advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Catalina install on old hardware part 2: 2GHz quad core i7 Mac Mini server
Posted by: hal
Date: February 05, 2020 03:40PM
A while ago I ran an experiment installing Catalina on a 12 year old computer (2008 Macbook AL) [forums.macresource.com] and it went great. It was surprisingly responsive - at least as good as running the last supported OS, 10.11.

This time, I upgraded the installer to 10.15.3 and threw that at a quad core i7 2011 Mac Mini Server and the results are awesome! It certainly runs much better on this computer with 16GB of RAM and a 2.128TB Fusion Drive than the actually supported 2014 mac mini with 1.4GHz dual i5 and 4GB of fixed for life RAM.

Using this guys' software [dosdude1.com] and his tutorial [www.youtube.com].

I followed every step exactly and it worked perfectly
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Catalina install on old hardware part 2: 2GHz quad core i7 Mac Mini server
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 05, 2020 05:13PM
hal
A while ago I ran an experiment installing Catalina on a 12 year old computer (2008 Macbook AL) [forums.macresource.com] and it went great. It was surprisingly responsive - at least as good as running the last supported OS, 10.11.

This time, I upgraded the installer to 10.15.3 and threw that at a quad core i7 2011 Mac Mini Server and the results are awesome! It certainly runs much better on this computer with 16GB of RAM and a 2.128TB Fusion Drive than the actually supported 2014 mac mini with 1.4GHz dual i5 and 4GB of fixed for life RAM.

Using this guys' software [dosdude1.com] and his tutorial [www.youtube.com].

I followed every step exactly and it worked perfectly

LOL on the 1.4 Dual i5. I use that same computer as my file/media server at home but with a 500GB WD Black NVMe drive so RAM swapping is at least tolerable.

That's good to hear the Quad 2.0 2011 went so well. My 2.3 dual 2011 10.14.6 decided to crap out for some reason, probably something with the 2020-001 Security update.

Or user error.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: February 05, 2020 11:36PM
I have the same Mac Mini Server as you do hal, I just recently upgraded the internal drives to two 1TB SSDs. I went through the process of upgrading the 10.15 with no success. Some notes here that I recall from this past December 2019:

(1) I created DosDude1's bootable Catalina thumb drive on my 2017 MacBookAir7,2 (10.15.1). Using that bootable thumb drive on my MacMini, it boots. It also allows me to make sure that both new SSDs are APFS GUID. When I select the Install option, it fails instantly followed by this dialogue box: "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." I tried multiple attempts with two different bootable thumb drive creations (on same thumb drive).

(2) To create bootable thumb drive, I used DosDude1's latest patcher along with my previously downloaded Catalina installer that resides on my MacBookAir7,2. I made the bootable drive twice, made sure it was MacOS Extended (Journaled). Continuing to trouble shoot here attempting to figure where I dropped the ball.

(3) The MacMini boots just fine with the old 10.13.6 hard drive on the USB. Subsequently, I put the old 10.13.6 drive in a firewire enclosure. Used the recovery to install 10.13.6 onto the mini (for now). I migrated my data back over to 10.13 for now...

hal - If you have any insights to share, let me know. Thanks...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2020 11:37PM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 06, 2020 06:29AM
SKYLANE
I have the same Mac Mini Server as you do hal, I just recently upgraded the internal drives to two 1TB SSDs. I went through the process of upgrading the 10.15 with no success. Some notes here that I recall from this past December 2019:

(1) I created DosDude1's bootable Catalina thumb drive on my 2017 MacBookAir7,2 (10.15.1). Using that bootable thumb drive on my MacMini, it boots. It also allows me to make sure that both new SSDs are APFS GUID. When I select the Install option, it fails instantly followed by this dialogue box: "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." I tried multiple attempts with two different bootable thumb drive creations (on same thumb drive).

(2) To create bootable thumb drive, I used DosDude1's latest patcher along with my previously downloaded Catalina installer that resides on my MacBookAir7,2. I made the bootable drive twice, made sure it was MacOS Extended (Journaled). Continuing to trouble shoot here attempting to figure where I dropped the ball.

(3) The MacMini boots just fine with the old 10.13.6 hard drive on the USB. Subsequently, I put the old 10.13.6 drive in a firewire enclosure. Used the recovery to install 10.13.6 onto the mini (for now). I migrated my data back over to 10.13 for now...

skyline, I had the same error or a very similar error on a 2012 Mac mini which is supported in Catalina, without any patch. I was trying to update from 10.9.5 to 10.15.3, and it was missing some firmware updates, but the error message was not very clear. I had a USB Installed.

When I wanted to put the Mavericks back on it, then it told me it was missing firmware updates to deal with the new file system.

I reformatted the drive back to HFS+, reinstalled Mavericks, I booted from a recover partition and then I installed Catalina using the small stump (20 MB) and let it download the rest and probably the firmware updates...

But I see you are already at 10.13.6, so my only advice is to make sure you apply all firmware and all security updates before trying to installed Catalina again.
Posted by: decay
Date: February 06, 2020 08:24AM
Y'all know that Catalina doesn't support FireWire booting, right?

*sigh*

---
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 06, 2020 09:56AM
decay

*sigh*

didn't know that.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: February 06, 2020 11:55AM
Does a Mac see a FireWire drive connected through a Thunderbolt hub as being FW or TB?
Posted by: hal
Date: February 06, 2020 01:24PM
Likely a bad installer file. Download a new one and go through the process again.

SKYLANE

Posted by: decay
Date: February 06, 2020 11:11PM
space-time
decay

*sigh*

didn't know that.

macOS Catalina Known Issues
[bombich.com]

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 174
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020