale of 7) may result in some charred edges on thinner bread.

Air frying example...frozen breaded mozzarella sticks. If I put them in the Bella prior to the preheat cycle, they will be cooked (to the point of cheese starting to leak out) after preheat + about 3 minutes of air fry. Pro tip: if you want stuff to be crunchy in an air fryer, spray it with just a little bit of your favorite cooking oil (I use supermarket-brand canola oil in an aerosol can).
Posted by: qdog2
Date: February 07, 2020 04:58PM
I'm in the Phillips camp for air fryers. I bought the smallest one they made but wish I had the largest so I could cook a whole chicken. The starfish bottom in the Phillips air fryer helps it cook on both sides at the same time so there is no need to turn the food over.

Portsmouth, Va
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 270
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018