advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The government has cracked down on some robocallers. One alleged robocaller fined $100 million.
Posted by: Buck
Date: February 05, 2020 04:40PM
I hope this fixes it.

[finance.yahoo.com]

The government has cracked down on some robocallers, even going so far as to fine one alleged robocaller $100 million.

But for a long time, companies that allow robocallers to use their services have been left to do their thing — and in the process unleashed billions of robocalls on the annoyed public. The involvement of many voice-over-IP — internet-based phone — companies in enabling robocalling has been a dirty secret in the telecom industry.

Recently, the government has begun to crack down on companies that enable bad actors to scam and harass. This week, the Federal Communications Commission sent letters to six phone companies asking them to stop allowing international robocalls to enter the U.S., and to participate in traceback efforts to track down the sources.

This follows actions from the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission in reining in the companies that facilitate international robocalls.

“The last couple months have been a tremendous breakthrough in government enforcement,” Patrick Halley, of USTelecom, told Yahoo Finance. USTelecom runs the Industry Traceback Group, which consists of 30 telecom companies that trace origins of illegal robocalls. (Yahoo Finance’s parent company Verizon, is a member of this trade group.)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The government has cracked down on some robocallers. One alleged robocaller fined $100 million.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 05, 2020 05:00PM
Who will inform us about our Medical Braces?
Re: The government has cracked down on some robocallers. One alleged robocaller fined $100 million.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 05, 2020 05:12PM
And warn me of my computer virus.

That fine was in June of 2017. And I doubt if the government collected much of it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2020 05:19PM by Speedy.
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 05, 2020 05:57PM
A money hit is fine, but they really need to spend some time in jail...with a phone ringing incessantly in their cell 24/7.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 05, 2020 06:10PM
sent letters to six phone companies asking them to stop

Yes, that'll work.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 05, 2020 07:30PM
I hope they fine the political callers and political SMS spammers.

They are the worst right now.

More specifically: Mike Bloomberg's campaign.

Posted by: space-time
Date: February 05, 2020 07:32PM
Sarcany

how did they get your number?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 05, 2020 07:45PM
I have a feeling it is only going to reduce the marginally legal calls. I have gotten four fake SSN calls so far this week.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 05, 2020 08:02PM
space-time
Sarcany

Dunno. I got a few texts from the Sanders campaign awhile back. I assume that they pulled it from some commercial database. Then, I started getting texts from all of the democratic campaign and local democratic committees. I think the Sanders campaign sold their database to the others.

They're supposed to stop texting you if you text back the word STOP, but they don't.

I've gotten 2-3 political texts each week since last October, but that changed this week.

This week, I've gotten 19 texts from different phone numbers, all between 4pm and 6pm and all from Bloomberg. I wasn't going to vote for him anyway, but this has surely set that in stone. He can go F himself.

...I've reported it to the FCC. (Fat lot of good it'll do.)

Posted by: vision63
Date: February 05, 2020 08:07PM
Sarcany
space-time
Sarcany

Dunno. I got a few texts from the Sanders campaign awhile back. I assume that they pulled it from some commercial database. Then, I started getting texts from all of the democratic campaign and local democratic committees. I think the Sanders campaign sold their database to the others.

They're supposed to stop texting you if you text back the word STOP, but they don't.

I've gotten 2-3 political texts each week since last October, but that changed this week.

This week, I've gotten 19 texts from different phone numbers, all between 4pm and 6pm and all from Bloomberg. I wasn't going to vote for him anyway, but this has surely set that in stone. He can go F himself.

...I've reported it to the FCC. (Fat lot of good it'll do.)

I'm getting them from local races too.

Nothing is more nakedly, desperately greedy than a political campaign. Imagine we advocated for ourselves with that strength? We'd be rich.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 05, 2020 08:19PM
Buck

The government has cracked down on some robocallers, even going so far as to fine one alleged robocaller $100 million.

oooooo, I bet they're shaking in their boots ...

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 05, 2020 11:28PM
How will I know if my Social Security Number has been suspended, or if the IRS has filed a lawsuit against me, or if Microsoft has gone out of business and needs to send me a refund, or if someone wants to tell me something in Mandarin with music in the background. And then there are all of the rest that just hang up when the answering machine answers.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 06, 2020 10:04AM
Y'all did it to yourselves. You give your number out to everyone, then wonder why you get inundated with calls. Several websites keep begging me to provide them with my cell number. Nope, can't have it. I get maybe one spam call a week on my cell, if that. Almost none leave a message.

We have Ooma for our home number. We get a few spam calls on that, but we never answer unless we know the number. If they leave a message, and it's spam, they immediately get blocked.
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 06, 2020 12:22PM
rz
Y'all did it to yourselves. You give your number out to everyone, then wonder why you get inundated with calls.

Not quite, many of these, like the types I listed above are calling EVERY phone number, they have no idea who they're calling, they're phishing for that information.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 06, 2020 03:15PM
GGD
rz
Y'all did it to yourselves. You give your number out to everyone, then wonder why you get inundated with calls.

Not quite, many of these, like the types I listed above are calling EVERY phone number, they have no idea who they're calling, they're phishing for that information.

If that's true, why don't I get more calls? Like I said, I get maybe one or two scam calls a week. If all the scammers (or even a small subset of them) are calling EVERY number, why don't I get more? Most of the ones I do get are obvious spoofed numbers because they have the same prefix as my cell. But I don't know anyone who has the same prefix, so I never answer them. When I got my cell, I had to get a prefix for an area that's about 30 miles away from me. I rarely go to that city, so there's not even a business there that I patronize.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 06, 2020 03:16PM

Which is one of, if not the very definition of robocalling.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 297
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018