advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA: Some aftermarket keyboards (even wired) won't let you boot into Recovery Mode
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 06, 2020 10:34AM
A year or so back, I got my wife a new keyboard for her iMac -- the Matias FK403Q (here it is @ MacSales). It's damn near an exact visual replacement for the bundled Apple keyboard, with the exception of an added volume wheel on the back of the board. She barely noticed I replaced the original board (save for the fact that suddenly a couple of keys were suddenly working again, so I called it a win.

Flash forward to a year of occasional problems and attempts to boot into Recovery Mode. I could *never* get her Mac to boot into Recovery -- either onboard (Opt R) or internet (Cmd Opt R or Cmd Shift Opt R).

Last week, while trying to boot into it (again) in order to move her to Catalina (clone drive, boot into Internet Recovery, nuke & pave, restore user from clone), I tried again and again. I couldn't understand it. As I was moving the iMac from her (very cluttered) desk to the kitchen table (you know things were getting serious then) I saw the matias logo on the bottom of the keyboard. On a whim, I grabbed the keyboard from my son's old iMac, hooked it up, and attempted a boot into Internet Recovery.

Worked like a charm. No problems at all; not a hiccup.

Now, I've used 3rd party keyboards myself most of my Mac-using life, going back to the Adesso Tru-Form and Nu-Form in the ADB days to my current board-of-choice, the Kinesis Freestyle 2 for Mac. I can't recall ever having this issue with a third-party keyboard, though wireless (either bluetooth or USB transmitter) are touch & go on the key-combo startup. (I've never had a problem with my (wired) Kinesis during startup.)

Just FYI.

It's spelled " y'all "

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: Some aftermarket keyboards (even wired) won't let you boot into Recovery Mode
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 06, 2020 10:50AM
Zoidberg

As I was moving the iMac from her (very cluttered) desk to the kitchen table (you know things were getting serious then) I saw the matias logo on the bottom of the keyboard. On a whim, I grabbed the keyboard from my son's old iMac, hooked it up, and attempted a boot into Internet Recovery.

Worked like a charm. No problems at all; not a hiccup.

Just FYI.

The keyboard is one of the first things I grab. For one thing I am the only wired Apple keyboard in the house.

Bluetooth Apple keyboards are hit and miss.

The old school Matias with the clickidee keys I remember working correctly. It also came with a CD with drivers.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2020 02:41PM by Bernie.
Re: PSA: Some aftermarket keyboards (even wired) won't let you boot into Recovery Mode
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 06, 2020 11:29AM
Bernie
The old school Matias with the clickidee keys I remember working correctly. It also came with a CD with drivers.

I remember that. This one was just the board.

Ditto the Matias ergo board I bought some years ago. Just the board & wires. Man, it was a gorgeous piece of kit; clean, solid looking, well-built -- but not a good board for keyboarding, b'c it had a key input/repeat problem. I thought it might've been just the board I got; reported it and they replaced.

Same issue, but on the other side of the split. Reading reviews on Amazon & etc. for both the Mac and PC versions, seems like I was not the only one.

Replaced with the Kinesis Freestyle I mentioned and have been very happy.

It's spelled " y'all "

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 06, 2020 11:52AM
I have a couple of 3rd party KBs with the same issue, so I always keep a wired Apple KB in a drawer for Option Boot or CMD-R boot.
Posted by: clay
Date: February 06, 2020 11:57AM
So, what options do people have for wired apple keyboards that facilitate booting into recovery mode? Are there any USB models? Do the new apple wireless keyboards do it?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 06, 2020 01:13PM
Lew Zealand
I have a couple of 3rd party KBs with the same issue, so I always keep a wired Apple KB in a drawer for Option Boot or CMD-R boot.

agree smiley

No clue, why/how/when/where, but have pretty much always had a viable kb handy, rather than to troubleshoot non-compliance w/ desired kb commands. Some workstation iterations here even had wired kb attached full time, and hidden until needed. Many years ago I found an Inland slim, small form factor Mac kb that has worked on every Mac I've tried it with, but it's so old now that I wasn't able to find a pic of it online. It fits handily in the back of the top desk drawer until needed. While there may be anecdotal solutions to 3rd party kb's misbehavior online, it just seems like there are too many variables to possibly deal with, when keeping a viable kb handy is such an easy solve.
==
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 06, 2020 07:19PM
The trick is to hit the keys on the keyboard after the Mac loads firmware and before the OS loads. This is true of all Bluetooth keyboard and most 3rd party keyboards.

In the past, you could use the boot-chime as a guide. Hit the keys right after the boot-chime and you'll nail the timing perfectly every time.

New Macs boot silently. On a reboot, you have to watch carefully for the screen-refresh and hit the keys immediately after the screen-refresh.

Posted by: space-time
Date: February 06, 2020 08:10PM
I press the keys first and then reboot.

It always seems to work with Apple keyboards. Not sure about wired 3rd party keyboards, I only have one cherry that I do not use often with Macs.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 07, 2020 10:46AM
space-time
I press the keys first and then reboot.

It always seems to work with Apple keyboards...

Only on older Macs and only with wired keyboards.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 265
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018